Archinect
anchor

Differences of working at a practice in another part of the world

vladimirlissoi

Hello everyone!

I'm very new here and have a specific goal. I would like to tap your minds for individual experiences, of people who have worked or studied (or both) as an architect in another country. 

I am writing a paper and would like to dig down on differences in how architectural practices operate in another country and find the fundamental differences they have with UK. Things they do improve productivity at a work place, their practices on bidding, finding and securing clients, procurement routes and things of that nature. 

I would like to see if we can implement these everyday tasks or whatever it may be, in our place of work. 

So if anyone had any experience working around the world (preferably in a non English speaking country where the RIBA and the JCT contracts are little known), I would be very grateful if you could share your knowledge with me.

Thank you

Oct 20, 21 3:23 pm
JLC-1

it's quite a broad question, could you be more specific?

I've worked in Chile, United States, Spain and Italy, all very different from each other, but the pieces are the same. 

Chile and Spain are similar in practice, where architects are trained in all aspects of development, so planners, urban designers, landscape architects don't exist as separate schools. In Chile you get your license with your degree, because it's a 5 year undergrad and includes professional practice, and after that you do your final project and get licensed. In general, I'd say coming out of that school system is clearly an advantage over the United States. 

Italy is a totally different animal, there's 5 architects every 20 people and most don't work in building practice, I worked designing Fair Stands and events. L'architetto is viewed as just below god, so there's many trades that are done by other professionals, like Geometra who does anything from surveys to remodels.

The United States is weird man, lots of protectionism over the title "architect" because apparently, in this country, you can be a fake doctor and do surgeries without a degree and it killed some people, so now everybody asks you for your credentials in the street. 

Apart from these differences, procurements, bids, tenders, proposals, estimates, take-offs, rough-ins and layouts work the same. There's more material options in the US than anywhere else in the universe, and everybody else is trying to keep up with joneses.

it's long, I know.

Oct 20, 21 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
vladimirlissoi

Thanks for the reply.

Chile is the one that interested me the most and the one that has the most to gain from within the western world, in my eyes. I was hoping some one would have experience there.

You described the education process quiet well. Could you elaborate a little on the "nature of the profession". Like you said, in Italy architects are highly regarded, what is the view of the profession in Chile? Are they viewed as professionals on par with lawyers and doctors?

Perhaps it would be good if I could DM you a few questions? Would be ideal.

Oct 21, 21 5:05 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

sure, go ahead.

Oct 21, 21 10:52 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: