Archinect
anchor

Do you guys have any resume tips for someone applying for their first architecture job out of University?

I got my master of architecture degree last year, but I never worked an architecture job in my life. I've worked the past five years at a research lab which works with heritage BIM, but I personally never worked on a team that heavily focused on it. I've basically been working as a graphic designer, animator, researcher, and more recently a web developer. The only architecture related work I've ever done was working on Revit for a few months to create room datasheets. I am proficient in architecture related softwares like Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino, TwinMotion, etc and I'm fairly good at learning new skills. My problem is I don't have the professional background to back these up asides from my portfolio. 

That being said, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to put together a resume for someone looking for an intern architect job given the following experience. 

Thank you very much in advance. I'm in quite a tough position so I really really appreciate any help I can get.

Jul 2, 23 7:36 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 3 Comments

newbie.Phronesis

Hi alexisalmacin, my 2 cents: focus on your portfolio and cover letter/email instead. Fresh grads aren't expected to have much experience, but the variety of work+interesting projects it sounds like you've done should be great for standing out. They can also be added to resume under experience - transferable skills from any non-architecture work counts!

You can try contacting your school or student association for specific resume help/feedback. There are also several articles floating around the forum on resumes, like here:  Resume tip: Tailor to the job | News | Archinect  ; personally find a simple+clean style is usually better, just match graphically and font-wise to your portfolio, but it's really up to your individual style. Cheers and good luck!

Jul 2, 23 9:03 pm  · 
2  · 
alexisalmacin

Hey thank you so much for the advice! I'm glad to know that my current skills are still applicable and can still be added to my resume. I forgot to add this in the initial post, but for anyone else seeing this, I have a website for my portfolio and resume here: https://www.alexisalmacin.com/. Thank you again, I'll make sure to check out the link you shared as well!

Jul 2, 23 9:49 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Alex, I read your description and immediately thought to myself, this sounds like a CIMS grad from right in my backyard.  

Turns out my Spidey senses are still as sharp as ever but to your question, employers know most new grads need hand holding as they ease themselves into the professional world so don't stress too much.  What they do look for in new applicants is creative problem solving and the ability to develop ideas on their own.  Knowledge of construction detail is also a key factor but this can be learned and most employers know who can pick this stuff up while on the job.  

Just don't focus too much on the rendering skills because anyone coming out of school can press the lumion and vray buttons and you don't want to lock yourself into that role.

Jul 3, 23 2:00 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: