Archinect
anchor

Career options with my bachelors degree

Hello Archinect. I thought I would post here to get feedback from the community. I graduated Texas Tech University back in late 2015, and have been at complete loss on how best to use my current bachelor's degree in Architecture. I've held a lot of smaller jobs in the meantime, like working elections, being a teaching assistant at one point, and just recently, I've been working as a call representative... I fell into this out of the blue, and it is nowhere near what I am skilled in and it's a bit of a bore and I know I can do much better. I have tried numerous time to email and apply to internships and talk to firms throughout the years, but nobody was interested in taking me on and hiring me. As I've just turned 30 and am still very much lacking architecture experience (to see if I would actually like to pursue the career), I'm really wanting a change in career and my options going forward with the education and skills I posess. I've gotten at least a few interviews within the last two months, but they all lead to rejection. If architecture is not for me, then I'm really not sure what is. I disappointed teachers during my schooling, I failed to get into graduate school last year, as I felt confident in pursuing Space Architecture in Houston, Texas... but again, failed to get into the program. While ambitious (as I feel like a potential space-oriented architecture career would be very cool and fulfilling and in line with something I may want to do), I've contemplated graphic design as well as both interior and industrial design... but there is nobody to take me on with my credentials and I'm at a complete loss on how to move forward with my architecture degree. I can design and draw and I'm confident in my quality of craft... it's just finding someone to give me a chance.

What all did you do with your bachelor's degree in architecture and do you have any advice on the matter? Thank you in advance.

Mar 28, 23 9:05 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

Post your portfolio.

Mar 28, 23 9:20 pm  · 
1  · 
msparchitect

Don't worry about that UH space department. It is not a serious program.

What do you WANT to do? Be aggressive with firms. Can you volunteer at architecture/development-related events in your area? 

Mar 28, 23 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Why didn't you try to get an architecture job right after graduating, like most folks do?  You have now pissed away eight years doing completely unrelated things.  2015 would have been the time to get in, when the market was strong.  We are now probably heading into a real estate recession and credit crunch because of the weakness of regional banks which do most of the lending to developers.  Frankly, you sound like a bit of a lost soul, and it probably comes through when you are interviewing.  You might want to get some serious career counseling.

Mar 29, 23 11:28 am  · 
 · 

geezer - you understand that a bachelor's degree in architecture isn't an accredited degree and is nearly worthless. It's the same as an environmental design degree. Most firms won't hire someone like that - even for production work.  

Mar 29, 23 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Correction, BArch is accredited, first professional degree, a BS Architecture is not.

Mar 29, 23 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

All I have is a BArch - it's worked great for me.

Mar 29, 23 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Same.

Mar 29, 23 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Chad, you just contradicted yourself.

Mar 29, 23 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

geezertect - respectfully I did not. A Bachelors of Architecture is an accredited degree. A bachelors degree in architecture, aka Bachelor's of Science Architecture is not an accredited degree. It's a bit confusing I know.

Mar 30, 23 10:31 am  · 
 · 
____'s comment has been hidden
____

Frankly, you sound like an insufferable prick.

Mar 30, 23 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Uh, its been 8 years since graduation. Way too big of a gap to return to the field. Likely behind on most softwares. No previous field related experience. You probably can find some firms to take you in and start as an intern. The job will be boring and the pay will be very low. Likely not local so you will have to relocate. I just don't see it being worth.

Mar 29, 23 1:34 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Based on what they listed, a full time entry level position would probably still be an improvement on pay and lifestyle. I know people knock the profession and pay a lot, but that's really only fair within the context of the amount of education required, it's still a lot better than most jobs that don't require specific credentials.

Mar 29, 23 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If the OP wasn't enthusiastic enough to pursue either architectural employment or graduate degree (if needed) at the time, it doesn't sound like it makes any sense to take some shit intern job at this juncture.  There is nothing wrong with realizing that you were never really in love with a career choice made at a very young age.  Career testing or counseling might help uncover something better.

Mar 29, 23 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
____

Imo you are giving up too early. Keep applying.

You need a marketable skill. Learn Revit.

Don't give up.

See who is doing residential additions that needs drafting help.

Don't give up.

Post your portfolio and ask for comments.

Don't give up.

Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity.

Don't give up. 

Enter competitons.

Don't give up.

Follow every lead.

Don't give up.

My 2¢

Mar 29, 23 9:11 pm  · 
1  · 
____

Try applying to some woman owned firms.

Mar 29, 23 9:42 pm  · 
1  · 
geezertect

Isn't a woman owned firm going to expect some evidence of dedication, the same as any other kind of firm?  The fact that the OP hasn't come back and explained the eight year gap more fully confirms a real passivity and  lack of engagement or "belly fire".  Why would an employer want to hire her?

Mar 30, 23 8:58 am  · 
 · 

True, however with the tone of this thread why would the OP come back at all?

Mar 30, 23 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
____

"evidence of dedication"? Sounds like evidence of a willingness to be exploited to me.

Mar 30, 23 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Chad: The OP came here asking for advice. If she really just wanted soft words of praise she should have made that clear.

Mar 30, 23 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
____

In the off chance you are reading this:

If I was in a position to offer you a job I would.

Imho if you would edit out the 2 dimensional drawings in your portfolio, I don't see why you wouldn't be accepted to graduate school. Keep the cover though.

I actually thought 2 of those drawing were photographs.

Mar 30, 23 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: