Archinect
anchor

access door requirement for maintenance only

fenwayrabbit

I have a situation that having a stair up to the roof, the stair room has two doors, one door (#1)  is connected to the accessible (for people) part of the roof, the other door(#2) is connected the maintenance only part of the roof. The two parts of the roof is not connected. Because the roof has a slope, the door connected to the accessible part has enough height required by the code, the door connected to the maintenance only part can only have a height of 4'6" or so. My question is for this 4'6" height door, can this meet the mechanical code for maintenance access? I searched the internet, but only get dimensional requirement for roof hatch. Thank you! (I attached photos below)

Apr 6, 22 1:05 pm

Ask your mechanical consultant or look it up in the mechanical code.

Apr 6, 22 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What did you do? Grab every type of revit window in the manufacturer's site and slap them onto your model?

Apr 6, 22 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
fenwayrabbit

still in the early design phase, throw windows in just for place holder.

Apr 6, 22 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

then why worry about code issues if you're still in early design? Just put a ladder on the outside.

Apr 6, 22 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
proto

depends

residential code? commercial code? type of equip? logistical access sizing for maintenance/repair? rating/egress hdwr?

Apr 6, 22 2:09 pm  · 
2  · 
fenwayrabbit

single family house, mainly for maintenance of PV on the roof. For now, I only want to know the minimum requirement to get the design moving forward. thank you for your reply.

Apr 6, 22 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
proto

google "attic access"

then backcheck it with your local code & jurisdiction

and, if your architect is not available, talk to your gc about equipment needs in that space -- maybe your door works or not

Apr 6, 22 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
fenwayrabbit

single family house, mainly for maintenance of PV on the roof. For now, I only want to know the minimum requirement to get the design moving forward. thank you for your reply. 

Apr 6, 22 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Look it up in the mechanical code. It's all in there. I'd be happy to help you if you'll pay me. I'm $100 an hour with a one hour minimum billing.

Apr 6, 22 3:38 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

AFAIK, it it's an SFR there are essentially no requirements that would apply - make it whatever size you want. Do double-check the IRC though - even I am wrong about once every 20 years or so...

Apr 6, 22 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

I think you're incorrect. Even in the IRC the mechanical code has rather strict size requirements for access. Also - the house looks large - the AHJ could require it to be under the IBC.  

Apr 7, 22 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: