Archinect
anchor

Construction documents

bydicoma123

If the “architecture design” is already done in the schematic design stage and in the design development stage, what is the role of the architect in construction documents stage and why the architect is needed, if there are structural, MEP, etc, engineers who complete the architectural design in this phase?

Dec 15, 21 8:51 am
Non Sequitur

Is this a serious question or are you really this fucking clueless?

schematic is like less than 5% of what we do.  DD and CD are the bread and butter of our services plus we're often responsible for heavy coordination with all the consultants and during construction.  Case in point, your mechanical and electrical p.eng might be from the same office... and they might even sit next to each other, but they for shit ain't going to talk to each other to make sure one's stuff does not interfere with the other... let alone interfere with the finishes/windows/doors/reality/etc.  

Dec 15, 21 10:43 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

Could be a bot? Doesn't seem to understand or acknowledge any answers ever

Dec 15, 21 10:45 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Stand corrected below haha.

Dec 15, 21 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

This is a repeat of the other thread though.

Dec 15, 21 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Yup. I figured I'd help the OP out. By doing his homework for him / her I'm actually setting them up for failure in their future. They won't have the ability to research anything and eventually this lack of a basic skill will ruin their life.

Dec 15, 21 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Calm down people. OP is 16-years-old and trying to figure out what to do with their life. Their posts show a lack of knowledge, but they don't seem intent on trolling or anything. They have more figured out than I did at their age. Good on Chad for giving some thoughtful replies.

Dec 15, 21 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
bydicoma123

serious question 

Dec 15, 21 10:45 am  · 
 · 

Short answer - the design isn't finished in SD and DD.  

Longer but greatly simplified answer:

There are four standard phases in the design and construction of a project.  There are also two additional phases that architects can be hired to perform that occur before SD. 

Conceptual (additional service) - exploring big ideas and concepts 

Programming (additional service) - deterring what and how much is in the building. 

SD (15% of work)- general forms, layout, programming.

DD (20% of work) - providing more detail and thought into how the building goes together. Starting to determine what products and materials are in the project. 

CD (55% of work) - creating the drawings that show how to construct the building. Finalizing the products and materials that are in the project.  

CA (20% of work)-  monitoring the construction process and making sure the project is built per the construction documents.  Also solving any unforeseen issues with the building design that may occur during construction. 

In the standard phases of a project the architect and all of the design consultants (civil, landscape architect, MEP, structural, audio visual, acoustical, ect) work together to come up with building design.  It is the architects job to coordinate all of the work of the various consultants.  

I hope this is helpful.  I would recommend reaching out to a local architect to show you examples of the work done in each phase of a project.  You'll be surprised how much is done in the CD phase. 

For example, in a 100,000 sf middle school project for just the architectural drawings I did a few years ago

SD: 12 sheets, DD: 55 sheets, CD: 86 sheets

Dec 15, 21 10:52 am  · 
 · 
bydicoma123

And in big projects  (the detail design is often signed by engineering companies) the role of the architect in construction documents phase is the same?

Dec 15, 21 11:06 am  · 
 · 

It's the same. The engineers only design and sign off on their own work. Take a look at the images below. Anything that doesn't say to reference an engineer has been designed by the architect.

Even when an engineer designs say a cmu wall architects still needs to know how it goes together and show it's construction and how it relates to other types of construction. 

Dec 15, 21 11:21 am  · 
2  · 
bydicoma123

Thanks

Dec 15, 21 11:30 am  · 
 · 

You're welcome. Be sure to credit me as a source in your homework.

Dec 15, 21 11:31 am  · 
4  · 
JLC-1

I can assure you it's copied and pasted without reading.

Dec 15, 21 1:07 pm  · 
1  · 

Probably. That's why I made sure to have spelling errors and typos in it. Also one line of text is blatantly wrong. ;)

All joking aside. If this helps someone else who has a legitimate question about this then it's worth it.

Dec 15, 21 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Construction Documents are the part not taught in USA architecture schools.

Dec 15, 21 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Depends on the school. I was taught about CD's and how to prepare them in school. Our right out of school intern was also taught about how to create CD's in school.

Dec 15, 21 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: