Archinect
anchor

Adjaye- allegations

dominiond

This is horrible.

One other thing to take away from this is that Archinect needs to seriously review its moderation policies regarding commenting on articles.  

Jul 7, 23 10:01 am  · 
2  · 
____

Totally agree. When someone who is completely clueless on a subject their comments should be at least hidden. Especially when they post ad nauseum. I was going to propose a thought experiment to that individual but I didn't want to make it more of a cluster fuck than it already was.

Jul 7, 23 12:29 pm  · 
4  · 
graphemic

Agreed.

Jul 7, 23 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
____

To keep posting the same comment over and over again and have no one respond is an obnoxious abuse of privilege.

Jul 7, 23 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
____

Period.

Jul 7, 23 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
____

Thank you Moderators for removing that comment from that individual.

Jul 7, 23 10:13 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Besides the sexual harassment, it's also disappointing to read about how poorly run his firm is - low pay (no surprises there), terrible cashflow management, zero internal controls ... here is a bloke who is at the height of his fame and a pioneer. Yet his company is run like other artisan studios.

Jul 7, 23 2:05 pm  · 
4  · 
sameolddoctor

I would not call it "artisan", the scale is much larger. More like sweatshop

Jul 7, 23 3:54 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Yeah, it's infuriating he's perpetuating the same old business model. Reminds me of how Aravena talks the big talk as the renegade warrior for justice while Elemental relies on unpaid interns.

Jul 7, 23 5:47 pm  · 
4  · 

it is a lot easier to talk than walk. many superstar architects i know have skeletons in their closets. the relations between the teachers and students or employer and worker weren't too secret and, i hate to say this, they were accepted/ tolerated. Just like free labor, unpaid student internships, and the rest.

Jul 15, 23 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

there is a lot more public scrutiny and rules of conduct now but i'd wager these practices are still around under thick curtains and favorably documented for future accusations with the guidance of personal lawyers and trusted "spiritual advisers".
risking your life's good work to ordinary cheating and power-mongering orgasmic relationships in dark corridors is a sex addiction disease. being sick like that and asking for help as he did might gain him some public sympathy.
in any case, for someone on top of their game like adjaye didn't seek help earlier is really a result of widespread false entitlement of male culture. this is really careless abuse of power. he got fame wrong that he could do what he did to these women and cause this scale of harm something maybe he thought he could get away with. same thing with meier and probably many others who repressed and sexually abused their employees. the rules need to be very clear and spelled out with related laws. if they are there already, they need to be enforced.
this case is really sad because he tainted the dreams of many underserved young architects looking up to him.

Jul 15, 23 10:42 pm  · 
2  · 
haruki

dank.lloyd.wright posted on instagram about another well known apparently also often horny male architect. Do these famous/highly successful guys just come with more testosterone in their blood than we normal guys have? 

Jul 15, 23 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

“All power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely” a “not

Jul 15, 23 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

*a “not

Jul 15, 23 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

a “normal” person given power will be far more likely to abuse that power. The average person is capable of pretty terrible behavior if given power over others. There are plenty of psychological experiments and historical examples that demonstrate this.

Jul 15, 23 11:39 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Yes Haruki, Bjake Ingels is also a dirtbag

Jul 16, 23 12:31 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That kind of wealth (or sometimes, fame) can reveal the true character of some people, in my experience. The entitlement comes from the fact that they typically get away with everything else in their lives. My humble opinion.

Jul 16, 23 1:46 am  · 
 · 
luvu

Big news…

Jul 16, 23 4:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: