Archinect
anchor

The old argument, ZIP system vs Tyvek? Zone 5

snowybear

I'm currently renovating a mobile home in zone 5 (NH) and I'm ready to address the exterior. I've been doing a lot of digging about using ZIP system vs. Plywood and Tyvek (or better yet Dorken) for my exterior sheathing. I'm still confused. The interior has a vapor barrier but it was not caulked at the top and bottom but the seams were taped. Since the drywall is up I can't change that.

That being said, which system should I use? If I use ZIP system in zone 5 I'm concerned about moisture being trapped inside the walls. I'm at a loss here. Cost is not a concern, doing it right is.

The siding I will be using over this is from Modulog, a log cabin type siding made of cedar.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Aug 10, 23 12:18 am
Kinsbergen

Don't be cheap and hire an architect to advise you. We are not here to offer you professional services for free. 

Aug 10, 23 7:44 am  · 
Wood Guy

This is a good question for https://www.greenbuildingadvis.... There is an active Q+A section there where homeowners often ask questions similar to yours, even when they're not specifically about "green" building.

Aug 10, 23 9:10 am  · 
3  · 
Jay1122

cost is not a concern? Do liquid applied air water barrier over sheathing. Rigid insulation and then siding in air vented rain screen system.

Aug 10, 23 9:23 am  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

renovating a mobile home with no cost concerns?  sell the trailer and build something permanent where you can design all 6 sides properly.

Aug 10, 23 10:03 am  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: