Archinect
anchor

AHJ Stamp on Permit Drawings, and other Miscellany (Architecture in Wonderland Pt. 2)

architrains

Another set of questions from "Wonderland..."

1. Do AHJ's elsewhere in the USA put an official stamp on drawings that are permit-approved? Here in Wonderland, inspectors review the construction work based on those City Permitting-stamped drawings only and request revised drawings be sent back through permit review if they find field conditions that deviate from the drawings, even if the A/E issued the changes.

This obviously isn't how things were done back in the Midwest where I was trained, and I can't imagine a Midwestern AHJ taking on that kind of implied liability.

2. If there ARE other jurisdictions in the USA that do this, what are the justifications/reasons given for going through the process as if the permit reviewers are ultimately liable, even though they legally aren't?

It makes me come to the conclusion that the building industry here in "Wonderland" is completely flooded with bad actors, and it's the only method the City could come up with to keep the citizenry from building up some version of a tropical shantytown. (It must be a recent development, as record drawings from 1995 through the early 2000s don't have this kind of stamp on them.)

I'm asking because this process definitely causes issues with trying to determine how and when to issue drawing changes without completely blowing a tight project schedule, due to the lengthy review timelines. (i.e., one month for permit drawing revisions approval on a two-month-total project isn't exactly a happy situation.)

3. Regarding low-voltage conduit, if it shows up somewhere it isn't drawn, is this something that inspectors in other jurisdictions will make a fuss about and request revised permit drawing review? From some quick googling it appears low-voltage work is a messy patchwork of regulations across the country, so I can understand the issue. I get the impression from our engineers that "Wonderland" seems to have recently gone from a more lax "Midwestern" attitude to a more "Coastal" approach to low-voltage work, down to wanting to review wiring diagrams for existing irrigation control wiring that is being abandoned in place. Civil engineer ended up "fibbing" so we wouldn't have to add a Landscape Architect to the project at the last minute.

4. A request by the AHJ for an axonometric plumbing diagram is overkill for a single-story single-family residence, or am I the crazy one?

Sep 6, 24 11:45 pm
proto

every jurisdiction i've been in stamps the approved permit set & that is the set required on site for any inspections

Sep 7, 24 3:48 pm  · 
2  · 

My area is similar. You must keep a copy of the stamped city submittal set and the CD's on site. The city submittal set has preliminary Civil, Landscape, Arch Site Plan , and exterior elevations of the building.

Sep 9, 24 5:48 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Where I am, the AHJ stamp establishes that the plan review office looked at the page and no deviation (revisions or new sheets not seen by the AHJ) has occurred between what the plan reviewer approved and what being used to build in the field. We also have to furnish a riser diagram for any and all plumbing work, including SFR.

Sep 9, 24 5:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Appleseed

Have certainly seen field inspectors punt (super minor, IMO) deviations back to the Permit Coordinator via Supplementary Information so that such changes can be officially logged (via an EoR/AoR drawing or letter) as part of the official permit set. Never had it cause any delay tho - YMMV.

Sep 9, 24 3:40 pm  · 
1  · 
Appleseed

To add: every jurisdiction I've dealt w/ on the west coast (last ~10 yrs) has put a digital or physical stamp on the approved permit set.

Sep 11, 24 3:01 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

Perhaps I'm dense...so just for clarity: is wonderland City of SD or LA?

Sep 10, 24 11:58 am  · 
 · 
architrains

"Wonderland" is Honolulu.

Thanks all for the input from other major urban jurisdictions. It sounds like the Midwestern region I was in previously was the outlier on this one.

I do wonder now that they (Topeka and others) seem to be in lockstep with other jurisdictions in keeping the ICC codes current, if they are now also putting AHJ stamp on approved permit drawings. I will have to check in with the folks "back on the ranch."

Sep 10, 24 4:20 pm  · 
1  · 

Had a college buddy that is native Hawaiian. He's not an architect however, the stories he's told me about the rules, procedures, ect of everyday life was astounding. His parents are a surgeon and an engineer. They left Hawaii when my buddy was 12 because they were barely able to afford living there.

Sep 10, 24 5:02 pm  · 
1  · 
architrains

The state is hemorrhaging population due to cost of living. It's especially heartbreaking that the Native Hawaiians are the ones first in line to move to Las Vegas (the "9th Island"). I can't say I don't feel a little ripped off by my friend who convinced me to move here, especially since I'm now paying her mortgage and ridiculously high condo association fees via my rent, because her place is the best deal on rent $-per-SF my wife and I can get, while said friend is off globetrotting as a more-highly-paid commissioned-officer-architect for the DoD. Heading back to the mainland right now would mean dumping everything we paid $thousands$ to move here in the first place and only leave with what would fit in a carryon and a checked bag. :(

Sep 12, 24 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
architrains

I never envisioned an architecture degree taking me to a station in life where I would be approaching 40 years old and contemplating eating a diet of nothing but ramen for the first time ever in order to save up enough money for an "abandon ship fund." LOL

Sep 12, 24 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

Sorry to hear this. Sounds tough.

Sep 12, 24 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: