Archinect
anchor

MIT MArch

guiggster

Despite what some have said, I can't seem to find much decent information on MIT's MArch program on this forum. Can someone enlighten me as to what MIT's program philosophy is? Is it heavily technology, theory, design? I am coming from a BA in Architectural Studies which is basically a history/theory program and a minor in Philosophy. To dumb this down a bit: is MIT heavy on the math and computers?

Mar 1, 05 10:05 am
RNNR

To respond to your simplified question in a word, no - of course the long answer being that there are separate divisions of discipline groups at MIT one of which is called Design and Computation. Additionally, there are several professors and PhD's that have a particular interest to computation so that sort of approach is readily available, but not required (Mark Goulthorpe, et al).

For me (a current MIT MArch), the department structure lends itself to a balanced view - for example, within the first 2 years there is an even exposure to Building Technologies, History/Theory/Criticism, Visual Arts, and Design (said subjects being the other available discipline groups). The final year and thesis give the opportunity to explore your own direction. Theses (or elective concentrations for that matter) are ususally quite diverse for the M.Arch program; students have the option to lean toward the discipline of their preference, some gravitate to the theoretical, some focus on computation, etc.

Regarding your personal background in history/theory/philosophy, it seems to be entirely welcome - for example, my studiomates have backgrounds as diverse as art history, computer science, and sculpture.

Mar 1, 05 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: