Archinect
anchor

Architect resigns in protest over “mega dorm”

GARCIN: [A short silence. He strolls round the room.] No windows. Only to be expected. 

GARCIN: Is it daytime now?

VALET: Can't you see? The lights are on.

GARCIN: Ah yes, I've got it. It's your daytime. And outside?

VALET: Outside?

GARCIN: Damn it, you know what I mean. Beyond that wall.

VALET. There's a passage.

GARCIN: And at the end of the passage?

VALET: There's more rooms, more passages, and stairs.

GARCIN: And what lies beyond them?

VALET: That's all.

from Sartre, No Exit (they're in Hell)

Nov 2, 21 6:58 pm  · 
3  · 
rcz1001

Time for OLED "wall paper" that can dynamically change the scene from daytime to night-time appearance.

Where the wall essentially has a built in large OLED panel that changes between a daytime animated wallpaper and a nighttime animated wall paper. (animated that is gradual and not the kind that can cause problems for some people).

Nov 3, 21 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

That or buy a bunch of Tilt Five glasses kit (glasses, wand, RR game board/fiducial) and put up a bunch of retroreflective fabric as wallpaper and turn these rooms into a personal "holodeck" rooms.

Nov 3, 21 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

The more I look at the presentation the more I think well it’s not unlike a college student working on a cruise ship. The building amenities look great.  If the numbers allow the amenities then it’s hard to go too hard on the windowless sleeping cells or alcoves. It’s an experiment for sure, but someone mentioned the homeless problem, and other issues. I don’t think it’s appropriate for a home. A dorm a monastery, a convent, a transitional adult housing. In that light it may be something that should be allowed to exist, to try cautiously in terms of broad use, but try. 

Nov 3, 21 6:14 pm  · 
rcz1001

Dorms have been something that has been in use for a long time. However, it's isn't necessarily the issue that the sleeping rooms (which these dorms rooms are essentially and being about the size of a bedroom... some closer to a larger bedroom) usually have windows as an emergency rescue opening. If we require it in single family dwellings and small apartments, why are we not requiring it for a large complex like this? Even in the 1950s, they did this even with adequate egress hall and where necessary, stairs which leads to an exterior door exit, for 10-16 dorm units. In this age, we would have sprinklers and fire alarms. In case of a fire and smoke filled halls and all, the egress is particularly more complicated than would be ideal for emergency evacuation purposes because in that situation, people can get turned around without some good means to giving them direction. Some people can get disoriented more than others and can find themselves lost in the "maze" which in a catastrophic fire event is very bad news. I see issues with the design.

Nov 3, 21 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Who dis?

Nov 3, 21 8:34 pm  · 
9  · 
citizen

I like the colorful accents on the right.

Nov 3, 21 9:22 pm  · 
3  · 

Too much wasted space, gotta increase the density. Maybe add remote learning ...

Nov 3, 21 9:07 pm  · 
4  · 
lestercorbus

The lighting fixture company should not allow their product to be used like this.

Nov 4, 21 11:10 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Hmmmm

Nov 4, 21 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

That is Japanese capsule hotel. It is just for the night. Not even that bad. You should look at Hongkong cage house. Google it, that is what happens to the poor when pure capitalism runs wild.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Guy gave $200M. The design does suck, but If the dorm price is half compare to adjacent dorm or apartments because of the subsidized $200M. I would take it without a problem. Spoiled Americans. Let the recent inflation and rising house price teach you a lesson.

Man I want that billionaire to donate me some money and build me a house. I will take it no matter how suck the design is.

Nov 4, 21 12:40 pm  · 
tduds

"but If the dorm price is half compare to adjacent dorm or apartments because of the subsidized $200M." 

From what I've seen, it's not. The budget per bed is higher than just about every recent dorm construction, even *after* subtracting $200m.

Nov 4, 21 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

And the Mainland concentration camps is what happens when communism exists. Either scenario is what happens when humans have control over other humans. Fortunately in capitalism we have a choice not to pay for that dorm. The Uyhgurs don’t have that choice.

Nov 4, 21 1:44 pm  · 
1  ·  2
x-jla

Don’t throw the baby away with the bath water

Nov 4, 21 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

well tduds. If the dorm price is the same, then it is the worst case scenario. The university simply pockets the $200M, pay a big 500k salary to the high ranking staff, continue to milk students simply because they can. Well, ain't my beeswax. The students will pay anyway if there are no cheaper options. That is life.

Nov 4, 21 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Jay1122, for transient housing (some might interpret that to be housing for transients.... code word for 'homeless' but that's not what I mean because I'm using Codes terminology)... that would be fine. You're there for a night or two but spending most of the time touring the town and terrorizing the citizens and littering your trash around at the expense of the citizens all with carelessness because you won't be around long.

Nov 4, 21 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

The dorm is still going to be billed at a rate that is calculated in the Cost of Attendance calculation which means even if you get a 4 x 7 foot room, you still pay around the same amount as a regular dorm for a single student which is more than what is normally charged for dorms for 2 or more students per square area. Since it is new construction, it would ALWAYS be in the most expensive tier at the rates of newer dorms versus one that has been around for 50+ years. The prices aren't much different but you also get screwed as a student because you get less area for the higher price.

Nov 4, 21 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Jay, STFU and go back to your Foxconn dorm. Thanks.

Nov 9, 21 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
RAFAELT

Previous Versions were not much better:  

Nov 4, 21 4:46 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

So what do the architects at 'Van Tilburg, Banvard, & Soderbergh Architects' (VTBS.com) think of this thing? Perhaps they can log on here and advise us. 

Nov 10, 21 6:29 am  · 
1  · 
robertmiller1

The proposed building appears to be structurally redundant. Fixed steel bunk beds can surely accommodate students at the proposed density and these could, when connected, create an adequately braced three dimensional space frame capable of supporting all interior floors, partitions, and equipment, as well as the entire exterior weather envelope including green roof and ivy. The resulting savings can pay for added perimeter walls, allowing each room an exterior exposure at least equal to that of a historic Lower East Side tenement. A quick reading of the most recent AIA code of ethics should take care of the rest. 

The gift of one share of Berkshire Hathaway to each entering student can partially offset her/his likely mental health costs. 

Jan 26, 22 2:53 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I always liked the dorms at the Savannah College of Art and Design's Lacoste, France, campus location, even though they were repurposed from ruins. But that's just me. They might fit in with the overall Santa Barbara vibe, no?

Jan 26, 22 9:43 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

No light and air requirements for R-1 occupancies. 

Nov 29, 23 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Aaron Betsky pointed out that Munger's design actually did meet code requirements. On a purely legal basis, Munger won the argument and he didn't give AF about other design concerns - which he deemed subjective.

Nov 29, 23 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

But also, just meeting code means you’re building the least terrible building you’re allowed to build. That dorm was so enormous that it was the least terrible thing on steroids.

Nov 29, 23 5:12 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Said another way, in our Pretty Good House presentations we point out that meeting code minimum is the worst house you can legally build.

Nov 30, 23 9:53 am  · 
1  · 

Exactly, Wood Guy. Much better stated.

Nov 30, 23 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: