Archinect
anchor

fired. now what?

joed

Right out of undergrad, you get a job at a pretty good firm. You work at said firm for about 8 or 9 months. For whatever reason, the firm fires you (assume it is justified). What do you do? When you apply to other firms, do you tell them about the past 8 or 9 months, what work you got done, what you learned, why you were fired, etc.? Or do you lie and say that you haven't worked since graduation? Or do you...

Mar 4, 05 3:03 pm
lking

was it justified? were you at fault?

i think that makes a difference in what you tell your future interviewers.

Mar 4, 05 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
joed

i said in the first post, assume it is justified.

Mar 4, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

Did "burn your bridge" at the firm? If not you need to talk with them and find out what they intend to say if a potential new employer calls.

By law, they can only verify that you worked there for a specific period but you never really know what will be said unless you ask.

Mar 4, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
joed

you mean that previous employers are somehow bound by law to not divulge information beyond the duration of employment? i've never heard this before. i thought the point of calling past employers was to find out what kind of worker you are (showing up on time, putting in x amount of effort, being a team player, etc. etc.).

Mar 4, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i bet your grammar and spelling wasn't up to par... that will get you fired ASAP

Mar 4, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
joed

hey, good one. your concern for tact is on par with your concern for the english language. you ass.

Mar 4, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
lking

i'm starting to see why you got fired

Mar 4, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Stewart Hicks

Whoa, I think she was making a joke regarding the 'why are architect's such bad spellers' thread. Easy there killer.

Mar 4, 05 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
joed

yeah, she was making an joke regarding my comments on that thread in what i consider to be a pretty inappropriate manner.

Mar 4, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
joed

there, a spelling mistake. i'm obviously a little shaken up. pardon my anger... just not in the best mood right now.

Mar 4, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

The minimum info that a firm must give is length of employment and whether the person is still employed there. It's the policy of many employers to ONLY give that info, because they fear defamation lawsuits if they say more. They are not legally prohibited from saying more though (as long as it is the truth.)
Architecture is a small world though, even in big cities - so it is likely that if you pretend you've been unemployed this whole time you might be found out anyway. Besides which, you do have 8 or 9 months of experience and you probably have a much better chance of being called for interviews in the first place if you list it than if you pretend to be completely entry-level and unemployed since graduation!

We have hired people in the past who have truthfully told us that they were dismissed. Generally they have said something to the effect of that they were "not well matched with" the previous firm. I think you could get away with a vague answer of that sort regardless of what the specific reason was - though you do need to figure that at least some prospective employers will attempt to check with your previous employer for more info.

If I found out that a previous employee was fired for issues related to lack of experience, poor time management issues, or even for honest mistakes, I would still probably take a chance on them (but try to make our expectations very clear and perhaps set up a probationary employment period.)
If I found out that the person had stolen from his employer, lied to him, knowingly broken firm policies, done something or other that he should have known would jeopardize a relationship with a client, harassed other employees, or anything else of a dishonest nature or demonstrating very poor judgement or immaturity then I would probably not hire them.

Mar 4, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

This may not be tactful either - haven't read the other thread - but it just reminded me that someone in my old office once put the boss' name, Norman, on a presentation, in three inch high letters, as:

NOMAN

Didn't go over well.

Mar 4, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

easy there. be nice. she was only joking with us.

Mar 4, 05 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
fairchildmj

eeay

I was under the impression that a past employer could also legally (and by that I mean with exemption from threat of a defamation claim) tell an evaluator that you are no longer considered "hirable". This is terminology I thought employers could use to safely cover all sorts of negative explanations for termination of employment. Am I mistaken?

Mar 4, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
joed

eeay, thanks, that's very helpful. the issues were mainly tardiness and absenteeism... basically an unfortunate combination of chronic headaches (missed days) and a temperamental alarm clock (late days). being fired was kind of unexpected, since staying late and working some weekends seemed to kind of equalize the situation. guess not. oh well.

also, i agree with daver that it would be wise to call and speak with the firm to fully understand the situation: why precisely did the firing happen, what would they say if potential employers called them, and any general advice they could give for the future.

Mar 4, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
plexus 1

anyone interested in speculating on the reason for joed's termination? i think his employer may have discovered his alias on archinect and realized how much time was diveretd from away form production.

Mar 4, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
joed

ha... well, i'll go ahead and spoil it... it's not i that was fired. i'm actually in studio right now.

Mar 4, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
joed

i think when i start working i'll have to come up with a more anonymous alias.

Mar 4, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

joed: yeah it'd be a good idea to have a better alias

fairchild: the previous employer can say anything that is true. It's just that many employers will not do so out of fear of litigation. Our own policy is to state facts only - in other words whether giving overall good or poor references we only relate examples, we avoid adjectives ("hard worker", "difficult", things like that.)
I think in joed's imaginary scenario, if I had fired him for repeated tardiness (which I probably would not do in real life as I believe in more of a get-the-work-done system than a time clock system), I could relate the number of times he was late and I could relate that he'd been warned about this - but I think if it had gotten to the point that I was considering firing him for it I probably would have given him a warning memo and made him sign it - so then I'd have evidence....
I suppose a firm could say that they no longer considered a person "hirable" in that firm. I don't think it would be a good idea to say that the person wasn't hirable in general. Personally I wouldn't use that term.

Mar 4, 05 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
joed

it's not imaginary, it's a friend of mine. hence the anger earlier.

Mar 4, 05 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
e

"also, i agree with daver that it would be wise to call and speak with the firm to fully understand the situation: why precisely did the firing happen"

wait, you didn't even find out why they fired you?

Mar 4, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

Donald Trump sez: I am very clear about this decisions...Joed, youred FIRED!!!!!

Mar 4, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
joed

again, it was a friend. there were the obvious reasons, but i haven't learned yet whether she had an extended conversation about the situation with her bosses, or whether they just sort of kicked her out the door. i've been in studio, will get more details later.

Mar 4, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

OOPS!!!!!

you're
you are

Mar 4, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

I see.
Well my advice is that he or she should probably use a brief explanation such as the "not well matched" one, or that there were "circumstances beyond my control which are no longer an issue."
The headaches issue is kind of complicated, because your friend could use this to explain the situation - especially if he/she is receiving some kind of treatment for this that might eliminate the problem in the future. On the other hand bringing it up at all may signal hypochondriac or malingerer to the potential employer. I think the specifics of this situation should be avoided in interviews if at all possible.

Repeated absence in particular can become a big problem with project coordination, client relations, etc. It's also a pretty clear-cut issue that former employers won't be as worried about mentioning - since timesheets should pretty much serve as documentation.
Most likely though your friend will find a busy firm that really needs somebody now, who won't check with the previous employer (especially if he/she provides some other, positive references.) Your friend should probably make a concentrated effort to be the model employee in this new position though, in order to create a more positive situation for future job hunts.

Mar 4, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
mm

If I were fired for justified reasons, in future interviews, I would try to show that I learned from the experience. Try to explain it as a life-lesson.

For instance, if I were fired for procrastinating, at interviews (and possibly even in cover letters) I would try to explain how I've changed my ways, how getting fired woke me up to the realities of the business world, and I'm a better person because I've been through the experience...

Mar 4, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
archetecton

joed,

once you contact the former employer and establish good terms with them, request a general letter of reference for your future use. LoR's are a good way to have the facts on-hand in interviews, and keep credible documentation of your employment history.

This usually only works when you leave under good circumstances or are replaced for lack of experience or some other reparable condition.

Mar 4, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

didja get fired cuz you were incapable of doing the job or because you came to work drunk? the first one can get you some unemployment.

Mar 4, 05 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

joed,

tell your friend to start interviewing, but mention that she was employed for the last 8 to 9 months. In fact, don't tell the new employers that she's left yet. When asked why she wants to leave, cite abusive to employees as the reason. Since she cannot give her current employer as a reference (because if they call, that will tip off her employer that she wants to leave) for job security reasons. No muss, no fuss.

(For those who are going to yell at me, here is my reason for dasterdly toward abusive employers: though it is understandable that architects are tireless, work ridiculous hours into the night, it is completely permissable to be late occasionally, say 9:25 or 9:33 if you are good enough to burn the midnight oil for an employer. Now if this said woman was missing client meetings, holding up deadlines, etc. or strolling in at noon with freshly painted nails, then i would say her termination was justified. However, it is unacceptable to can someone if they were good enough to be flexible with their schedules, ie, weekends and nights.)

Mar 4, 05 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just have her give my name and i'll give her a great recommendation!!!

Mar 4, 05 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

vado retro: actually being fired for being incapable of doing the job does not necessarily entitle you to unemployment. One of the many reasons that a person can be denied unemployment is representing themselves as being capable of doing the job when in fact they are not qualified. For example, if someone accepts a CAD position when they know that the job requires expert knowledge of a particular software, and they represent themselves as having this knowledge but it turns out that they aren't the expert they claimed to be, then the firm is free to fire them and their unemployment claim can be denied.

bzkr: a problem could arise with that plan after she is hired, if anyone at the new employer knows anyone at the old employer. Word sometimes gets back on things like that.

Mar 4, 05 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Hay, if architects want to talk to each other they are going to whether its “legal” or not. If you go around talking about filing defamation suites against people you can for get about anyone wanting to wok with you again. There are plenty of more civil ways to take care of yourself without mentioning “s” word unless you really have been wronged and you’re ready to go to war in serious way.

Also, complaining about your former or current boss or trying the “yeah I got fired but that guy was a jerk/ those guys suck” defense isn’t going to work. Everybody assumes that your are going to be a pain in the ass and saying the same thing about them in six months. Even is your boss is a jerk talk about all the ways you tried to make the best of it and to get your work done before you came to the conclusion that “it would be best…” or “we both just have really strong personalities…”

If you didn’t perform adequately you can talk about how you “got in over your head”. Which makes you seem overeager and can-do and just in need of some direction.

In my experience, it is always best for people to hear things from you first and you definitely get points for being self critical. The most important skills are coping skills. Talk about your coping skills.

Mar 4, 05 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

everyone should anticipate getting fired. you should compile a list of sharp biting humorous comments to respond to this event. don't get caught with your pants down. plan ahead. keep the list at the office and read it over once or twice a week. add to it and hone it. when the axe finally drops you will get a few licks in yourself and you won't feel so bad when security leads you to the door.

Mar 4, 05 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i've been fired. i don't tell.

Mar 4, 05 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

vado - hilarious! keep a list and review it biweekly. i will.

Mar 4, 05 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Strawbeary, do tell: what were you fired for?

Mar 4, 05 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
e

i've been fired along with my wife at that. how many people can say they got fired with their sig. other?

i tell. the story is so ridiculous that people just sit in amazed with jaws dropped.

Mar 4, 05 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I said I don't tell. But wouldn't you guys love to know. OK.

I was fired because the boss didn't like the smell of my shampoo. Summer after 4th year Barch, working in a very small civil/structural engineer's office, low key kinda place - t-shirts and jeans. Three rules: no perfume, heels or skirts. (We hand drafted and skirts don't mix under drafting tables for good reason. Our archives were up steep stairs so no heels and no perfume cause boss was allergic). I was "asked to leave" one day abrubtly because my hair smelled too strongly ---- three days before I was going back to school though. I had been warned but I didn't know how serious the smell of my shampoo was being taken. Damn that Herbal Essences.

So that's why I don't tell - cause it don't matter. I didn't burn any bridges. We're good. That boss was a good ol guy - just old, 72 years old, and strange.

Mar 4, 05 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

Just tell them you departed due to lack of work...they wont kow if it was you or them.

Mar 4, 05 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

know

Mar 4, 05 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

also to cover your ass, document any unethical practices executed in the office. ie stamping drawings that weren't done or reviewed in office.(this is pretty common actually and a nono carrying some stiff fines) dont do this to save your job but to increase your severence package.

Mar 5, 05 7:27 am  · 
 · 
Crumpets

There'a also a website out where you can report an employer who uses pirated software. Not sure how effective that is, but it could be fun to stir up a nuissance...

Also, if you haven't done this already, go to the unemployment office immediately and get your bi-weekly checks. I'm amazed how many people don't....it's free money that your former employer pays for. And, while you're there, mention that you think your co-worker from Peru doesn't have a visa...No company wants the DOL in their records.

Last, I've been fired too...although I can't really say that I was technically fired since I was a contract employee. Basically, I think a small faction of people in the company didn't like me and stopped giving me work. I went a little crazy. In the end I only worked there for 3 months and the company (a well-established corporate interiors firm) screwed me over. They were cheap....really cheap, as in I was technically making $30,000, but really only $20,000. Anyway, the story ends where I found a better firm and a better job in a matter of weeks, so it all worked out in the end. To me, a lot of people get fired simply because the chemistry isn't there. I wouldn't sweat it.

Mar 5, 05 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Mum

I wasn't "fired" but I was "laid off" right out of school and it wasn't because I was "incompetent", I had a "lack of experience". So basically, I was fired for incompetence. It's unusual for someone with less than 3 years experience NOT to be fired from one of their first jobs. Mainly because a firm hires cheap labor, then realizes they should have shelled out the money for a more experienced person.

First, your friend wasn't fired - she was laid off or let go. Second, she should be honest in that she was laid off. Her lack of experience will be apparent from the resume and that's all a potential employer needs to know. Her firm let her go because they needed someone more experienced. Let them assume that was the case - that is probably the most acurate truth if the whole story is known. She may not think so now, but she'll come to realize this in a few years. Unless she actually threatened someone with an X-acto knife! :)

Most empoyers would rather get a person on their second or third job than their first because they've been trained a little already. And architects know that they're a strange bunch. They don't look as badly on lay-offs as most people think. They're mostly grateful to get the products of lay-offs.

It happens to all of us. The thing to do is not make a habit of only being able to stay at a job for six months at a time over a stretch of five years.

Mar 5, 05 9:33 am  · 
 · 
sure2016

This may be bullshit but...

A friend of mine at GE said that 4 out of 5 Americans in the workforce has been fired or layed off at least once.

Mar 5, 05 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Mum

I think that's probably true. The only architect I know who hasn't ever been fired is a guy in my office who's been with us for 20 years.He has no other work experience.

On another note, I was also fired from Pizza Hut when I was in college! I am strangely proud of that.

Mar 5, 05 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i was fired from a work study job at the fine arts library for coming to work hung over and throwing up in the service elevator.

Mar 5, 05 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

Um. Gross.

I like Strawbeary's story. That's a classic.

Mar 5, 05 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
A

Ok, I have a close friend who had a similar situation happen to him. He got very upset with the profession and left after he got let go. That is the biggest mistake you can make. Many firms let fresh grads, 'interns' go when the slightest downturn occurs. Don't take it so hard. I'm sure you are very qualified and did good work.

Send out resumes and do the legwork to get fresh interviews. Put down your work history and wait for those interview. When asked why you were let go just be honest. Say you were a new employee and wasn't told much. Tell them you worked hard and thought you did good work. Tell them what you learned in your short tenure there. Be honest. Most emplyers will respect that.

It's not the end of the world. If you were in Minneapolis and I were interviewing you, I'd respect someone who tried and failed at one firm. I know our local firms that love to let fresh grad interns go for little or no reason. Who they let go are often the best employees we pick up. I'm sure others out there have similar experiences.

Mar 5, 05 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I was also "let go" but I never knew why and couldn't ask because I was going to cry...sob.. that was tough

must have been the lack of experience. but I'm glad it did happen because I'm not afraid of it anymore. I threatened my boos twice that I found another job and I'm leaving so they paid me more (otherwise they wouldn't).

Mar 6, 05 1:08 am  · 
 · 
joed

thanks for all the responses everybody.

Mar 7, 05 3:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: