Archinect
anchor

M Arch Portfolios from NON-ARCH (or Design) backgrounds

amrosenk

I am planning on making quite a large career jump from a Pre-med background to Architecture and I haven't been able to find example portfolios from people applying to M.Arch WITHOUT any art/architecture background.  The threads I have seen are now outdated and have only broken links.  The portfolios I have seen all seem to have an intimidatingly large amount of architectural and design knowledge, which makes me think I do not have a high probability of being accepted.

The programs I am looking at make it clear that you don't need a design background but as a M. Arch hopeful with literally no experience in the field, I am at a loss for what would be expected of a portfolio. 

I spoke with the U.Mich admissions and they mentioned that the main components of a portfolio they look for are three-dimensional skill, technical skill and human and social concerns.  Any ideas for how these should be shown with out design (particularly the human/social concerns).

If anyone has a portfolio, that was put together with no architecture background, I'd love to see it, just to get an idea of what is needed to make it competitive. 

Nov 12, 21 10:25 am
Non Sequitur

What have you assembled so far?  Do you draw, paint, sculpt, carve?

More importantly, why leave medicine for architecture?  How much do you know about architecture education and architecture in the working world?

Nov 12, 21 10:44 am  · 
 · 
amrosenk

Throughout Highschool and college I was always interested in art and design but thought of it more as a hobby. I have watercolors and paintings from AP art concentration that was focused on buildings, and have been learning Adobe ID, PS, and illustrator to design the graphics of the portfolio itself. Right now I am working in research and after seriously considering applying for medical school and beginning preparations I basically realized that its what I have always felt I needed to do after starting the track but I don't have the passion for it that I once did.  I do not like the way the medical system operates and do not want to be in a lab environment forever.  I've always loved design and math and have done the research on architecture and the working world and really think that I can be much happier in pursuing this track!  Working in 3D is really where I lack skills and experience.

Nov 12, 21 10:55 am  · 
 · 
amrosenk

Throughout Highschool and college I was always interested in art and design but thought of it more as a hobby. I have watercolors and paintings from AP art concentration that was focused on buildings, and have been learning Adobe ID, PS, and illustrator to design the graphics of the portfolio itself. Right now I am working in research and after

Nov 12, 21 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don't know why you're stuck on the 3D aspect... entrance folios are about demonstrating your ability to think/solve issues in creative ways while expressing the basics of design (scale, proportions, light, perspective, etc). You don't need to (nor should you try) make an attempt to include architecture-like things if you don't know what you're doing. Best to concentrate on what skills you already have and I would recommend not use work that was done for the sake of a HS assignment.

Easy recommendations are to pick up some pencils and a sketch pad and go out and draw whatever is around you including it's context.  Once you knock several dozen out, pick one or two and put them aside.  Rinse and repeat with different context and mediums.  Look at small things and large things and try to have purpose behind your pieces.

Nov 12, 21 11:26 am  · 
 · 

Felt the same way when I applying to MLA schools last year. While I can only give a 50% success rate, I can share my portfolio that was accepted to RISD's 3-year MLA program w/ a hefty scholarship.

For context, I'm a recent B.Com graduate from McGill University (Montreal, Canada) who applied to UofT and RISD. My background at least was an academic study in environmental studies and my work/projects in graphic design/spatial design. But I always planned for the switch into (landscape) architecture since my first year at university. At that point, I had decided to complete my bachelors and pursue my architectural studies as a masters (as the switch would've taken as much time to complete a B.Arch or B.Com+MLA).

All to say, my portfolio is on my website: rashalama.com (NOTE: This portfolio is my current one. My MLA application portfolio was the exact same EXCEPT without pg.8-13, which I later added for job-hunting purposes.) Again, I'm not saying this is IT as I was rejected by a school, but at least it was happily accepted by another school and it still is the ONLY MLA/M.Arch portfolio I've found without a background in Arch/Design.

Nov 15, 21 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 
Archithoughts2

There are a fair amount of non-background app portfolios floating around issuu but unfortunately there won't be an easy sorting mechanism you kind of just have to search for them w various keywords, etc.

Nov 15, 21 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
jaredo

not sure how helpful this will be, but I switched from neuroscience to architecture and I now I am about to finish my first semester at GSAPP. My portfolio contained content from a summer architecture program (highly recommend taking such programs, e.g. GSAPP's intro to arch program), a series of hand drawn work (sketches of buildings, other drawings), photography, clay models, and even painting. I'd say good advice is to focus on intention and clarity of your portfolio material, and what matters most is your thought process rather than showing complex drawings that are otherwise arbitrary and just take up space. I had my hesitations, and it's been difficult coming from a non-arch background, but if you're passionate it'll be gratifying, intellectually stimulating and enjoyable. Good luck!

Nov 16, 21 12:07 am  · 
 · 
placemaker

Hey there—I’d recommend DMing the accounts that posted the portfolios that have been deleted. DMs go straight to email, so even if they aren’t still on architect regularly like they were in their grad application days, they’ll see it. I had a lot of success reaching out to people who had posted a year or two before I was applying. That being said, you’d probably have a higher success rate earlier in the fall or in mid-late December once final reviews are done for current students.

Anyways, now I’m one of those people. I’m a year and a half into my M. Arch, non-background, and I’m happy to share my portfolio. I’m on mobile right now but if you DM me I’ll email it to you.

Nov 16, 21 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: