Archinect
anchor

Should i continue in Architecture?

Annala

Hello, I am about to finish a 2 year program in Architectural and Construction Technology resulting in me getting an Associates degree in the program. The issue is I'm not sure if I should continue in this field. Where I am from bachelors degree programs aren't offered, therefore I would have to do it internationally. Doing it overseas i would have to do 5 years more as the universities/colleges don't offer "skipping" a few years.

When I started the program it wasn't because I wanted a career in architecture, it was because I did Technical Drawing and AutoCAD in highschool and saw that they offered this in the description of the course. At the moment I can be a draftsman and I've sort of already started. In doing a bit of research I don't see much difference between a draftsman and an architect. I am worried that continuing in this field will not be beneficial to me. Also i am taking a year gap because I didn't want to make a rushed decision. 

Should i continue in architecture or change my course?

Jul 30, 23 11:38 am
bennyc

If you cant see the difference between a draftsman and an Architect then no, you should not continue in Architecture. 

Jul 30, 23 9:32 pm  · 
2  · 
natematt

Kinda have to agree with bennyc here, drafting and architecture are scientifically different.

That said, if you didn’t get into this to do architecture, keep it simple, just become a drafter, but maybe don’t find that job in architecture. Architecture firms have been moving away from hiring drafters in contemporary practice. So look for something in another field, and maybe figure out your options before you proceed.

For example, my sister works as a drafter for a steel company. Makes good money doing shop drawings, and likes what she does reasonably well…. All on a two year drafting degree. 

Jul 31, 23 1:14 am  · 
2  · 
vado retro

Use what you know to get a position in a firm.  Work for awhile. Find a school that won't bankrupt you. Go from there.

Jul 31, 23 11:26 am  · 
 · 

While drafting may be part of the work of an architect. It is more of the technical documents (plans and specifications, etc.) part of architecture. A good architect should have knowledge and skill in drafting/CADD/BIM but their job and role doesn't end there. 

An architect needs to design architectonically. The architect needs to have knowledge, skill, and talent in designing. That is to take an idea, and develop that idea not just artistically but architectonically. As in, the design needs to be thought through to how it is built so one must understand to some degree how buildings are built, fundamental engineering principles, etc. Architecture is an art and science. You need to think artistically and scientifically. 

Some are a little rude in their response because most people who asks "should I continue in architecture"... their response is no. Namely, if you are going to ask strangers this questions, then no. Why? You should know your answer for yourself. It's your education. Your career. Take the helm of your life for crying out loud. That's their point. 

I'll offer this thought: You should ask yourself if you want to commit yourself to the process of architectural licensure or if there are alternative yet related careers you may be interested in pursuing. You should also look at the various paths and options for licensure where you intend to pursue a career in a licensed profession as well as careers that might not require some kind of occupational license from a licensing body (often a government agency, department, etc.) 

In the U.S., some states may have alternative paths to licensure that does not require a 5 year architecture degree (B.Arch). If you are interested in designing houses and related accessory structures, you won't need a license at all to design houses in most states in the United States. You can call yourself a building designer or house designer just not "architect" or "architectural designer" and similarly spelled ( "phonetically" ) titles. I do recommend you take some art basic design and maybe a few architectural design courses if you can, at the least before engaging in building design/home design. From a practical point of view of the profession, you do to have knowledge and skills in many of the things that are taught in architecture school and gained through experience working for an architect. While you might not have to do all the "studio" courses, many of the subject courses and a studio or two and working for an architect or experienced building designer would be a start to have to start as a building designer/home designer. Licensure as an Architect will typically require a full architecture degree but some states do allow alternative paths that don't require a bachelor's level degree. 

I'm educating you with options to consider and think about. I can not provide more direct options for practicing in your country without knowing which country to research. There are a lot of countries so it is impractical to discuss the various requirements, paths, and potential exemptions for architecture and related professions in all these countries. In your country, you will need to look at whether or not you may design houses and some other buildings without a license as an architect as well as other occupations and what licensing requirements there is, if any. 

What I said about U.S. is obviously U.S. oriented. 

Most people here will speak from U.S., Canada, and U.K. points of view as that is where the majority of users here are or from. There are some from other places in the world. Naming a country is still potentially broad enough to not really give away your identity. If it doesn't bother you, would you be willing to indicate which country you're at? More targeted advice that may be more helpful could be provided by knowing the country. 

Jul 31, 23 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

If your user name is any clue of your locality in the world, you may be in Finland. I can tell you this much, you don't technically need a license to practice architecture. They do not have a licensing program in Finland. You just can't use the degree credential after your name which is more like a degree certification credential ( Finnish Association of Architects (SAFA)). 

Reference Link: ACE-CAE Finland - How to become an Architect link ) and 

( https://www.safa.fi/en/safa-membership/ ) 

SAFA is a voluntary register/membership much like belonging to the AIA or AIBD in the U.S.

However, you may be able to work for an architect with that credential. I'll say that you'll most likely be limited by local jurisdictions to smaller / simpler structures like houses without the credential as they may possibly reject the submission because you don't have the credential. Over time, if you do good work, competently, the local officials may accept submissions from you on incrementally more advanced projects. You may have to prove yourself.

Jul 31, 23 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

If you are in Finland, you may find practicing the profession without a degree credential or comparable professional certification. You will want to limit independent practice to houses and smaller structures for awhile. Getting a job working for an architect is going to be good for career development and learning what you don't know currently. However, nothing in law says you can not refer to yourself as an arkkitehti. Unlike U.S. and a lot of countries, the mere title "arkkitehti" is not regulated like the title Architect in its various language forms. Although the word and title means the same thing.... a designer of buildings. Finland does not regulate the title. U.S. and many other countries have licensing laws that regulates and requires a license for a person to call themselves an architect and regulates what projects and scope of architectural work constitutes the practice of architecture and therefore requiring a license to practices referring to the laws being both a title and practice regulation. Finland chose largely to neither regulate title or practice but regulate by use of building codes.... a variant of the Eurocode, IIRC.

I wouldn't recommend you using the title arkkitehti until you get architectural design classes behind you and practice some and develop the knowledge and skills sufficient for independent practice. You should only offer services as an independent practice until you have the knowledge and skills to do so. Being a draftsman is only a subset of the knowledge and skills that you need.

I'm going to pause here.

Jul 31, 23 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: