Archinect
anchor

access door requirement for maintenance only

fenwayrabbit

I have a situation that having a stair up to the roof, the stair room has two doors, one door (#1)  is connected to the accessible (for people) part of the roof, the other door(#2) is connected the maintenance only part of the roof. The two parts of the roof is not connected. Because the roof has a slope, the door connected to the accessible part has enough height required by the code, the door connected to the maintenance only part can only have a height of 4'6" or so. My question is for this 4'6" height door, can this meet the mechanical code for maintenance access? I searched the internet, but only get dimensional requirement for roof hatch. Thank you! (I attached photos below)

Apr 6, 22 1:05 pm

Ask your mechanical consultant or look it up in the mechanical code.

Apr 6, 22 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What did you do? Grab every type of revit window in the manufacturer's site and slap them onto your model?

Apr 6, 22 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
fenwayrabbit

still in the early design phase, throw windows in just for place holder.

Apr 6, 22 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

then why worry about code issues if you're still in early design? Just put a ladder on the outside.

Apr 6, 22 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
proto

depends

residential code? commercial code? type of equip? logistical access sizing for maintenance/repair? rating/egress hdwr?

Apr 6, 22 2:09 pm  · 
2  · 
fenwayrabbit

single family house, mainly for maintenance of PV on the roof. For now, I only want to know the minimum requirement to get the design moving forward. thank you for your reply.

Apr 6, 22 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
proto

google "attic access"

then backcheck it with your local code & jurisdiction

and, if your architect is not available, talk to your gc about equipment needs in that space -- maybe your door works or not

Apr 6, 22 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
fenwayrabbit

single family house, mainly for maintenance of PV on the roof. For now, I only want to know the minimum requirement to get the design moving forward. thank you for your reply. 

Apr 6, 22 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Look it up in the mechanical code. It's all in there. I'd be happy to help you if you'll pay me. I'm $100 an hour with a one hour minimum billing.

Apr 6, 22 3:38 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

AFAIK, it it's an SFR there are essentially no requirements that would apply - make it whatever size you want. Do double-check the IRC though - even I am wrong about once every 20 years or so...

Apr 6, 22 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

I think you're incorrect. Even in the IRC the mechanical code has rather strict size requirements for access. Also - the house looks large - the AHJ could require it to be under the IBC.  

Apr 7, 22 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: