Archinect
anchor

Another successful NCARB sting operation!

t a z

A classic name and shame expose of a West Coast testing cabal:

Sanctions Issued for ARE Candidate Misconduct | NCARB - National Council of Architectural Registration Boards

Jul 11, 23 6:55 pm

Good.  

The punishment:

"In addition to each candidate receiving this public reprimand, their exam scores have been invalidated for any division taken that was found to have violated Category 1 and/or Category 4. Each candidate has had their testing authorization suspended for a period ranging from 5 years to 12 years from their last testing event. Each candidate is required to complete ethics education ranging from 6 to 10 hours within the next 12 months. Candidates found to have violated Category 4 are also not eligible for the NCARB Certificate for a period of no less than 5 years beginning after they receive a valid license."

Jul 11, 23 7:10 pm  · 
2  · 
t a z

Wonder if Cali will pile on: The candidates’ misconduct has been reported to the appropriate licensing boards. Additional sanctions may be taken at the discretion of individual jurisdictions.

Jul 11, 23 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston's comment has been hidden
JonathanLivingston

Looks like they are all Chinese nationals. 

The candidates receiving sanctions are:  

• Hao Wu, of Los Angeles, CA was found to have violated Category 1 and Category 4 
  • Yan Chen, of Arcadia, CA was found to have violated Category 1 and Category 4 
  • Yixin Liu, of Pasadena, CA was found to have violated Category 1 and Category 4 
  • Ou Liu, of Sherman Oaks, CA was found to have violated Category 1 and Category 4 
  • Jiani Zhu, of Sherman Oaks, CA was found to have violated Category 1 and Category 4 
  • Meng Di Zhao, of Hong Kong was found to have violated Category 1 

Even when I was in grad school we had foreign students that would cop a new Macbook on a whim or outsource models and renderings, so this doesn't surprise me at all. There is a large culture of buying success that American Universities have willingly accepted for the funds of it.  

Glad to see NCARB do something. 

Jul 11, 23 9:52 pm  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Really? You got proof?

Jul 11, 23 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Don’t think anyone should read to much into the optics one way or another… A group of people got caught cheating, that’s it.

Sounds like someone got cold feet in the group chat…

Jul 12, 23 2:58 am  · 
2  · 
pandahut

Jul 12, 23 12:09 am  · 
 · 
t a z

Everyone will, I'm sure, recall the last study group that got busted was a group of SOM employees in New York.

Jul 12, 23 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Yeah - despite the comments above, I think these kinds of activities largely stem from what start out as common study groups for the exams, among acquaintances who were already known/friendly to each other, which then takes a wrong turn into the activity that NCARB is reporting here.

Jul 12, 23 9:57 am  · 
 · 

A study group is different than copying exam questions and sharing them with others. 

This type of cheating has been done around 2014 ish. A group of people (about 10) wore glasses with cameras to record the exam, then compiled the questions. The idea was that with this number of people they were able to get a good amount of the randomly chosen questions for each exam.  

Jul 12, 23 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Chad - not disagreeing. Rather pointing out that something might start with good intentions (ie study groups) that quickly devolve into worse activities (like this)

Jul 12, 23 10:49 am  · 
1  · 
t a z

The candidate email NCARB sent on the topic makes mention of trying to sell exam info online but the online press notice does not: About the Case
In late 2022, NCARB was alerted to the potential disclosure of ARE questions on an online platform. An in-depth investigation revealed multiple candidates copied and shared exam questions, a violation of Category 4 of the Policy for the ARE: Exam Candidate Conduct. In addition, some candidates were involved in attempting to sell ARE exam questions through an online platform. All of the candidates being sanctioned accessed copied ARE questions prior to taking at least one ARE division, a violation of Category 1 of the Policy for the ARE: Exam Candidate Conduct.

Jul 12, 23 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

While over sharing exam specifics in an online peer group is certainly wrong, attempting to sell exam info would be an entirely different (much worse) level of misconduct.

Jul 12, 23 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Bench - very true. Then again I don't see how the people doing the copying, posting, and selling of test questions didn't understand that what they were doing was illegal.

I could see if a study group had one person that showed up and said 'look I found this forum post with old test questions on it' then people in the group looked at them.  Other than that I don't have much sympathy for anyone involved. 

Jul 12, 23 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what does suspension of testing authorization mean?  They can't retake the test for 12y?

Jul 12, 23 9:25 am  · 
 · 
t a z

Yes.

Jul 12, 23 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

thanks. that's quite the stiff wrist slap.

Jul 12, 23 10:10 am  · 
 · 

I wonder what that will do to their AXP / IDP hours?  I know your hours will expire after a period of time.  

Also once they do pass their exams they can't be a member of NCARB for 5 years or so. In the US that means you're pretty much screwed.

Jul 12, 23 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Only means you can't get reciprocity in other jurisdictions for the 5 years? Your initial license would be valid though?

Jul 12, 23 10:49 am  · 
1  · 

I think so. I'm not sure though.

Jul 12, 23 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I actually know one of these guys, very decent person. Not sure why they would get involved in sharing questions with others. My bet is that they did not know it was not kosher.

Jul 12, 23 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

I doubt that. It's clearly told to test takers many times and many ways NOT to share test questions. Besides, this sounds like they were copying and distributing test questions. The only way to do that is with some type of recording device.

Jul 12, 23 1:53 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

Actually you're right. They know 100% what they were doing was wrong but were willfully trying to cheat the system. F em.

Jul 12, 23 5:30 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Speaking of NCARB, I just got an email earlier this month about increasing the renewing fee. Asking me to renew now before they increase the fee.

Jul 12, 23 1:51 pm  · 
1  · 
haruki

The exams aren't even very difficult. Lame that these jive turkeys thought that they needed to cheat to pass. 

Jul 12, 23 2:51 pm  · 
5  · 
archanonymous

Jive turkey is 10/10 insult well done.

Jul 12, 23 3:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Janosh

Totally. The exams are the easiest and least economically punishing part of the entire process.

Jul 12, 23 9:35 pm  · 
3  · 

I wouldn't say the exams are easy . . . they're not super hard though. I think I had the most trouble with the PPP in the ARE 4.0. Had to take it twice!

Jul 13, 23 10:24 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Actually, fuck NCARB, I think everyone taking the exam should cheat until the profession changes course.

Jul 13, 23 6:08 am  · 
5  · 
proto

emotional truth all up in here!

Jul 13, 23 6:39 am  · 
 · 

How should the profession change then? How will cheating on a series of exam cause that change?

Jul 13, 23 10:18 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The same way they've been cheating the profession, and failing the profession. They have zero accountability.

Jul 13, 23 10:27 am  · 
2  ·  1
reallynotmyname

Yes. Stuff like NCARB's insane fees to operate what is basically a simple database of architects' license information. The bloated NCARB staff headcount, and off-mission sideshows like selling CEU's. Also their de-facto control of the state boards.

Jul 13, 23 12:04 pm  · 
4  · 
pandahut

2014: MICHAEL J ARMSTRONG (CEO) $360,391 

2021: MICHAEL J ARMSTRONG (CEO) $500,326

Jul 13, 23 12:23 pm  · 
5  · 

I dunno, NCARB and my state licensing board went after someone who 'anonymously' tried to slander me by claiming I was lying about my experience as an architect. I do agree that their fees are high and they should be doing more to make the culture and licensing of the profession more inclusive while also promoting the field of architecture in general.

Jul 13, 23 12:24 pm  · 
3  · 
t a z

The engineering professions have a similar central testing and record keeping organization, but fees are only applicable when requesting to transmit records to a board. See https://ncees.org/

Jul 13, 23 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

Jul 14, 23 10:07 am  · 
 · 

It's a bit higher for NCARB

https://www.ncarb.org/fees

Jul 14, 23 11:27 am  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Enjoy these photos of NCARB at work spending that sweet, sweet fee money: https://www.ncarb.org/blog/pho...

Think about the costs of the hotel rooms, the meeting rooms, meals etc.  Plus Vikram's speaking fee and travel.

Newsflash for NCARB: you could do this f*cking conference on Zoom for way less money!

Jul 14, 23 11:56 am  · 
1  · 
t a z

@Chad 

Record =/= Record

NCEES Record = NCARB Certificate

Jul 14, 23 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: