Archinect
anchor

question for snjr any others

SamP

What can you tell me about the Oregon masters option III programs in Arch and IA. Acceptance rate, average GPA, GRE scores? How hard is it to get into either program? What is job market like in Portland in Arch or IA? What is review process like for admission? In IA is it an advantage or disadvantage fo admission to be male?

Anything you can tell me as a possible applicant about either program would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Feb 26, 05 12:45 pm
vado retro

hey sam i don't no where you live, but if you have a decent sized public or university library around check out the peterson's guides on graduate schools. they often have this information about specific programs at different universities. however, not every u has a detailed information page. oregon may though and if they do you will find out mucho. good luck

Feb 26, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
SamP

top. snjr or any other Oregon grad students are you out there?

Feb 26, 05 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
ampm

i don't know if its "hard"to get into the program, since i am not privy to the percentage of acceptance in the applicant pool, tho i do know they have been letting a lot of people in the past couple of years. perhaps more people are taking them up on the offer than in the past. the option III class this year is about 50 to 60 people?

the job market, i must say from experience, is not a "buyers" market, but it has been picking up lately. people are gradually finding work that makes them reasonably happy. portland is more of an urban planners town. in general, the architecture scene is not amazing (meaning very few lectures or other architecturally related events), but the tide is slowly turning.

it seems to be 50/50 between male and female in the program. the ratios are waaay skewed to female in interiors, but i don't think its an institutional decree, as much as it is by personal choice. as far as admission goes, it shouldn't matter.

for better answers, check the webpage out. feel free to visit, either the eugene campus or the portland campus. talk to the administrators and the current students.

let me know if you have any more questions. a few of my friends are in their final year there as option IIIs.

Feb 27, 05 2:13 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

Hi, SamP--Sorry for the miscommunication. I didn't get an M.Arch. from UO, I got an MA in History and an MA in Art/Architectural History. My general impression was that it was a great program if you were interested in sustainable architecture.

Feb 27, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: