Archinect
anchor

East coast schools, west coast, what about the middle?

bzkr

We all know that the east coast schools are strong, coveted and respected, west coast you have sci-arc and some others, and maybe rice down south. Are the rest of the schools, specifically the "solid" mid-western considered the same, or more importantly, significant to those on the coasts? Or is it just the same old provincial view that the rest of the country is just fly over zone?

Feb 28, 05 1:05 am

while it's convenient for those on the coasts to think about us as 'fly-over', the midwest has plenty of activity - and the schools are doing some great work.

depending what range of midwest you include, you've got solidly ranked university of cincinnati (which also has an incredible collection of star-architecture campus buildings), cranbrook, ball state (greatest school you never hear about), univ illinois urbana-champaign, miami of ohio, all in the eastern part of the midwest. can't forget iit in chicago. kansas has had some interesting things going on, most notably the modular studio804. you might also check out some of the work at washington university st louis. i know that there are others in these discussions that hail from places like minnesota (with its new steven holl facility!), idaho, montana, etc. that might report on northern- and western- midwest activity.

university of kentucky, where i'm teaching, has some very strong studio work at all levels. karen lewis, one of our newest faculty, teaching 2nd year, was part of one of the finalists in the flight 93 comp. the furniture studios win awards every year. we've also got visiting critics michael rotondi and marilys nepomechie adding to the energy in the school. some from the school are working on aspects of the coming biennale.

there's something in the midwestern schools that i find to be missing in coastal schools - the ability to concentrate on unique regional characteristics and build a deisgn culture through them. some southern schools have done this well, too - clemson, auburn, tulane, etc.

if there's a disadvantage for those of us in the middle, it's that we're so far apart from each other that it's difficult to generate any symbiotic energy. that, and it takes more effort for those on the coasts to figure out who and where we are.

Feb 28, 05 9:40 am  · 
 · 
A

I think Steven summed it up quite well. The midwest is quite well represented in the lists of quality schools. I'd even say better than the west coast. You always hear about Cincinnati and Rice right amongst the Ivy Leagues. There is also a swath of very respectable schools right up through the whole midsection of this country - Texas, Oaklahoma, Kansas State, Nebraska, Iowa State, North Dakota State are all very decent programs which often go un-noticed. Hands down if you are looking for the least expensive schools the midwest is the place to look. Don't take that as any sign that the education is anything less though.

Feb 28, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
fakeid

i'm quite surprised you guys missed out michigan.. as far as i'm concerned, michigan is the top choice in the midwest..

Feb 28, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
NOLArch

great post steven!!

my list echoes yours somewhat for "middle schools" that provide great educations/enviroments:

Rice & UT (Texas)
Cinncinati
Wash U (St Louis)
Kansas
Wisconsin
Iowa State
Illinios

Feb 28, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

Steven and NoLArch,

What do you think about University of Minnesota or IIT?

Mar 1, 05 12:22 am  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

A,

you left off the only respectable architecture school in Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University. The NAAB accredidation team just left and in their closing remarks mentioned that OSU will be that teams new basis of a quality school. One team member who attended Princeton commented that you could pay $40,000/year at an east coast school or attend OSU and get an equally qualified education for $8000/year.
of course you buy something else when attending those schools.

Mar 1, 05 1:00 am  · 
 · 
A

My apologies veux - I meant to say OK State. Have worked with grads from that program and have been impressed. Good point.

bzkr - Minnesota has a very decent MArch program. I'd say the faculty is above average and have heard about good changes taking place there. They also got the new Holl building. Not a fan of their undergrad program but I'm a BArch grad and don't quite understand completely the BS degree, or why you'd want that.

Mar 1, 05 8:51 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

you left off the University of Houston...they ranked sixth in the DI southern top 10 for undergrad...and they just started an ID program...and Rice always gives the UH students some good competition to strive against.

Mar 1, 05 8:59 am  · 
 · 
NOLArch

bzkr-
forgot about Minnesota- great program

same goes for U of H- often in Rice's shadow but good school
Other good programs in Texas - UT-Arlington in Dallas is really creating a name for itself lately and Texas A&M has a few really good specialty programs

don't know much about IIT other than its history from way back which is probably not relevant

hope that helps

Mar 1, 05 9:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: