Archinect
anchor

What are your intern tricks?

Kinsbergen

Let's see if everyone can share the tricks they use(d) while an intern.

This could be anything from model making tricks to how to dodge the overtime. 

Feb 17, 22 5:19 pm
RJ87

Sit with your computer screen facing a wall.

Feb 17, 22 5:35 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

yup

Feb 18, 22 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

So others can't see what you're doing. Also, google words & phrases that you come across that you don't understand.

Feb 18, 22 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

try to have some solution figured but asking questions. Ie don’t run to your superior empty handed when you have questions. 

Feb 17, 22 5:44 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Also, I found simply having questions clearly set out and written down was super helpful. Otherwise I'd forget things after the first item's discussion. My superiors appreciated the organized, efficient use of their time, I think.

Feb 17, 22 5:47 pm  · 
5  · 
whistler

Best project manager I ever worked with ... and still have the occasional project with would always inform me the same way.... "We have a problem on site" but always followed with "but I have a couple ways to resolve it!". Blood pressure up immediately followed by blood pressure down, super nimble guy who was always thinking on his feet. He was a real asset to the firm and the project.

Feb 18, 22 4:43 pm  · 
2  · 

Eavesdrop on as many conversations as you can without being creepy about it. This usually means not putting on headphones when others are in the office. I'm constantly surprised at things I learned and have kept with me that I overheard a coworker dealing with on a phone call for example. Polite follow up questions like, "Hey, I couldn't help but overhear your phone call with the contractor about an hour ago and I was hoping you could help me understand ..." are usually ok.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but be smart about who you ask and how you ask. Be inquisitive and seek knowledge ... don't be annoying.

Don't Learn Revit. Except you'll probably need to know Revit so go ahead and learn it ... but the main concept of the post still applies: don't pigeonhole yourself early in your career with technology when looking for a job. If you're going to get hired because of your Revit skills, it probably means you'll only be using those Revit skills and not learning all the other important parts of the profession.

Ask about not only mowing the lawn, but also about how the firm is going to support you in your growth in the profession.

Plus some others on getting for your first job(s) in the industry, and managing the work and stress of those jobs.

Feb 17, 22 6:02 pm  · 
2  · 
zonker

I started out as a Revit Ninja, was immediately assigned to technical architecture and only made a few side trips to design, as a substitute designer. One of my co-workers at a firm "opted out" stuck with sketchup and design. One you get into the production pigeon hole, it's almost impossible to get out. Then one fine day, "10 years have gone behind you, you missed the starting gun"

Feb 18, 22 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

It's: "... no one told you wen to run, you missed the starting gun *wicked guitar solo*"

I'm curious what technical architecture and production pigeon-hole means to you Zonkers. Are you just a glorified drafter? 

Feb 21, 22 12:51 am  · 
 · 

Jeez, I just realized who the OP is. Oh well. We'll see how the thread goes soon enough I suppose.

Feb 17, 22 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

To clarify this statement because upon reflection is probably comes off the wrong way ... the OP seems to have a knack for producing some threads that go off the rails. Not all by their own contributions, but at least one I can think of that did. For a while it seemed like their goal was simply to create controversy (i.e. here and here). Hoping that's changed and nothing in this thread would point me toward that goal here, but I've been and seen others sucked in and burned before with well-intentioned answers (i.e. here). Like I said, we'll see how this one turns out soon enough.

Feb 17, 22 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

don’t drink and draft…

Feb 18, 22 6:23 am  · 
 · 
RJ87

There's a difference between being drunk & being the drunk. It's an important distinction. Don't make a scene.

Feb 18, 22 2:26 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I can remember when it was a sign of commitment to your work to have both coffee and beer spills, as well as cigarette ashes, on your drawings - but not too much, because you didn't want to look like a total slob.

Feb 18, 22 2:36 pm  · 
1  · 
archinet

Do what you are told as quickly and diligently as possible- overtime my superiors invited me to conversations about design and construction, and handed me more responsibility. You have to earn responsibility, not just expect it. 

Feb 18, 22 7:59 am  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

Protip: Don't turn down the opportunity to have a beer with your boss/senior arch/firm ownership/etc.  You'll get far more insight on how the business is run this way than you will hammering at redlines all day.  Also, they will likely pay for your beer.

Feb 18, 22 8:22 am  · 
6  · 
Bench

+1 on this. And when they pay for your beer, offer to buy the second round ...

Feb 18, 22 8:50 am  · 
4  · 
zonker

Ask intelligent well thought out questions. Always have a solution in mind. Be quick, very quick. it's only those that that are perceived as best and brightest that get the "plum" design assignments. If your PM/PA perceives you as a "dolt" you will end up buried in menial tasks, then layed off. 

Feb 18, 22 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
jcarch

My number one rule for interns (and for myself ) is write it down.  Everyone thinks they have a great memory, but they don't.  There's nothing more aggravating than giving an intern 3 tasks to work on, and then checking in on them the next day to find they've completed two of them.  "What about the third thing?"  "Oh, I forgot about that."  That should never happen.

Feb 18, 22 4:27 pm  · 
3  · 
bowling_ball

Ask questions. Then ask more questions. Talk to your co-workers, and when you're not talking, LISTEN. Taking notes is a great suggestion.

Don't assume all knowledge and info is online. Pick up the phone and call your product reps, inspectors, etc. Not only will you get the information faster, you'll make personal and professional connections that will help you for the rest of your career. 

Contribute. If you see an empty coffee cup in the boardroom, take it to the kitchen. Offer to visit sites, including to do things like take as-built dimensions. 

If you ask yourself "what can I do to make my boss' job easier?" you'll be halfway there. 

Feb 21, 22 10:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: