Archinect
anchor

Buildings with complementary materials?

azt13h

Hello archinect,

I was wondering if there are examples of buildings with seperate, interconnected volumes that utilise unique materials for each volume?

Oct 21, 22 2:55 am
Non Sequitur

could you rephrase using more vague and unhelpful terms? Side note, when’s your homework due? 

Oct 21, 22 7:47 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Are there examples of buildings without separate, interconnected spaces? Are there buildings that don't use unique materials in each volume? I'd propose that nearly every building in existence could be examples for your homework. 

Oct 21, 22 9:54 am  · 
 · 

Here's the first building that came to mind when reading the OP.

Good luck with your homework.

Oct 21, 22 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

For me it's: 

Oct 21, 22 3:19 pm  · 
2  ·  1
Almosthip

Love the ROM

Oct 21, 22 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Seriously though, just saw this on here today.

https://archinect.com/firms/pr...

Oct 22, 22 1:46 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

natematt, clearly you've never actually been inside that monstrosity. It's awful. But you do you.

Oct 23, 22 11:04 am  · 
Non Sequitur

The rom looked good while under construction. Finished product leaves me very disappointed. Interior is dis functional with little of the drama the exterior volumes suggest.

Oct 23, 22 3:38 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Danny Liebeskind is an Exterior Designer. In a Danny building the program and users inside are always sacrificed as collateral damage in the service of the exterior.

Oct 23, 22 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

I'm just sorry Danny hasn't used his worldwide fame and influence to bring the practice of Exterior Design to the forefront of the building industry and cultural discourse.

Oct 23, 22 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

There are no walls at 90 degrees to the floor in the addition. I visited a few months ago (and have been to the ROM many times, I lived within walking distance for about 5 years) and it's offensive. I took a few photos because I couldn't believe my eyes, how bad the interior details are.

Oct 23, 22 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@bowling_ball
Did I say it was a good design? Was that the question? 

Oct 24, 22 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

IDK...but the last time I was at the ROM I was 12 and 12 year old me LOVED it. They had King Tuts exhibit going on and I was in awe. Not to age myself, but that was before the expansion.

Oct 24, 22 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

this: each room like a little building

Oct 22, 22 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

I’ve never had a material compliment me. Bastards. 

Oct 22, 22 10:06 pm  · 
1  · 

Could be worse. Materials just insult me. I wish they'd just leave me alone.

Oct 24, 22 10:25 am  · 
1  · 
DickCheney

No one threw this in the mix yet, makes me salivate.

Oct 24, 22 10:44 am  · 

::Rotates head for clearer view:: What building is that?

Oct 24, 22 10:53 am  · 
 · 
DickCheney

Barnes Foundation by TWBT. Surely you have heard of this building CM!

Oct 24, 22 11:14 am  · 

Nope. Never heard of building or the firm.

Oct 24, 22 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
DickCheney

Now I know you are fucking with me Chad.

Oct 24, 22 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Nope. Not at all. I'm being completely serious. I rarely follow the architectural world or firms. It's one of the reasons I joined this site.

Oct 24, 22 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Look at you all with you exposure to architectural projects.  I'm just sitting here like:  'well time to google' 

Oct 24, 22 10:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: