Archinect
anchor

What are the roles in an Urban Design firm?

josephlee

Hi all. What are the roles and responsibilities of designers in studios that provide Urban Design services, e.g., WXY, WSP, Sasaki? I’m reading through WSP’s study of Jacksonville, and in my mind it’s as follows, but would greatly appreciate a perspective closer to the field:

+ those with experience / education in architecture: visualization, building type design. More graphical in nature? Isolated to just structural design? 

+ those with experience / education in planning / development: statistical analysis, area / local studies, master plan development and guidelines (I.e., zoning), community engagement. More numbers heavy? Broader scope, e.g., streetscapes? Less visualization / graphical design? 

Is it so clear cut, or do planner and architect responsibilities overlap to a greater degree? Also, do you see those with experience in real estate development at UD firms? 

Thanks in advance. Greatly appreciate any insight

Jun 27, 23 8:41 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: