Archinect
anchor

Asking for portfolios from current company

Zen 10

Accordingly to AIA Ethic 

Rule 5.303 

A Member shall not unreasonably withhold permission from a departing employee or partner to take copies of designs, drawings, data, reports, notes, or other materials relating to work performed by the employee or partner that are not confidential.

Commentary: A Member may impose reasonable conditions, such as the payment of copying costs, on the right of departing persons to take copies of their work.

Need some advice here folks

1. When you ask for portfolios of the work that you made to the firm? Do you have to be departing employee from the company and looking for a job while you are unemployed?

2. What happened if you ask for portfolios and they give it to you and let you go?

3. Does professional portfolios really help to get a job?

4. Are you eligible to unemployment if they let you go asking for portfolios?

thank you,

Nov 24, 22 1:50 am
archanonymous

rule #1. Don't ask, just take.

Nov 24, 22 6:23 am  · 
5  · 

rule #1. ask or you can find yourself on the other end of a lawsuit. 

what a firm produces is intellectual property. if you want to be on the side of 'we're not valued enough', then you better be on the side of protecting a company's intellectual property. 

what most professional firms will do is ask you, as you depart, to sign an agreement outlining what materials you are taking, what their usage can be, your role, etc. and, again, most professional firms aren't going to deny you being able to fairly represent what you've contributed, even if a departure is on less than ideal terms. 

but no one wants to look up and see some over eager intern who did three renderings claim they are the PA on a $30M project. 

Nov 24, 22 12:07 pm  · 
archanonymous

This is complete bullshit. No firm is going to go after someone because they put work in their private PDF portfolio. Maybe if you put it online, sure, but that's not what OP is asking about, is it?

Nov 26, 22 4:51 am  · 
 · 

i agree - what's in a personal portfolio is different (and i didn't see them make a distinction). but we have had instances where someone put up information on their online portfolio that was confidential. and, yes, this was their personal portfolio. and yes, they didn't understand the nature of it but if they'd asked ahead of time, no one would be there. we had to ask to have it taken down immediately. if you're printing it or making a PDF... sure. but even then, i don't see any reason not to ask.

Nov 26, 22 11:33 am  · 
 · 
natematt

If you're still working somewhere that's a pretty darn good reason to not ask.

Nov 27, 22 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Zen 10

do they have to let you go while looking for job?

Nov 24, 22 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don’t think you understand job hunting process. You’re not supposed to announce it to your current employer, for fucks sake. Assemble a half-decent folio with examples of work you’ve made meaningful contributions in and call it a day. Just make sure you clearly name the firm responsible for project as well as the extent of your responsibilities.

Nov 24, 22 4:19 pm  · 
2  · 
Zen 10

I saw other people they have professional portfolios. I never requested once, but I have 8 years experience in the field and don’t want to show work from school. 1st time request got let you. 

Nov 24, 22 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

Never asked once... Also never heard any stories where firms "go after" ex-employees for including the firm's work in portfolio. Do firms have that much free time anyways? And even if the firm win in the lawsuit, what does that really get them? 

Nov 25, 22 7:05 pm  · 
1  · 

see my reply above - if you're disclosing confidential information in your online portfolio, that absolutely is a problem. and no, we don't have that much free time.

Nov 26, 22 11:34 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

If you ain't stealing, you ain't trying.

Nov 26, 22 8:29 am  · 
2  · 
przemula

Based on my experience working for small firms (5-15 people):

1. Just ask your boss, you don't have to be departing employee, you're just refreshing your portfolio - if they ask why do you need it.

2. I don't think that would ever happened; if so, consult it with an attorney because it may be illegal and you may want to file a claim against them, in case if that happened. 

3. I think it helps a lot, though you may get some interviews without any.

4. Most likely yes, but that depends on the state laws as well. 

If you're planning to make a portfolio in a PDF, you may even steal the stuff you need, as your employer won't find out. If you want to put on the website that will be accessible by anyone, I'd advise to ask your employer. IMO very narrow chance of you being fired for asking for it. I myself had a boss with short fuse and she often acted unprofessional, but when I asked for permission to use some of the renderings and drawings (without AOR stamp of course), she said it's fine, so I guess you'll be fine too. 

Nov 26, 22 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: