Archinect
anchor

Architecture + Unemployment

Axe2598

Are there any architectural solutions to unemployment?

Sep 26, 21 10:01 am
Non Sequitur

yes, many. Very obvious. 

Sep 26, 21 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Axe2598

For example?

Sep 26, 21 10:41 am  · 
 · 
midlander

yes, build more buildings. and limit working hours.

Sep 26, 21 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Phase 1: Architecture

Phase 2:  ???

Phase 3:  Less unemployment! 

Seems rather clear to me.  When is the assignment due Axe2598?

Sep 28, 21 3:48 pm  · 
1  · 

Wrong. Phase 1: Architecture Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

Sep 28, 21 5:49 pm  · 
1  · 
RJ87

Buildings seem to be holding up the "now hiring" signs pretty well right this second. It's finding applicant's that's the problem.

Sep 28, 21 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

If you work in Architecture you will at some point be on Unemployment.

Sep 28, 21 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Nice work if you can get it. There is no wall to wall employment in architecture - unless you are the best and brightest and make sure everyone knows it. If you're a back of house type, you will be in and out of work

Sep 28, 21 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Even then there is no guarantee that you won't be laid off.

Sep 28, 21 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

Turnover rate for architects in the last 10 years or so has generally been pretty low, somewhere around 5-6%. It's higher at the giant firms, more like 12%. But all and all its not doom & gloom. Inevitably there are recessions, which are obviously lean years. But for the most part there's always work out there, I just think a large portion of the "industry" is too proud to do it.

Most of our "industry" is also unlicensed too, but that's another problem.

Sep 28, 21 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

What type of work is the industry too 'proud' to do?

Sep 29, 21 10:27 am  · 
 · 
RJ87

I think there's a contingent of folks that frown upon the idea of doing commercial retail work, economical hotels, gas stations, that sort of thing. The museum or bust crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy design centric projects as much as the next guy. But there's a lot of different building types to fill the que with.

Sep 29, 21 11:19 am  · 
 · 

We're too proud to do the "what architectural style is this house" work

Sep 29, 21 11:31 am  · 
3  · 
RJ87

I wouldn't touch housing in general with a 10 foot pole. Everyone's got their preference. But you also don't need an architect for housing, which is probably part of the problem.

Not to be sidetracked: my original comment was just about how relatively stable being an architect is. It's no more volatile than most jobs.

Sep 29, 21 11:44 am  · 
 · 

I've never worked for a firm that wouldn't do any of those projects types. Except for housing. Single family housing - too difficult to make any money on them. Multi family housing - too much liability. This is especially true for condos in Colorado. 

I think it's important to recognize that certain types and sizes of projects are not profitable for some firms. Hence why some firms stay away from them.  It's not always about being 'too proud' to take on certain types of projects.  

Sep 29, 21 12:14 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

the architectural solution to unemployment is to design yourself a different career...

Sep 29, 21 2:19 pm  · 
2  · 

Tried that. Spaceman and professional hobby model painter didn't make it past programming. :(

Sep 29, 21 2:20 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I once had a "business plan" where I was going to build people models of their own houses to add to their "Christmas Villages" and model railroads. Then I realized it was probably easier to just keep drawing a steady paycheck as an architectural flunky.

Sep 29, 21 2:29 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: