Archinect
anchor

Registering for my license

Victormiz

Hi,

I just passed all my NCARB tests and completed the necessary experience hours in order to proceed with getting my license. The problem is, the company I have been working for for the last 5 years is not a licensed architect but we are partnered directly with a licensed architect who signs off on my plans but my paycheck came from the company that was not licensed. Did anyone have an issue in which NCARB did not accept their experience hours because of this and if so, how can I prove that I worked the necessary hours directly with the licensed architect? Looking forward to the feedback!

Oct 6, 22 1:25 pm
SneakyPete

Were you under the direct and daily supervision of a licensed architect? Sounds like they were a partner, but if they were not directing you it might be a tough sell.

Oct 6, 22 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

So if I understand correctly, you have never submitted hours to be approved on NCARB yet?

If that is the case, can you ask the said licensed Architect to be your AXP supervisor (who approves your hours) on NCARB website? However, then it will say on the NCARB record that you worked for the firm that licensed architect's firm, which is a problem. 

You should probably talk to an NCARB rep.

The underlying point of AXP is to have you mentored by a licensed architect for some thousands of hours... so I agree with above that it is a tough sell.

Oct 6, 22 1:41 pm  · 
1  · 

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!  

I'd talk to NCARB.  I'm surprised you were able to take all of your exams without completing your IDP.  Is this something  that 5.0 has revised?

Oct 6, 22 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
square.

yes- you can immediately start taking exams after graduation now

Oct 7, 22 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Victormiz

Sorry for the confusion, NCARB actually did accept my experience but NY state did not, I actually did complete my IDP.  What leverage do I have with NY state to prove that I was mentored and worked directly with/for a licensed architect even though I got paid directly from a company that is not licensed?

Oct 6, 22 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

A letter from the architect that mentored you. Also if NCARB accepted everything then that should be a good reason for NYC to accept it as well.

Oct 6, 22 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Chad - that might not necessarily be the case. Having gone through this recently, NCARB was quite quick to work with and didnt seem to look over things too closely. To the contrary, NY state, which actually gives the license, was much more thorough and in-depth of checking that you met every requirement.

Oct 6, 22 9:35 pm  · 
3  · 
Victormiz

Do you know if a proof of employment letter from the architect is sufficient to get approved or would I be required to show actual pay stubs?

Oct 6, 22 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

... if you're trying to thread a needle that closely it might indicate a red flag on a misalignment of your expectations and the definition of "being under the direct supervision of the architect." The employment situation you describe above is pretty confusing. Regardless of how it was set up, NYS likely only cares if you were working directly under the architect signing off your hours. They will probably have a set definition for this; you should probably get on the phone with them to find out directly.

Oct 7, 22 12:26 pm  · 
1  · 
The_Crow

Going through almost the exact same thing with NY state right now. Too funny.

Oct 6, 22 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Victormiz

What do you plan on doing to get approved?

Oct 6, 22 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
The_Crow

It's a little different, for me.... our registration lapsed so I'm just going through the process of correcting that. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Oct 7, 22 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: