Archinect
anchor

Becoming a licensed architect without a Master Degree?

Messy

Greetings everyone! 

I graduated with a 4-year Bachelor of Arts non-professional architecture program 2 years ago (not in UK or US, I am also not a US or UK citizen). Very fortunately or unfortunately, I entered an international firm as a trainee and later got hired as a junior architectural designer (a role that typically requires me to be a master graduate). After submitting my fall 2023 master in architecture applications, I began to think about one thing: is it possible to become a licensed architect with just a 4-year non-professional architecture program?

My motivations for having such thoughts are very simple: firstly, tuition fee is unimaginably expensive especially in the US. While the obvious solution would be to do an architectural master asap somewhere else with better tuition, I also feel hesitant spending another 2 years studying in an industry with a lot of uncertainties instead of "working". I find myself enjoying working a lot more than being at school (which with no offense I find quite problematic and to some extent meaningless). 

For my home country and where I am working in now, becoming an architect without a master degree would be unlikely. I notice that in some states of US (let's say NY) it is possible to become an architect with a non-professional degree. If I am not wrong you just have to work 5 years and pass the exam, comparing with 3 years if you have a professional degree. Is that valid? While I might be stretching too far, is it possible for an international applicant to work outside of US for 5 years and pass such exam and become an architect, or is it only for US graduates (for example)?

Thank you very much. Just some random thoughts...

Dec 11, 22 11:26 am

It's going to depend on the state.  This website will help for the US. 

https://www.ncarb.org/get-lice...

Some states allow you to do your internship without a degree.  Keep in mind that the internship will be longer (around 10 -15 years), will vary per state, and is only good for that state.  If you want to practice in another state that allows it you'll need to redo your internship for that state.  

Good luck.  

Dec 12, 22 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: