Archinect
anchor

Pricing a Project

Hi,

Is it possible to build a $10 million dollar mixed use project consisting of 4 apartments and a community center in the surrounding area of SF? Like Burlingame? Trying to gauge what that would look like or how I can get an idea of all of this. Any help is appreciated. Thank You!

Sep 11, 23 8:04 pm
Non Sequitur

maybe.  how many layers of cardboard and what colour plastic tarp are you thinking of using?

Sep 11, 23 8:06 pm  · 
6  · 
ivanmillya

Have you tried engaging an architect and/or contractor in the area? They likely have the answers you seek.

Sep 12, 23 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
mission_critical

Check out Thach Nguyen on YouTube. He just release a video covering how much it cost him to build an apartment building in Seattle. Should get you a rough idea of building in an urban west coast city. 

Sep 12, 23 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

No need to check out that video. The OP's budget isn't nearly high enough. Even three minutes of online searching would show this . . . .

Sep 12, 23 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Yes. If the entire building is under 2,000 sf.

No.  If the entire building is over 2,000 sf. 

It depends.  How big is your building and what is your construction budget.  

Hire an architect to do a feasibility study for you that a general contractor can do a rough pricing on.  

Side note:  you're literally asking us to provide you with free services.  

Sep 12, 23 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

4 apartments + a community centre? Come on, you sure you don't want to pony-up your time for free for this wanker?

Sep 12, 23 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

I only volunteer my services for deserving people or organizations. No idea who the OP is but I assume they are an aspiring developer so . . . .

Sep 12, 23 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

No. Cost per square foot/budget = not all that

Sep 12, 23 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

so judgmental guys, clearly the $10M referenced is the design fee

Sep 12, 23 10:59 pm  · 
3  · 

Well dang. I'll send the OP my $1,000 invoice for my post then.

Sep 13, 23 10:32 am  · 
 · 
midlander

i don't understand the program. Does four apartments mean 4 units? that's a walk up townhouse or fourplex which can be built as a residential building (not commercial apartments). why would you attach that to a community center?

and if it means 4 apartment buildings - well, how big is a building? probably need to add a zero to that budget.

Sep 13, 23 12:31 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

$10,000,000 less 30% soft costs = $7,000,000

If you already have the land, then a range of square-foot hard costs yields:
$250/sf = 28,000 sq. ft. total
$350/sf = 20,000 sq. ft. total
etc.

What number should you use for that calculation? Find a local contractor or developer who does the kind of stuff you have in mind and ask them.

If you don't have the land already, then the land cost comes out of the $7m first. Which in the Bay Area probably means you'll have zero left over to actually build anything.

Oct 3, 23 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Of course, this all assumes you are paying cash. If you are financing it, then you also need to add in all the costs of interest carry, etc.

Oct 3, 23 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

You can't build a single family residence for those $/SF numbers in San Francisco.

Oct 3, 23 1:16 pm  · 
1  · 
gwharton

Yes you can. It may not be something that will wind up in architectural magazines, but it's possible.

Oct 3, 23 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

In SF? Really? Most low quality spec built homes around here (Western Colorado) are going for around $200 / SF. Who knew SF was so affordable!

Oct 3, 23 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: