Archinect
anchor

Gensler...

ArchKid

Has anyone worked at Gensler before? 

Is the process of getting a job offer 4+ weeks long? From reading Glassdoor, people are saying it takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months.

I have verbally agreed to a start date and salary, but still havent gotten an official offer. And its been 3+ weeks so far. ZzzZzzzzz

Jun 28, 22 3:26 pm
Non Sequitur

What did they say when you called their office?

Jun 28, 22 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

They been ignoring my emails and calls past 2 weeks. Last time I talked to them, they said to sit tight and wait for the offer.

Jun 28, 22 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

I applied 15+ years ago and it took a good 4 weeks or so to get from interview to a job offer.  You will also probably want or need to negotiate their initial offer to you, which can also add weeks.  Right now, I suspect summer vacations and staff shortages could be slowing their processes down.

Jun 28, 22 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

I gave them a salary range 6 weeks ago. With inflation and cost of living skyrocketing, my salary should already increase lol

Jun 28, 22 5:16 pm  · 
1  · 

They can be pretty slow in the hiring process - lots of the larger firms are. That said, not hearing from them when asking for updates isn’t cool. Do you know someone there that can check on your behalf?

Jun 28, 22 4:50 pm  · 
1  · 
The_Crow

Get that cheddar 

Jun 28, 22 5:25 pm  · 
1  · 
robhaw

In my case, it took 1.5 month after the interview to get an offer. I would advise on chasing the recruiter or the person you interviewed with. 

Jun 28, 22 7:26 pm  · 
1  · 
ArchKid

My second and final interview was end of May. A week after my interview, HR called me and said that they would like to proceed with making an offer. Sit tight until they send an offer. This week will be 3 weeks. I’ll give them 2 more weeks before just moving on. It’s going to be extremely disappointing if they just ghost me like this. I could have chased other jobs.

Jun 29, 22 12:07 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Chase the recruiter/HR person down politely but firmly. Let them know you are considering other offers which also have deadlines. Gensler is probably waiting to hear back from candidates whom they prefer over you. And also staffing needs change - a studio that was scheduled to hire your position might have found someone else.

Jun 28, 22 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

HR always called me back within 24 hour period during the interview phase. Now they’re not responding to me. I usually just call them once a week. No point of bothering someone if they don’t want to be distribute. It is what it is. Just rude to not keep me in the loop

Jun 29, 22 12:11 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Very unfortunate and quite unprofessional of them. Never wait on a single job offer - always keep a few backup options at your end, just like they too have backup candidates they only reach out to when their first choice rejects them. All the best!

Jun 29, 22 8:53 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Architecture firms are notorious for ghosting candidates. If they got back to you within 24 hours and are ghosting you now, they probably interviewed someone else just after you and are waiting for them to accept/reject the offer...I'd write to them and ask whats up

Jun 29, 22 11:02 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Large firms miss out on a lot of good people because of how slow their hiring practices are. However, often they will work up hiring while they are waiting for things like large projects to start, so often they don't even have a need yet when they talk to people. Just one way to do business. 

Jun 29, 22 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Ai Ai Ai Chico

Archkid, keep on looking.  Frankly, you're not missing much anyways.  What they're doing is a company wide strategy to so they can keep you intrigued and in their radar.  References kind of help.  There are more options out there, as long as they are M-F 9-5.  Extra time should be TimeX3, at least.  Good luck!

Jul 8, 22 10:21 am  · 
 · 
midlander

most likely they were looking to staff up for a new project, and something has stopped that from kicking off as planned. even big firms don't usually have the overhead to hire a new team on potential and hope the work comes in later.

don't wait on them, if they do call back after you've started another job just keep talking and agree to consider again in the future when you're ready to change.

Jul 8, 22 8:32 pm  · 
1  · 
soartdeco

I started a few months ago and that was not my experience. I actually felt like it was kind of rushed. I had a single call and they were prepared to review the offer, but that might have partly been because of the job market a few months ago. They might have assumed I was negotiating with other offices at the same time.

Jul 16, 22 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Now that you are in there, start cultivating relationships with as many principals as possible.

Jul 16, 22 1:45 pm  · 
1  · 
Stasis

well, large companies even including mine, takes different time in extending an offer to an candidate. It could be candidates' qualifications, but I think it has more to do with the staffing timing for the projects. Being in business development side, it is hard to pin point the start date of the project sometimes for different factors.

Jul 16, 22 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

Getting an offer fast can mean both bad and good. Sometimes companies are desperate to hire someone to salvage their projects, so they may throw a new person into the deep end of the pool. It also may be a good fortuitous coincidence that everything just lined up - client's timing, internal staffing, contracts, etc. If this is a case, just continue building allies within the company.

Jul 16, 22 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
intarch001

Did you get the offer? 

Sep 21, 23 8:03 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: