Archinect
anchor

Macromedia Flash

ichweiB

Can anyone guide me to some good links for Macromedia Flash tutorials/lessons. I have been teaching myself, and I understand the basics and would now like to get more experience to make an attractive online portfolio.
Thanks

Feb 24, 05 12:18 pm
donutboy
www.kirupa.com
www.flashkit.com/index.shtml

for more actionscript stuff..
www.actionscript.org/tutorials.shtml

Feb 24, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
pgb

donutboy cover pretty much the best ones out there, you should also check out the Flash MX 2004 Bible, and the Flash action scripting 2.0 Bible depending on how much you are looking to learn. You really dont need to know much action scripting jsut to do a simple portfolio site.

PGB

Feb 24, 05 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra
http://ultrashock.com/
Feb 24, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
etimm

I recommend you make a pdf portfolio rather than flash. Unless you're really good at it, most flash portfolios are annoying to look at and people will just skip over them. pdf is easy, universal, and printable.

Mar 29, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
e

flash portfolios do not have to be annoying.

Mar 29, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

google flash tutorials, there are thousands. KEEP IT SIMPLE until youre more experienced! overwhelming basic flash animations are not cool

check macromedia support online

Mar 29, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

I agree. As long as you don't get caught up in demonstrating your abilities in flash, and just use them in service of your portfolio, it does not have to be annoying at all. It becomes annoying when people feel the need to make every little thing do something in flash instead of occasionally leaving it be.

Mar 29, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
e

yep, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Mar 29, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

anyone know a link to the "photo fade into one another" thing i see in a lot of portfolios?

Mar 29, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Here is a nice example of non-flashy, flash site: Wingårdh Arkitektkontor AB

Mar 29, 06 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

actually I find that site moderately annoying for two reasons - 1) I like a better 'overall' view of the nav. instead of opening one category that opens another category where you choose between five options, each of which have several sub-categories, and 2) I hate, hate, hate the way you can see the edges of the next image/text blurb/topic on the edges of the screen. It makes me resize my window to see what I'm missing, but it's infinite. So, so annoying.

But it does get points for not making me sit through any animations.

Mar 29, 06 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Point taken, how about this: Stephane Beel

Mar 29, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

This also has many categories, but they stay put instead of being replaced (which is good from an overview standpoint), so more points for that. Also no annoying hovering off to the sides. So overall, much better.

Mar 29, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
dia

gladulika

Mar 29, 06 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, I'm picky. At least about format-type things.

sorry for sidetracking your thread mjh00c. Back to our regularly scheduled programming!

Mar 29, 06 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

both of those examples would be better served being html.

the moving interface thing is so played out it is not funny. Why do I want to wait and see shit slide back and forth, get me to the content.

That first site listed took me 5 clicks to get to any content, It needs a better heirarchy so that content is no more than 2 clicks away...unless there is a specific reason...navigating 5 layers of sliding text is not a reason.

Mar 29, 06 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I am speaking about the last two links posted just to clarify

Mar 29, 06 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I'm with jason...and have argued about this at length (search "minimal websites" for that)

what passes for good flash is still crap, IMO. The novelty wore off years ago.

Mar 29, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I'm not keen on flash sites either. Felt these were ok. I prefer HTML. I also like links to PDF's for project documentation as a further option. I am a minimalist in regards to such matters.

Mar 29, 06 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

diabase ....

nice links there //

Mar 30, 06 3:02 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

but honestly .. I thought that the "flash era" was over ...

Mar 30, 06 3:03 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

not really.
with the ability to handle ria's flash is one the rise. It also seems that web designers are figuring out that flash's power comes from it's adaptabilty and not it's graphic overload. There are more and more sites that are using the ability to make pages temporary applications rather than static objects on the server. This means less work for the designer and less hard drive space on the server for rapidly updateble info and content.. (see flickr..etc.... most of which is flash)

this becomes important for portfolios because we as a firm do not want to make individual pages or frames for each projects as they come into the object. it's easier to make them part of a database and use flash as our GUI for web-surfers.

Mar 30, 06 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

you can hook html, php, and many other scripting protocols to connect to a database and create your pages for you off of a template...flash is actually way behind the curve on that...but it has caught up quite a bit.

Mar 30, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

indeed, I didn't mean it was anything new, just that it now has tools that make it more viable as a real developer option. It also remains the easiest (at least for me) way to send graphics heavy content to users.

Mar 30, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
richard rogers

does a fairly good job with the flash, though it looks and works more like an html site.

this sorta thing is more than enough. according to the message at the bottom the site is "refreshingly flash free".

Mar 30, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

that Tower Crane Guy is going to have to update the flash content on his website...

http://towercranesupport.com/t...

May 4, 19 12:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: