Archinect
anchor

Architectural Style of Lake House

dutchirons

I'm going to be doing a major remodel on our lake house, and was wondering what architectural style it is. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

Sep 28, 21 12:24 pm
tduds

Contractor modern.

Sep 28, 21 12:26 pm  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

I'd've said "builder contemporary", as "modern" might be seen as implying an actual style, even with the "contractor" qualifier, while "contemporary" is almost totally meaningless, and who knows whether it was built by a licensed contractor or an "owner-builder".

Sep 29, 21 2:09 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Good point. Also "Contractor Contemporary" has that nice alliteration going for it.

Sep 29, 21 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't see a lake so it can't be a lake house.

That'll be $200 consultation fee please.

Sep 28, 21 12:50 pm  · 
6  · 
Non Sequitur

Side note... for anyone interested:

https://www.coldwellbankerhome...

So... I'm doubting OP's honesty here.  Likely a GC flipper or a slimy realtor.

Sep 28, 21 12:52 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

That's what passes for a lake house in Texas? My property actually abuts a lake but I don't call it a lake house because it's a 1/4 mile (sorry--0.4km) walk to get there.

Sep 28, 21 1:24 pm  · 
3  · 

Listing says the architectural style is "traditional."

Glad we solved the OP's problem/crisis.

Sep 28, 21 1:25 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

To be fair, the listing says "sale pending," and the interior is dated despite some contemporary updates, so there is a chance that the OP is the prospective buyer and really is planning on a renovation. A slim chance, but...

Sep 28, 21 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip
To be fair

Sep 28, 21 3:08 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Oh look and I was right. Boom. (Letterkenney +++, at least in small doses.)

Sep 28, 21 3:12 pm  · 
1  · 

Wood - never be fair with people wanting free architectural services.

Sep 28, 21 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Is that "Miller's Corollary to Fields's Law"?

(cf Fields, W.C., Never Give a Sucker an Even Break. Universal Pictures, 1941.)

Sep 29, 21 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

I think so atelier.

Sep 29, 21 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

Wow.  The OP is a  lying douche who wants free architectural services.  

I'm shocked!  SHOCKED I SAY.  

Sep 28, 21 1:22 pm  · 
1  · 
dutchirons

Wow, this is quite a crew. Not sure what I lied about. I close on the house tomorrow. Did you need the financial details to provide a simple opinion? I can see this forum is just a bunch of frustrated architects that have greatly overvalued their opinions. I'm guessing architects that have thriving careers aren't spending working hours on a forum. My mistake for looking for an architect here. 

Trying being helpful, and you might get more/better clients. 

Sep 28, 21 2:02 pm  · 
2  ·  1

If you were here looking to hire an architect to help with the remodel, why didn't you just say so? We'd be more than happy to help with that.

Sep 28, 21 2:13 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Our professional opinions are worth $$$. You got got great value for what you paid for so I don't know why your complaining.

Sep 28, 21 2:18 pm  · 
2  · 

duchirons - so you came to the forum to ask questions of frustrated architects who have overvalued opinions?

Let me guess - you already have the remodel all designed and just need someone to draw up the plans for permitting.  

Sure . . . .

Sep 28, 21 2:45 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

You think you're the first prospective buyer / investor / flipper / high school student to pop in here with a "What style is this house?" thread? My dude, you're not even in the top 50. These threads get snarky responses because, by & large, they're not interesting, they're repetitive, the OP never sticks around, and the regular posters are sick of them. 

This is a forum for architects to socialize & kvetch amongst ourselves. You'll find a lot of positivity and knowledge in the threads that are interesting to architects. Sorry this isn't one of them.

Sep 28, 21 4:23 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

In immediate retrospect that was harsher than it probably needed to be. Still, do a quick search, these threads are a dime a dozen and they never go well.

Sep 28, 21 4:30 pm  · 
1  · 

No, not overly harsh. I love kvetching with my archinect family.

Sep 28, 21 10:17 pm  · 
1  · 

I don't have any examples on hand, but I swear there have been times when people come in and have been upfront that they are looking for advice on how to find and hire an architect and those threads have gone really well. It's the ones like this that end up going poorly for the OP. I'm convinced that if the OP came in with the following, they'd be really happy with the replies:

"I close on this house tomorrow. I'm going to be doing a major remodel on it. I don't know what the architectural style of the house is, or if that matters, but I'm wondering how I can engage with an architect to help me. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!"

Sep 29, 21 12:56 am  · 
3  · 
midlander

your observation is accurate, but in my experience training clients / the public how to communicate is a futile endeavor. better just to be understanding and patient.

Sep 29, 21 4:25 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

mid, you know you're right, but these same people would never conduct their own professional affairs in that way, and then all of a sudden gain some superior knowledge down the road, during the design, and construction phases...maddening.

Sep 29, 21 5:51 am  · 
1  · 

OP, here is a real answer: the house does not have a style. Lots of historic homes do have a “style”, but it doesn’t matter what their style is, because style is just a word that’s a way for realtors to explain a house. The only style this house should be is what you want it to be. And if you can afford to buy that house you can afford to buy the time of a designer to help you make it your own style.

Sep 28, 21 3:37 pm  · 
12  · 
Volunteer

I think is is a generic modern style with some elements borrowed from the past. The wrap-around porch around the single room facing the lake indicates a deep-south colonial aspect, as does that portion of the house being elevated. The large chimney makes the home more substantial than a first look would indicate. The rest of the house in the back looks borrowed from a plain vanilla ranch house and from the side view it appears pure ranch style. For starters I would paint the whole house an off white, including the columns to bring it all together and add some landscaping across the front and sides. later on you can decide what you want to do. 

Lots of possibilities here. You could go from Creole Cottage to full-blown modern. Good luck. 

Sep 28, 21 4:53 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Looks like typical 2x4 spec build with extra porch area to me. Just personal opinion. I don't think hiring an architect is worth the money to remodel a typical 2x4 spec build. Most of the time, the remodel is just kitchen, bathroom, change sidings, windows, etc. replace in kind. Use that money to hire a competent contractor is more bang for the bucks. 

But If you are looking to fully gut the house and turn it into some kind of uniquely shaped high performance modern house. With superior thermal, acoustical performance. Unique finishes and constructions. Then you should definitely hire an architect. But that renovation cost will cost more than the house you buy. So I doubt it.

Sep 28, 21 5:06 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I calm in peace 

Sep 28, 21 6:43 pm  · 
10  · 
Non Sequitur

42 internets points for you.

Sep 28, 21 7:26 pm  · 
2  · 

OMG beta this is the best!

Sep 28, 21 9:13 pm  · 
1  · 

Don't be talking about no style up here here. We wear all black, so we have none.

Sep 28, 21 6:55 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I resemble that remark!

Sep 28, 21 7:16 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm more an earth tones type of guy . . .

Sep 29, 21 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

I never wear black, unless it's a metal shirt. I'm not kidding.

Sep 29, 21 12:18 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm the same. I have one black dress shirt but it's part of a 1930's gangster costume.

Sep 29, 21 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm a pale redhead I look terrible in black. I think I also avoid it specifically to buck the Architect stereotype. I like colors!

Sep 29, 21 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I have lime green pants.

Sep 29, 21 1:52 pm  · 
3  · 

We have an older guy in our office that doesn't like when I wear Terracotta color pants.

Sep 29, 21 2:04 pm  · 
1  · 

That guy is just jealous. That guy can fornicate himself with a sharpie.

Sep 29, 21 2:05 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

I was just in a conversation the other day about weather in Southern California and mentioned I had to completely relearn how to function as a design professional when I couldn't wear black turtlenecks anymore...

Sep 29, 21 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Chad, he's actually extremely knowledgeable regarding exterior envelope so less fornicating sharpies, more giving him crap back then asking questions.

Sep 29, 21 2:24 pm  · 
1  · 

At least have him sketch up a detail before he uses the sharpie on himself. ;)

Sep 30, 21 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

It is hard to tell from the parallax in the photograph. It appears to be a diy game room and porch addition to a typical 1 story suburban house. If true, it needs the services of a skilled archinect.

Sep 28, 21 7:57 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

like people, not all houses have identifiable style. this is a mishmash of elements that looks a bit awkward though carefully done. i think sometimes people asking "what's my style" questions are doing the equivalent of online personality tests, trying to find some hidden meaning where maybe there isn't one.

my advice is find an architect who starts with a focus on the landscape. those are some beautiful trees which deserve more consideration (and space!) than the current house provides.

Sep 28, 21 8:30 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

i'd also note the original house behind the porch looks like a basic 1930ish bungalow, but has been substantially altered. sort of over-upgraded to be honest, taking a modest small cottage and adding on increasingly high quality constructions.

Sep 28, 21 8:40 pm  · 
1  · 

The RE listing notes the home was built in 1987. It could still be made in '87 to look like a '30s bungalow ... but the house is younger than I am.

Sep 28, 21 8:56 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

i see. i wonder if it was rebuilt or something. the porch addition clearly was done by a different team than the original house and with a much better budget for windows and trim...

Sep 28, 21 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

yeah so mid80's bungalow style, with an awkward megaporch addition ;D google maps definitely shows its part of a strip of 80s exurban development

Sep 28, 21 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

maybe we can call this style "Reaganite Exurban"

Sep 28, 21 9:23 pm  · 
3  · 

“Megaporch addition” is good! But “mid80’s bungalow” isn’t a thing…but I love that you Google mapped it, midlander! Jeez seriously, how did we get anything done before the internet?!

Sep 28, 21 10:21 pm  · 
2  · 

Btw, what's wrong with this house? To me, a licenced architect in California, nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't want to work on it and contribute shit to a landfill somewhere. What a wasteful ego of 'I'm gonna make it mine' that exist in American homeownership.
Is this in a gator country?

Sep 29, 21 1:32 pm  · 
3  · 
JLC-1

bingo! I commented in other thread about second or third homeowners buying houses they don't like and then "how can I make it my "style"".

Sep 29, 21 2:11 pm  · 
2  · 

I do find it odd that OP calls it a 'lake house' when there isn't a lake within 20 miles of the site.  Maybe the OP meant 'ditch with water'. Must be a Texas thing.  I hear they go wild for hills.

Sep 29, 21 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The interiors are pretty bland and unlikely to last much longer. The exterior is fine. Some modest finish upgrades ought to be enough.

Sep 29, 21 2:35 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

yes, this is small in comparison to the client that bought a log home, and didn't like logs.

Sep 29, 21 2:36 pm  · 
2  · 

Meh, I don't mind the interiors. I'd change the casework for sure but other than that it would be a swanky 'lake house'. If there was a lake that is.

Sep 29, 21 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

It looks like it's exactly a mile from the house to Canyon Lake. But that's still far from being a lake house.

Sep 29, 21 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Since we have the listing for the property . . .  if the OP buys it then his name and all his info will be public record.  Just an FYI for future people who want to post stuff like this.  Your anonymity is not guaranteed so be careful and play nice.  

Sep 29, 21 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The house is in Texas 'Hill Country' where limestone is very available and popular for houses. Many historic homes reflect the architecture of the early German settlers, quite a few mimic homes in the south of France, and there quite a few modern ones as well. 

Sep 29, 21 4:08 pm  · 
2  · 
TIQM

"I can see this forum is just a bunch of frustrated architects that have greatly overvalued their opinions. I'm guessing architects that have thriving careers aren't spending working hours on a forum.“

That’s a bingo!

Sep 30, 21 11:14 am  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

You just say bingo...

Sep 30, 21 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Any yet, here you are.

Sep 30, 21 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Actually, I only spend time here when I'm eating lunch or using the restroom.

Sep 30, 21 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Me too. Explains all the shit posting I guess.

Sep 30, 21 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

For what its worth, here is a renovation on steroids. It would go well in the Texas Hill Country.

Before

After

Sep 30, 21 3:32 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: