Archinect
anchor

Intern woes

pomoinmono

Hi ----

I'm looking for some advice about working in a firm. I currently work part-time at a small, 10-person, NYC arch. firm. I'm a paid intern but I'm actually really low on the totem pole because I'm only minoring in architecture at a school that has a pretty lame program and my minor is not related at all. I have been working here since the beginning of last summer (at which point I worked full time). I have very low requirement for hours because of the rigor of my current major, but they are very understanding and I work about 10-12 hours a week. Someone leaked to me that the principal (who hired me and is really, really considerate) is looking to hire another intern over the summer, someone with more background exp. I was kind of upset when I heard this because I was really looking forward to giving my all this summer and really learning alot and moving up a little. My "source" recommended I send the boss an email pronto, securing the continuation of my job into the summer and somehow getting him to not hire someone else and thereby preventing me from moving up. How should I do this? What approach should I take? I don't even know what they think of me in general because I don't get quarterly updates on my progress like school. But they seem to be at least not aggravated by me and try to give me chances to do more CAD and those types of things. Always invite me to firm dinners and out-with-the bosses nights. Anyway, any advice welcome ......

Feb 25, 05 9:07 am
pomoinmono

woops, meant to say my MAJOR is not related at all .....

Feb 25, 05 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Just shoot off an email saying that you're starting to plan for the coming summer, and would like to verify that the firm is still interested in having you work with them. In it explain that because you won't be in class, you're really looking forward to exploring what the profession and the firm has to offer you. This will let them know that you're ready and willing. Obviously your boss has put some thought into this already if the word is out - but there are many things that could influence this out of how they feel about you; it could be that they're planning on getting some extra projects over the summer that they'll need the help on. Lets face it, hiring a summer intern is a lot cheaper than bringing in someone with more experience. Also, once you know whats going on with the summer, I'd schedule a time to talk to your boss about how he feels about your work, what you bring to the office, etc. Getting some feedback shouldn't be a big deal.

Feb 25, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Can you blame your employer though? You aren't on the track towards architecture licensure - or are you? I understand that your major is something else - unrelated. And your minor is architecture. I am not familiar with this set up - what are you doing with this? Is architecture a side hobby for you or is it really your intended profession? Are you enrolled in IDP? Maybe your employer has given you a "taste" and that's all he/she intended to do. Perhaps they are looking for an "investment intern" to grow with the company - one that will become licensed in a few years. It doesn't sound like you can become licensed. Not trying to be negative, but I have to wonder if this is the case.

Feb 25, 05 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

If you do plan on entering the profession and obtaining a license thru a M Arch - let your employer know this.

Feb 25, 05 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Charles Ellinwood

just go and talk to your boss face to face. don't send an email, especially if your desk is across the hall from their office or some similar proximity. it will look cowardly. at least to me, it would.

express your interest in staying with the firm, ask for their advice on areas that you need to improve and how you can go about doing that.

if you want to improve yourself, get involved. ask smart questions, take the initiative, follow through. once your coworkers develop confidence in giving you work, your stock will skyrocket.

for me, one of the hardest parts about working with someone who has less experience is when they don't retain anything that i've tried to teach them.

these are my words....

Feb 25, 05 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
e

i agree with ceeer. don't email. it's a cop out. i can't stand it when ppl try to discuss important/delicate/difficult issues via email. it's bad form. if you are serious about this, get off your ass, walk in to your bosses office, and tell him you need to talk to him. if you want to keep your job, expand your roll, or need something, etc, be proactive about it.

Feb 25, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Yes - talk in person. If you are intimidated by the boss and have a closer relationship with someone who is higher than you in the hierarchy (preferably prohect manager/architect type) maybe try to enlist their help - tell them you really want to stay and want to learn more during the summer and do they have projects you could help on?
I have found it to be very important to strategize about who you want to work with in an office and try to get on a team with people you get along with and who know your value. The boss may not work with you directly and therefore may not be fully aware of your desires or capabilities.
I was once interning for a large "starchitect" type office and wanted them to take me on full time over the summer. I went directly to the office manager and asked - he said they didn't need me so I left. But afterwards I saw one of the lead designers who knew I was leaving (outside of work) and asked me why I wasn't staying because he thought I was doing good work - I should probably have talked to him about his projects and whether he could use me for something specific - then gotten him to advocate for me as part of a team.

Feb 25, 05 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Definitely sort out how much work you have over the summer with your boss. However, try to get over the whole “moving up” thing. In a ten person firm there isn’t much really that much more “up” to go people just have things they know how to do and do them right?

I was in a situation last summer where I got hired to very specific, parts of a couple very specific projects that related to very specific experience I happen to have. I was in almost total control of these parts of these projects (in the sense that it was my problem if they got fucked up) but I wasn’t doing the design work and I definitely felt very temporary. I ended up knocking heads with this younger intern guy who had worked there a year or so because they had assigned him to “help” me. I though it was a good deal for him in that he got trained in this specific area that I happen to know about so he could do it after I left but he felt like it was beneath him to work “under” someone who had just been hired.

If they do hire someone with a bit more experience that you be cool and humble and you could end up getting “moved up” just by picking up a few tricks from someone who is set to get conveniently out of your way come September.

Feb 26, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
pomoinmono

newstreamlinedmodel -
Your experience was really helpful, thanks. I didn't even think about it that way. I am buddies with one of the PM and he will probably advocate for me, so I think I will go for the conversation on Monday. Thanks to everyone for the good advice .....

Feb 27, 05 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: