Archinect
anchor

Residential structural inspections

kjpn

Residential architects, do you encounter many structural engineers who require structural inspections/observations in their contract documents for simple residential work?

I am doing a small room addition (200>, light framing, s.o.g.) for a family (pro-bono) and the EOR says that foundations and framing inspections are required and 'standard on all their projects'. In my state (CA) a simple project like this with conventional details does not require these inspections except at the discretion of the building official or the EOR. I wouldn't care except they are asking the client for a lot of money to perform each one and I know they can barely afford it. Other engineers I've spoken to said they wouldn't require them for a small project like this.

My follow up question is, is the EOR obligated to designate a different structural observer than themselves if the client requests it? My thinking is I can possibly find someone less expensive to do the observation.

Any thoughts or perspective? Thank you in advance.

Mar 19, 22 12:15 am
Non Sequitur

yep. Tell them to pay the professionals. 

Mar 19, 22 8:00 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

In my experience, SEORs would not allow other parties to perform inspections, unless such items fall under the 'special inspection'.   If a client requests this, then the SEOR would  likely to have the another party to become the SEOR and they will leave the job.  In their view, this is a risky move as the third party does the inspections while the SEOR is still liable for their design.   It's like while you are the AOR and stamped the drawings, third party architect performs the CA work such as approving submittals/shop drawings.. I think I side with the SEOR's statement.  It is pretty typical practice (here in CA) for them to inspect the foundation and framings per their design. It's beneficial for the client as the SEOR will ensure and hold responsibility for what they designed is built to their standards.. Perhaps you can negotiate the extent of inspections and the fees associated with them, but I think the client is reaping the benefit of the SEOR doing the inspections.. 

Apr 12, 22 1:22 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

is the EOR obligated to designate a different structural observer than themselves if the client requests it?

As the responsible professional, I don't think there is any obligation to subcontract anything, esp responsibilities designated under the practice act.

Start with a heart to heart with the engineer about actual vs perceived or speculative liability. Maybe even suggest that he concede the project to another professional who can stomach the perceived exposure? [it sounds like you've already talked to some?] Who knows? Maybe your EOR may have a legitimate reason that may make the expense more of a value to your client...? Just cuz it's expensive doesn't always mean it is without value.

Apr 12, 22 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: