Archinect
anchor

important decision

swisscardlite

hey everyone, right now i'm facing a really difficult decision as to what I should major in, since in about a month or two, i will have to decide whether or not to apply to the cornell summer architecture program or not. I realize that if I pursue a major in architecture, I'm probably going to stick with it the rest of my life.
Reading many entries for many years, I have realized that architects don't earn that much, in comparison to wages in other professions with about the equivalent professional degree. From what I've learnt, the path of an architect is a long process and most architects only actually start designing in their latter years. (is this true?)
Nevertheless, my interest has always been in the creative field, and I feel that my interest in utilizing the creative process with many other aspects and visualizing and creating spaces has never diminished, and I can't really imagine myself doing medicine, law, or other careers that don't seem to stand out as much as a rewarding career as to architecture. I have an interest in both abstract and analytical ideas. I cannot stand being in the analytical field without some exposure to the creative field and vice versa. THis is why I think architecture might suit me.
I might underestimate myself since i'm only a junior in high school, but I feel that money is not that of a big importance for me. I feel that as long as i can afford a family, a house, and a moderate lifestyle, I am satisfied.
As for my plans in the future, I hope that one day, I might be able to work in asia because with my skill in being able to speak english and basic chinese, (and familiar with chinese culture) I feel that working in Asia may be more interesting. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
Saying all of this, I feel that I might have understimated many things so please correct me if I am wrong.
And if i don't pursue architecture, what are other careers that appeal to most of you, without the appeal of money and why?

thank you

Feb 25, 05 7:52 pm
abracadabra

look justine,
from what i know from your posts which i always read, you would be sorry if you did not persue architectural education. given your age, you can enroll in an arch program and switch if you don't find it right for you. no matter what creative field you might persue, arch education will always be the base education on design and making and it is an excellent one for that.
as much as they complain, most people here would not trade architecture for anything else. you have all the ingredients of an architect ie; talent (as i remember you already making models good enough to show at taliesin), social skills and self confidance, focused mind to name some. and, smart enough to hope without money and material things.
go to cornell and check it out at least. you will be in direct contact with older students completing their projects and hear what they say and do.
and don't forget to live your age. becareful of setting amazing standarts that some day might cause a let down. enjoy and live the moment and what you got now.
i hope you find this helpful coming from somebody much older than you.

Feb 25, 05 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

"I might underestimate myself since i'm only a junior in high school, but I feel that money is not that of a big importance for me"

Yup, you are underestimating the significance it plays in life, even if you don't want it to. It's the frustration of working hard and not being compensated fairly that drove me to leave the traditional path. It's one thing, if, say, you are a graphic design/web designer/motion graphics artist/3D guy, etc., that makes a decent living without working beyond the 40 hours (I am one of those and work with many others that are content, my arch friends are mostly frustrated).

That being said, I would not change my education (4 yr for arch at UF and 3 for arch at UCLA). It has allowed me a unique chance to learn so much regarding all design fields. I did, however, make a conscious choice long ago to pursue these interests (along with business and a little realestate). The knowledge is there for the taking, you just have to choose to do it (it's really not more effort, just thought - if you want advice regarding the balance, email me, as I would be happy to share what I've learned about the system of college, credits, etc., that I learned slightly too late).

So architecture is my all out passion, but I recognize it will hinder the other things I want out of life, so I've chosen an alternative path. This is happening more and more and if done wisely, could be incorporated into your eduction from the beginning, leaving you with knowledge ( = power) and marketable skills once you enter the real world.

If you love it, go for it, but be as balanced as you can. Take business classes (I'd do a double major if I had it to do again, then for grad school you could do anything, from law to mba to more architecture).
Take things that interest you, there is a loophole that allows you to pursue two majors (or a major and minor - I got my minor in business, but if I had planned better, could have been a double major).

If you got into Cornell's summer program, go for it. I did a summer stint at RISD and it was amazing! One of the most fun experiences and I learned so much (including all nighters). It will show you, most likely, what most of the education will be like (it's brutal school, but it's also incredibly rewarding).
As abra suggests, look around and talk to people while you are there, you will learn a ton. Look at their work, too, ask a few to show you and explain what it is they are trying to do.
It should be a great experience and a lot of fun (I, personally, wouldn't want to be ther ein the witner!).

Most of what you read is true. It's a bitter profession, esp for the more talented and highly educated, as that rarely gets you farther (unlike any other profession).

Once more, as abra mentions, don't forget to have fun! You are young and thinking too much, perhaps. You won't know if it's for you for many years, so just live, learn, and enjoy. Keep a master plan handy and refer to it once and a while, but let things take you where the might. God knows everything in my life since graduating has not be planned (we'll, not really) and I am doing things I never thought I would, and enjoying it.

Good luck.

Feb 25, 05 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

You probably are underestimating the importance of money, but don't underestimate the importance of ambition and passion as well. I have been one of the complainers that feel architects aren't paid enough - I still am. I find it frustrating. I also decided that if I was going to stick with this profession I was going to find a way to do it, and right now I have a deisgn/build company with my husband and another friend. We aren't making money, but it's much more rewarding than being unhappy working for someone else. There are ways to make money as an architect - working for a large firm, in a management or associate position for example. Or as a 3D/illustration expert or an expert witness. It takes longer than in most other professions, and if you want to design there will be stiff competition.
Just because you major in architecture doesn't mean you have to end up working for an architect - you can go into industrial design, landscape design, set design, teaching... Don't worry about locking yourself in now, just pay close attention to how you feel and your work as your education progresses and if you feel you need to change things make a move.
BUT I would also recommend sitting down with your parents or an older friend and doing some financial/budget analysis of what it takes to support yourself, where you want to live, and take alook at the salary poll and really think it through. I wish I had done this when I was younger - it might not have change my decision to go to architecture school, but it would have prepared me better and perhaps I wouldn't be so bummed about it now.

Feb 25, 05 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

go for it, even if you decide it's not for you (at any point down the line) it will have thaught you things no other course will.

we all complain a lot, but i think it would be the same on doctornect.com or lawyersite.org. we're all secretly, madly, deeply in love with what we do.

go go gadget (future) architect.

Feb 25, 05 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

thank you everyone for your insight. i really appreciate it

Feb 26, 05 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

DE-PRESS-ING. Is it not possible for a regular ambitious architect to make money? Shall I make it a serious point right now to include real estate in my education? Why are we paying the tuition of a law student to get a starting salary that's 1/3 of that law grad?

Feb 27, 05 12:48 am  · 
 · 
G-bot

If you are a good designer you will be able to do design right from the start once (or even before) you finish school. Many firms are so busy with projects and project leaders so stressed with too many projects, they are thrilled if a young or student designer can suggest a direction for either a part or even the whole project. Once you come up with a few good ideas, and you are able to express them through good drawings, chances are that the firm will start to give you projects to do. BUT: If you come into a firm and start doing straight drafting work and don't try to stand out chances are that you will end up not designing for a long time in your carreer.

You can make a fine wage designing buildings, and more importantly if you are smart you can learn to make a lot more money in the industry as a whole. So give it a try, and more importantly if you don't go into architecture as a carreer, your experience in arch. school will help you in the end, toughening you up! Good luck

Feb 27, 05 2:33 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

thanks everyone. in terms of aspects of earning wages in the industry mentioned by g-bot, i was thinking about majoring in architecture and perhaps minoring in maybe business or chinese (or is it too heavy?). But anyways, i was hoping maybe someday in the future, I could improve my chinese to the point that I can work for, or start a firm that does projects both in Asia and the United States. But i'll probably need a lot of luck to do that. thanks

Feb 27, 05 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: