Archinect
anchor

What are some good resources/examples/books on temporary spaces?

LBG

I cant seem to find anything substantial.

Feb 28, 05 12:02 pm
hutch

example:

mobile aids clinic - check out architecture for humanity website

Feb 28, 05 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

LBG - what do you need this for? studio project? have you thought about documenting the temporal spaces of street/flea/farmer's markets?

Feb 28, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
LBG

This is for a thesis project, investigating the current variations/conditions of temporary space and the potential that design can have on these types of spaces. The mobile aids clinic has some interesting work, I went to a lecture by the director, and the street/flea/farmer's markets suggestion is an angle I never thought of! Thanks and keep it coming!

Feb 28, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
will/leglo

currently in the archinect news column is pics and articles about the shigeru ban-designed temporary art museum, built with shipping containers...

Feb 28, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
ross

I think Lindy Roy designed an Elivs Presley museum in the trailer of an 18 wheeler.

Also, some Japanese temples are rebuilt every 25 years on adjacent sites. Can't remember any names though.

Feb 28, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
e

not all hits listed below, but trying a place like amazon or google is a good start. i just used "temporary architecture" and "temporary spaces" to search by. i'm sure you good try other words more specific to your interests.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=dp_searchBox_1/104-3598121-5339157?url=index%3Dbooks%26dispatch%3Dsearch%26results-process%3Dbin&field-keywords=temporary+architecture

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dbooks%26field-keywords%3Dtemporary%252520space%26store-name%3Dbooks/104-3598121-5339157

Feb 28, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
mm

There was a course on "Temporary Urbanism" at the GSD a few years ago. I didn't take the course, but the syllabus might be useful. You might check out the Harvard website and see if anything is still posted.

Feb 28, 05 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

everythings temporary as long as u got the will and a wrecking ball

Feb 28, 05 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Sometime since last March, there was a house featured on the cover of....can't quite remember...Architecture? Dwell? I'll look it up at work tomorrow, I know I scanned it... Anyway, it was in the southwest, and the architects expanded the living quarters by building bedroom "pods" in the backyard out of shipping containers. The idea was that the pods could be moved to a new location in the future, like in the old days, when mobile homes were actually more mobile.

Feb 28, 05 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

manhattan transcripts by Bernard Tschumi

Mar 1, 05 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
LA-Architekt

mark fisher

Mar 2, 05 3:49 am  · 
 · 
French

Van Liesout

Mar 2, 05 4:46 am  · 
 · 
pazdon

jennifer siegal's OMD (office for mobile design) and her book called MOBILE. also, check out FTL design studio for temporary lightweight structures (www.ftlstudio.com). ice fishing shacks. camping tents. scaffolding.

Mar 2, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
e909

"with so much space, why are you always getting in my space?"

Mar 2, 05 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: