Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Review: not sure if I’ve included the right projects

CallMeCatbread

Would anyone be willing to review my portfolio? I’m a masters student looking for work for my coop, and feel like I really need a different set of eyes on this  

https://issuu.com/davisnoah/docs/noah_davis_-_portfolio

I’m trying to show a diversity of projects, rather than just school project, after school project, after school project, if that makes sense. So I have my two largest, “best” school projects, then another project (the pavilion thing) that in terms of design is very basic, but illustrates me hobby in urban activism (plus, it is technically something I designed that we then built. Employers would appreciate that, right?) then a competition (that I didn’t win) showing my interest in housing and mixed use design, and then work I did in my last (only) architecture job. Is this a good collection? Or should I omit maybe the third project and instead just include another school project?

I’m using this to apply to both local firms (in the city where the 3rd project was done) and international firms in Europe (hoping my portfolio is good enough for that.)

also any suggestions on design would be appreciated. 

Oct 21, 24 2:56 pm
axonapoplectic

you have really good graphic skills and I think that would get your foot in the door of a lot of offices  

As for looking for a job - some offices are looking for people with a propensity toward technical detailing skills - they’re looking for someone with an eye for and interest in detail and tectonics. Others are looking for someone who thinks holistically - who has an interest in systems and broader ideas. My experience people in this field usually fall into one or the other category. Very rarely do you meet someone who can do both well.

with that said - I’m struggling a little to get a sense of which way you lean. I feel like you’re more detail-orientated since what you present is more refined and there isn’t much evidence of big picture thinking. I think this is ok, but I would definitely lean into your strengths if you feel that that is the direction you want your career to head. If my assumption is correct, if you have some work from a building systems class that might be good to show.

Oct 21, 24 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Your portfolio and graphic skills are quite nice and you would be an asset to most offices. 

However, an honest criticism of your work is that it is maybe a little too "safe" for student work? It would be interesting to see more explorations, whether they be for competition projects or conceptual sketches etc. That may make your portfolio a bit more expansive.

Oct 21, 24 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: