Archinect
anchor

Associate position in Canada vs US

ArchKid

What does an Associate position mean in Canada vs US architectural firms.

From what I read is that 

Associate in Canada is part of the management level (1 or 2 levels below Partners)

In US, an Associate is pretty much Intern Architect (someone that finished their experience hours and school)?

Can someone confirm? 

Dec 20, 21 12:52 am
Non Sequitur

associate is not a specific defined professional term and it will entirely depend on the structure of the office. Sometimes it’s just a fancy word to mean staff, other times it’s a sign of seniority or management role. I’m in the later category. 

Dec 20, 21 6:45 am  · 
 · 
midlander

in my previous US firm it meant any licensed professional who had no role in management of the company. for young staff it was a sign of potential, for long-time staff it was a sign of plateauing.

Dec 20, 21 8:54 am  · 
 · 
ArchKid

I seen some firms call staff that is still doing their experience hours Designers. And the staff that is already finished their experience hours and is ready to do their exams, Associates.

AIA has this def:

Associate membership is open to individuals who have a professional degree in architecture from an NAAB accredited school, work under the supervision of an architect, are enrolled in AXP, or are a faculty member in a university program in architecture

Dec 20, 21 10:51 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

ArchKid, that's just a membership type to the AIA and has nothing to do with a professional title within a firm

Dec 20, 21 11:32 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^this. I can totally see large firms tagging their staff with associate labels just to make them feel better... If the "title" does not come with increased responsibilities and compensation, then it means nothing.

Dec 20, 21 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Most of the US firms I've been at that use "associate" in their titles have used it as a titular promotion of sorts. Could be applied to a licensed or unlicensed individual (though some had a strong preference that you were licensed before they'd promote you). Had to do more with your tenure at the firm and your level of stature within the firm. Your job largely remains the same, you may or may not have some added responsibilities in leadership/mentorship, your standing in the firm increases slightly, and you might get some added benefits. Usually the added responsibilities in leadership/mentorship are unofficial and mostly just a sort of acknowledgement that you are someone who others should look to for help/guidance within your role.

I never liked when firms would use it to refer to unlicensed staff.

Dec 20, 21 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: