Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Fall 2022 Application Status

lysolbucks

is smarchs already out? i didnt get any email 

Mar 3, 22 6:26 pm  · 
jhcat

In at UPenn, would love to connect with anyone else who got in! :)

Waiting for Cornell and TU Delft, but I guess I won't get into Cornell as they already sent most of the offer on 1st March.

Has any one heard from TU Delft ?

Mar 3, 22 11:00 pm  · 
2  · 
sanahmengi

My friend got rejected from TU delft. Architecture track of the March course back in February. You heard from UPenn architecture right?

Mar 4, 22 12:38 am  · 
 · 
jhcat

Yes I got an email from UPenn earlier today (M.Arch 1 btw) but still no updates from TU Delft and Cornell

Mar 4, 22 2:08 am  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

I'm waiting for Delft as well. uPenn sent out a few acceptances for the MCP. I applied for the UD concentration. I haven't heard anything yet so thinking that its a rejection or a waitlist. Considering myself out there

Mar 4, 22 7:54 am  · 
 · 
jhcat

Wish you all the best for TU Delft !

Mar 5, 22 10:25 am  · 
 · 
jhcat

In at TU Delft

Mar 14, 22 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
sadafhza

if you admitted can you please check my command it is the last one .

Mar 16, 22 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
jhcat

Sure thing!

Mar 18, 22 11:59 am  · 
 · 
kk_2022

Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

B.Arch / Boston Architectural College / Dec 2020 

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.43 / N/A / N/A

Letter of recommendations 

1 from Dean, 2 from professors, 3 from Employers

Personal Essay/Statement 

Portfolio

https://issuu.com/bartcho1995/... 

Schools

Uc Berkeley - WL

GSD - IN

UPenn - IN 

Cornell - IN 

RISD - in with $$$

Pratt - in with $$$

Northeastern - Waiting 

UMass Amherst - IN   

Open house impressions 

Results 

Tips

Mar 3, 22 11:04 pm  · 
3  · 
kk_2022

UC Berkeley - OUT

Mar 17, 22 11:05 am  · 
 · 
kk_2022

Northeastern - IN

Mar 17, 22 11:06 am  · 
 · 
architecture?

Will Penn still be sending out more acceptances on the 10th or will those not notified before then likely be receiving rejections?

Mar 3, 22 11:05 pm  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

The MCP is coming out on 10th. That’s what they mailed. Has UPenn sent out the MCP replies as well?

Mar 4, 22 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Sunshine101

Mar 4, 22 1:23 am  · 
 · 
Sunshine101

Hi, since this type of thread has been pretty helpful to me and I ended up being more successful than I ever expected, I thought I’d share some thoughts for future applicants and also to wish some additional luck to others from this cycle.

B.S. in Architecture/MIT/202X

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.7 - No GRE - No TOEFL

3-4 recommendations: 1 longtime advisor/mentor, 1 research supervisor, 1 architecture studio instructor, 1 misc. instructor. I’ve asked most of them to write letters for previous applications, so they already had a working document for me.

Personal Essay/Statement 

Before writing, I noted down architectural topics/experiences I was interested in and personal strengths and ideas I wanted to highlight in my essays. I tried not to be redundant across multiple essays for the same school and sometimes referenced quotes and precedents that inspired me.

Since I applied to MLA programs too, I wrote about reasons for shifting towards topics of landscape and ecology via coursework, epiphanies, and existing interests.

Portfolio

I’m not really comfortable sharing it, but I can describe a little bit about it. I definitely maxed out on the page limit for each app. Although the table of contents were important to me, I sometimes omitted the cover page and table of contents if needed.

I had a wide range of projects since my undergrad and background aren’t so architecture studio centric. I included 3 architecture projects. The other projects are more architecture aligning work including design, painting, writing, research, ceramics, printed media etc. My longest portfolio with 31 spreads had about 17ish "projects" total. Depending on how I wanted to present each project, I included a few spreads that were more crammed. For the most part, I didn’t want to overload the page, so I used negative space to highlight the important visual work. I also prioritized a legible font. By nature of my school, I included several collaborative projects. I think most importantly though, I did my best to tie together my multidisciplinary work into a cohesive narrative in itself.

My portfolio definitely doesn’t qualify for AP, but I hope that it can show some diversity in successful application formats.

Schools 

M.Arch I: Harvard, MIT, Cornell, Yale, UPenn, RISD, Columbia

MLA I: Harvard, UPenn

Results 

IN: Harvard M.Arch/MLA $$$$ w/ dean’s merit, RISD $$$, Cornell $-ish, Yale, UPenn M.Arch/MLA

TBD: MIT, Columbia, financial aid info from rest of schools.

MIT is honestly a wild card for me. They probably want me to go outside of the bubble and touch some grass LOL.

I know a lot of people are on waitlist for these schools, so I’m going to do my best to make a decision as quickly as I can. Although I’m leaning towards GSD, this decision is really tough.

Tips

I think in general, you should look at your overall application and make sure that everything seems cohesive. Be honest and thoughtful about your intentions.

If you are having trouble writing personal statements, I would suggest jotting notes and thoughts you want to include and diagramming things out to connect aligning thoughts. I found that this process really helped me plan the logic and flow of my writing since I get easily distracted.

I found tying together a story in my portfolio extremely important, so I really emphasized this in my table of contents by dividing projects based on broader themes. Chronological order is probably not the metric to organize a portfolio unless it makes absolute sense.

Also, when I looked back on my essays and portfolio, there are more typos than I’d like to admit, so don’t stress too much over these mistakes. As long as it doesn’t get in the way of understanding your work, it looks like it won’t break your application.

With regards to timeline, even if you have a full portfolio ready, make sure to start editing down the portfolio to each school’s constraints as early as you can especially if you’re applying to several schools with very different requirements. 

Mar 4, 22 1:57 am  · 
7  · 
sanahmengi

Congratulations for your acceptances

Mar 4, 22 5:09 am  · 
 · 
Sunshine101

Thank you :)

Mar 4, 22 2:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Sunshine101

I wanted to clarify that the dean's merit ($$) was awarded through GSD's Landscape Department. If I only accept the M.Arch offer, the merit award does not apply and need-based aid would cover about $$$ tuition. This is still pretty good imo, but I wanted to make that distinction. I definitely used landscape and ecology as a big narrative in all of my applications, so obviously this may not apply to most M.Arch I applicants.

Mar 4, 22 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

Has anyone heard from AA school of architecture or Uni Stuttgart's itech program yet?

Mar 4, 22 4:36 am  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

I got into AA’s DRL MArch Architecture and Urbanism course on 28th Feb

Mar 4, 22 5:10 am  · 
1  · 
sumedhgangurde

Fuck that's awesome. When had you applied? And where are you planning to g
o?

Mar 4, 22 8:12 am  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

I had applied back in January I guess and I’m accepting the admission for now. Not sure if I’ll go or not. My heart’s calling me to uMich for now. Have 11 other universities’ replies in waiting

Mar 4, 22 9:10 am  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

Oh okay i applied in December and my heart is here. Good luck for umich

Mar 4, 22 11:14 am  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

All the best to you

Mar 4, 22 11:32 am  · 
1  · 
greenbeans

Hi! I got the the admission for Itech program last week :)

Apr 2, 22 8:04 am  · 
 · 
youngearth

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is taking care, getting some rest, and celebrating during this stressful decision season. 

I applied for MLA I and MCP programs, coming from a background (BA 2019) in architecture, environmental studies, and urban studies. I just received acceptances and am so grateful. I am excited about all of the options, and was wondering if people could offer advice on negotiating financial aid. Berkeley is my top choice because of the people I'd like to work with, social orientation/more humanistic, and more radical scholarship across the university. Unfortunately they did not offer any aid :( I know they may be more cash-strapped than the other programs, but I've seen stories of people successfully negotiating aid packages on here. Does anyone have any advice?

Programs are:

UPenn (MLA/MCP $tbd), UC Berkeley MLA, GSD MLA $$ (dean's merit), MIT MCP $$$$+RA

Mar 4, 22 9:55 am  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

Hey did you apply for the UD Conc for UPenn MCP? I haven’t gotten a response yet, should I consider myself out?

Mar 4, 22 11:12 am  · 
 · 
sanahmengi

Also to help with your decision, first rule out if you want to move towards more research oriented courses or more design oriented things. That rules out the gap between MCP and MLA. Then you’ll have to figure out if you want to research after the masters or work in the field, that helps choosing between universities like UPenn and MIT.

Mar 4, 22 11:15 am  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

Hope this helps :)

Mar 4, 22 11:15 am  · 
 · 
youngearth

@sanahmengi thank you :) I did apply for the UD concentration at UPenn. The official notification date is March 10 and I'm not sure if they are sending additional acceptances then! Crossing my fingers for you! And for choosing, I ultimately would love to work across research/theory, policy/community organizing, and design. Makes it hard to choose! And I'm not sure if doing a dual program or focusing on one makes more sense. It feels harder to get the design foundation without doing the MLA, but maybe it could be possible to some extent with a UD concentration?

Mar 4, 22 2:10 pm  · 
1  · 
youngearth

When thinking about working in the field vs more towards academia/research, what do you think between the schools?

Mar 4, 22 2:12 pm  · 
1  · 
Sunshine101

I know this is super obscure, but there's a comment thread on page 3 of last year's forum (https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150225328/m-arch-fall-2021-application-status/100) by @Spritzerrrr on "How does one navigate scholarships". If you Ctrl+F that, you can probably find it. Hopefully this is helpful!

Mar 4, 22 2:24 pm  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

Hey @youngearth I think since you got into the UD concentration for the MCP program, I think I’m mostly out only. Also, a professor in the MCP department at USC told me that currently US is in great demand for landscape architecture along with urbanism, so you should definitely not leave design. MCP is more policy based as you can see. The UPenn MCP program is more policy oriented but with UD concentration, you do have a studio for UD. (5 credit worthy).

Mar 4, 22 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
sanahmengi

I think MIT is more academia based, whereas GSD is more towards the practical way (my opinion). Obviously all programs have their own research but this is my opinion. Secondly, UPenn’s program is a mix of both. You decide on your own where and which direction you wanna take

Mar 4, 22 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

This might not be a popular take or the right thread to mention this, but since the job market is SO hot right now, I would strongly advise postponing further education if you can and working in the meantime. 

Architecture jobs—particularly those in 2nd and 3rd tier cities (read: not NYC) are paying all-time highs. (These cities also usually have a much lower cost of living).

Taking advantage of this market to get more professional experience and hopefully save some money over time will be really advantageous for you long-term IMO.

With some savings and experience, timing the market to go back to school when there's a dip in the economy (or at least after you've ridden the high wave a little if the economy doesn't settle down) is the move.

Send me hate mail on twitter @michlschwrtz about this.

Mar 4, 22 11:46 am  · 
1  · 

Great question!

In my experience, a pre-professional degree in architecture is not viewed as any "less than" a professional degree in the eyes of most architecture firms. Since school and work are so divorced from each other (most the time), firms are typically training you in the skills and knowledge for real-world work regardless of which education level you enter the working profession.

At my firm, we had someone start after high school and he became one of our most technically proficient staff members (but he lacks the design thinking that school provides).

This is all to say, if you have a preprofessional degree in architecture, you are 100% capable and ready to work in a firm. And IMO this will make you better off in grad school and better off after grad school re-entering the workforce.

Hope that helps, my DMs on Twitter are open if I can help more!

Mar 4, 22 12:00 pm  · 
1  · 
dougy99

I’ve been accepted to arch programs from a computer science degree and no design background. Do you think there’s
any chance I’d be hired at an arch firm? I’m currently working as a business intelligence analyst.

Mar 4, 22 12:49 pm  · 
1  · 

dougy, honestly I think you might be ~better off~ haha. 

A LOT of firms right now are hiring design technologists and computer programmers/SEs as digitized practice, digital tools, computational design, etc become standard practice throughout the industry.

Take your background and skills AND express interest in architecture, and I think you have a really persuasive pitch to make to firms.

My DMs are open on twitter if you want to talk more! Don't underestimate yourself.

Mar 4, 22 1:19 pm  · 
1  · 
gjjar

I guess this advice is geared towards undergrads going straight into professional M.Arch I programs without much thought (in which case I would agree)? Nevertheless, its difficult to time the markets and know when the downturn is going to really take its toll on current building projects, future contracts, etc. As you said, we are already hitting all time highs and are just starting to enter tons of uncertainty, international crisis, coupled with ongoing supply chain disruptions and issues without any resolution in sight. Who is to say these issues won’t turn into an economic crash paralleling 2008 within the next year? Applying to graduate school in the middle of a crisis is also traditionally associated with very bloated application numbers, so earning a place at one of your top choices now could potentially be a wise move. Not to mention that preparing applications to graduate schools and being accepted generally does require a level of self-introspection to know if doing so aligns with your own professional and academic goals - and if the timing really is ideal for your own situation. So this advice is a bit FUD-inducing, over-general and provocative, but I understand the aim was to get a conversation going. Cheers!

Mar 4, 22 2:46 pm  · 
1  · 

The advice was pretty straight-forward and not meant to induce anything: don't go to school for architecture right now—especially the professional degree—when you could actually work in the field right now for top dollar. Frankly, firms are paying exorbitant amounts of money (industry relative lol) just to get bodies in seats.

Mar 4, 22 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
RemLamehaas

Anyone else think Princeton is coming out today?

Mar 4, 22 12:59 pm  · 
1  · 
MTTS

Yes, based on previous trends, today is the likely day.

Mar 4, 22 1:50 pm  · 
2  · 
Themothalex

Has anyone heard from them yet? Does having heard nothing by now mean rejection already? :((

Mar 4, 22 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
RemLamehaas

Have not heard from them. I don't think they have sent out any decisions yet. Otherwise, we would have seen it on gradcafe. Idk about that one MIT post.

Mar 5, 22 5:13 am  · 
 · 
frank2022

Looks like our prediction failed lol. Hopefully next week!

Mar 5, 22 6:21 am  · 
1  · 
MTTS

Failed indeed. I waited all Friday afternoon for it. I'm very skeptical about that one MIT post. MIt very behind their normal.

Mar 5, 22 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
I.M.Pain

@MTTS which post are you reffering to? The MArch one or the SmarchS one?

Mar 6, 22 10:44 am  · 
 · 
frank2022

I'm planning to write in to get an update if they don't come out by next Wednesday. Will let y'all know how it goes

Mar 6, 22 10:53 am  · 
 · 
RemLamehaas

I'm sure we will hear about both this week

Mar 6, 22 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

@I.M.Pain - I am referring to the MArch post

Mar 6, 22 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
sanahmengi

I don’t think they release any early decisions for SMArchS? Do they?

Mar 7, 22 12:29 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydWhy

Did anyone else get waitlisted at Princeton? Wondering what the odds of being accepted after waitlist are.

Mar 11, 22 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
ianfennimore

Heard from Sci Arc (M.Arch 2) and Pratt this week! Both a yes, and advanced standing @ Pratt. Good luck to everyone! Portfolio: https://issuu.com/ianarch/docs...

Mar 4, 22 5:23 pm  · 
2  · 
orangepeel23

very strong portfolio, well done.

Mar 7, 22 10:40 am  · 
1  · 
MiesVanDerWoah

Looks like Cornell and Penn already sent out admissions offers. For those of us who haven't heard anything yet is there any reason to be optimistic that there are still more to come? Give me some hope haha

Mar 4, 22 5:25 pm  · 
2  · 
KatherineP

Got into UofT's MLA, anyone else? I'm curious about the type of funding some are getting because I was expecting more. 

Mar 5, 22 11:04 am  · 
 · 
anhluu

I also got into UofT MLA with no funding :< I'm an international student thou so that might be the issue.

Mar 6, 22 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
anhluu

but definitely thinking of email them to talk about funding after I hear back from all the schools.

Mar 6, 22 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
KatherineP

Yeah I was surprised by how low, I'm a Canadian student though. Hope you can bargain if needs be. I don't know if I can do that either, it seems like that's more common with american schools vs canadian ones. I'm still waiting on other results too so maybe if I get better funding, I can try to use that as leverage to bargain.

Mar 7, 22 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
anhluu

Best of luck to both of us!

Mar 7, 22 10:42 pm  · 
1  · 
newmoon

Hey, congrats on your offer! Just wondering if you also applied M.Arch at UofT?

Mar 10, 22 5:47 pm  · 
1  · 
simon1024

Wondering if UofT M.Arch results are out yet?

Mar 10, 22 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
newmoon

I saw one post on gradcafe yesterday. I have a feeling we'll be hearing back any minute now!

Mar 11, 22 9:02 am  · 
2  · 
KatherineP

Sorry, I didn't apply to M.Arch...I was considering it but I realized I was more passionate about MLA. Best of luck to all of you, hope you hear back soon!

Mar 13, 22 3:16 am  · 
1  · 
newmoon

thanks! do you know anyone who's heard back from the m.arch program?

Mar 14, 22 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
KatherineP

Unfortunately not, even gradcafe is not showing much which is odd compared to the last few years??

Mar 16, 22 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
harderthanithought

B.Arch, 2022 expected graduate

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL

3.6 GPA , No GRE and No TOEFL

4 Letters, all from instructors I am close with and understand me well

Schools

U.Mich Advanced Standing (Top Choice), Cornell, Pratt, Columbia

I considered applying to Harvard but I didn't think my GPA was high enough. But on a second and third thought, maybe I should've tried anyways. 

Results

U.Mich: In + $

Cornell: In + $

Pratt: In + $

Columbia: TBA 

Tips

Start your portfolio early holy poop. I was stressed out towards end of December when I haven't finished updating my portfolio. Make sure you have a good, organized archive of previous works. Redo drawings and renders if you have to, I re done some of mine now that I am better at this. Not sure if relevant, but really do find rec letters from people who know you well.

Mar 5, 22 11:49 am  · 
 · 
harderthanithought

Would love to connect anyone accepted to u.mich, I am thinking about committing to it

Mar 5, 22 11:50 am  · 
2  · 
dougy99

Why U.Mich over Cornell or Pratt?

Mar 5, 22 12:39 pm  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

Even I’m thinking uMich. Got into Pratt, UIUC, UCLA, Berkeley, AA London, UMiami

Mar 5, 22 1:19 pm  · 
1  · 
harderthanithought

Sorry idk how to reply specific comments but @dougy99

I think it just comes down to personal preference. I think U.Mich program is stronger compared to Cornell and Pratt, and I just can't imagine myself living in Ithaca. 

Mar 5, 22 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
dougy99

Interesting. Could you elaborate? I got into Berkeley and UMich among others but was leaning towards Berkeley because of the cost and location. Would love to hear both of your perspectives. I come from a computer science background so far from architecture.

Mar 5, 22 10:13 pm  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

My perspective for this is the program, at first. The program at uMich is great, however so is Berkeley and UCLA. However I am also considering the program length. uMich is atleast 16 months, while UCB is 1 year. Work opportunities (on campus), tuition waivers are more in uMich. Faculty is great at both places however, being in uMich(as urban design students), we have more exposure of projects that Berkeley, so I’m inclined towards uMich. (Despite the cold, phew)

Mar 6, 22 8:19 am  · 
1  · 
hnate

I'm also in at the two year Umich arch program if you want to connect!

Mar 7, 22 11:00 am  · 
 · 
harderthanithought

gsapp in

Mar 13, 22 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
anaisziwei

Hi all,

i was offered a US$11,000/Semester tuition scholarship for 5 Semester with Pratt MArch (1st Professional). Is that a good scholarship amount?

Mar 6, 22 3:59 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

As far as the average funding for arch grad school goes, yes it is a good amount. However, the question is really whether it is good for you. Can you afford it without having to take on much or any loans? One way or the other the good thing is you can negotiate. If you have some significantly higher scholarship from another school you can use that as leverage, if not, ust let them know they are your top choice but the funding is too low and ask for more money.

Mar 6, 22 9:51 am  · 
 · 
RJ87

It's not the amount they give you that matters, it's the amount you still have to pay that matters. But like MTTS mentioned, good for negotiating.

Mar 7, 22 10:01 am  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

Anyone has any experience with AA school of architecture's waitlist? What's the timeline and probability of getting in?

Mar 6, 22 9:10 am  · 
 · 
parkkim

Has anyone else been waitlisted at MIT March? :(

Any accepted MIT March students looking to decline their offer?

Mar 7, 22 8:32 am  · 
1  · 
cmb15

When did you hear back from MIT? Still waiting…

Mar 7, 22 8:41 am  · 
 · 
parkkim

Today, morning...

Mar 7, 22 8:46 am  · 
2  · 
cmb15

Via a call or email?

Mar 7, 22 9:03 am  · 
 · 
parkkim

just email, with information about virtua l open house.

Mar 7, 22 9:16 am  · 
 · 
RemLamehaas

Did anyone get accepted yet?

Mar 7, 22 9:21 am  · 
 · 
leeeem

Waiting for just an y contact ,,,

Mar 7, 22 9:41 am  · 
3  · 
frank2022

I'm so sceptical about this post lol

Mar 7, 22 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

The post is true. I also received a waitlisted email this morning by email. I updated under my original schools list post.

Mar 7, 22 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
I.M.Pain

Have the SMarchS results come out?

Mar 7, 22 12:42 pm  · 
frank2022

@MTTS I see. It's just strange that no one on archinect or gradcafe has updated a successful admit to MIT's M.Arch yet. Based on past year's experience I'd expect news to break quite early, with admits notified first followed by the waitlisted hmm.

Mar 7, 22 1:01 pm  · 
1  · 
RemLamehaas

Yea, it's hard to imagine only one person related to the gradcafe/archinect communities got accepted at MIT M.Arch I. I know they only accept 30 people, but in previous years there were more than 1 single post on archinect.

Mar 7, 22 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

I know right! I'm really confused that I have not seen a single admit on Grad Cafe. However, one person on a previous post on this thread did say they received a call 2 weeks ago which I was skeptical of at first, but now I'm inclined to believe, but there should be more than 1 person. If they have a waitlist, it also means they have chosen their admits so It might just mean they are keeping their accepted list extra tight and expecting to draw from their waitlist or the acceptances are yet to come out, I expect the latter to be the case.

Mar 7, 22 1:27 pm  · 
3  · 
sanahmengi

@IMPAIN DM me I know a little about the SMArchS program

Mar 7, 22 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
c_b_97

I believe the SMArchS results have been decided already

Mar 8, 22 11:45 am  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

Yes they have. Just haven’t been released yet. The aid department is deciding on scholarships

Mar 8, 22 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
jacksonjackson1

Hey sanahmengi, do you know any admission info about March (3.5years) professional program at MIT this year? Thanks!

Mar 9, 22 6:05 am  · 
1  ·  1
rdbk

would be curious about everyone else who got into yale. pros and cons? seems like a big acceptance pool? does going to a school like yale help you in your career?

i'm coming from a studio art background so not very familiar with this world.

i got into yale, pratt with $$ and ccny still waiting on mit and gsapp.

Mar 7, 22 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
ttf1999

i have the same results as you so far. waiting on mit and gsapp. why do you think its a big acceptance pool? I've only seen like under 10 admits for the M Arch I here on archinect. from my understanding their class is about 50 students. speaking to students there, I have heard that its an incredible program especially for non-background students! cons would be larger class than mit and gsapp (although smaller than pratt) and living in new haven

Mar 7, 22 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
cmb15

I've only heard incredible things from current students, all with a variety of backgrounds. No clue about what the accepted pool looks like this year compared to last, but it's definitely my top choice as of right now. It has incredible facilities and good support for working across grad programs (i.e. school of the environment) and they are generally invested in both traditional and abstract understandings and representations of architecture.

Mar 7, 22 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
cmb15

And for the record, New Haven aint too bad

Mar 7, 22 6:53 pm  · 
1  · 
rdbk

Oh I don't know! Maybe it's just a self selecting pool on the forums? But I am very excited about the Yale acceptance, fingers crossed for the letter about money.

Mar 8, 22 9:51 am  · 
2  · 
hyunk

i got into GSD but didn’t get financial aid:( has anyone tried to negotiate? I am international

Mar 7, 22 6:35 pm  · 
1  · 
sabbyyuu

I was in the same boat last year and am in the same boat this year .. crying

Mar 10, 22 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

hi just an update, i negotiated and managed to get some but only $15k which is the maximum amount they've started they reserve for international students. no idea why I didn't get it the first time, but it seems like they have some reserved although they say they have 'limited funding'. I hope to increase the aid amount by decision day, but also not counting on it...

Mar 29, 22 6:00 am  · 
 · 
vonnegut

Hi, this is a year late, but I was wondering if you could share more about your experiences negotiating with GSD. I am also an international student and didn't get financial aid. it is my top school, but without any aid, it would be difficult for me to attend... Do you feel comfortable sharing how you negotiated? Thank you!

Mar 6, 23 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
lootiecht

What are y’all’s thoughts on Cornell Master of Architecture? Do any of you have classmates/friends that have attended here and have shared their input? 

I enjoy the program a lot but living in Ithaca makes me nervous about the job opportunities after and the lack of local connections. 

Mar 7, 22 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
thispersondoesnotexist

One thing I'd remind you of is the option to complete your final three semesters in NYC. From what I know a lot of their grads have plenty of opportunities there after graduating.

Mar 8, 22 12:03 am  · 
1  · 
dougy99

have people considered writing an unsolicited letter of continuing interest to schools you haven’t heard from yet or are on the waitlist for? I know this happens a lot for law applications, which my twin is going through at the moment. However, I can’t find many resources to indicate M.Arch applicants do this / it is recommended.

Mar 8, 22 11:35 am  · 
 · 
c_b_97

I tried that last week and the schools' replies were that they simply weren't done with the process lol - and they sounded pretty annoyed at having to reply my email 

Mar 8, 22 11:57 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

For the schools that you have not received any notice from, at the moment it is still too early. the best thing is to give them time, however if you have not received any communication by the end of next week, it would be fine to send an inquiry email (not a letter of interest). As far as waitlists, stay in touch (1 email), that will let them know you are interested. You can simply send some clarification questions about the waitlist and admittance (I'm sure you have questions), within which you can state that you are still interested. Your waitlist notification likely contained a statement like "Let us know if you have any questions." I know a person who did this with Columbia and was given an admittance after being waitlisted. Best of luck.

Mar 8, 22 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
dougy99

Great advice. Cheers.

Mar 8, 22 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
whydw

Hi everyone,

I am an international student. Got in to RICE March Option1(3.5years).

Would appreciate it if anyone had anything to share about RICE and the program!

Mar 8, 22 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

I visited 3 years ago. Rice has a program akin to Yale that is a good balance of Theory and practical. Unlike the north east coast schools like Harvard, MIT, RISD or others Rice is located in an ufortunate region so you don't get many of the well known faculty or lecturers, however they make up for it in that program still garners excellent educators that are impactful to the field, attractive study abroad opportunities and courses that allow you to engage the immediate context in design build projects. Rice also has the added bonus of having significant financial capabilities so you won't come out of school handicapped by debt. The school really is underrated for how well curated the program is and again that is just because of the location.

Mar 11, 22 8:05 am  · 
 · 
whydw

Thank you. I don't know much about Texas/Houston but read from other posts that the location does stop people choosing RICE. Would you mind explaining more on how different it would be in east coast academic circle and in Houston? I saw that rice invited Mexican architect to teach, which could be nice also.

Mar 11, 22 10:43 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

The difference is that most of the architects that are well known or in other words the most respected are mostly on the west coast or east cost. New York and Boston especially garner a large number of those firms and educators. The northeast is also quite a wealthy region and art and architecture is appreciated there in the way it isn't in the south or middle states in general. On top of that you have a cluster of the the top schools in the world both for architecture and otherwise within an hour or two from one another in the north east coast. So what that creates is a pocket of respected firms and educators being located there (they don't have to stop working to teach), so all schools in the area are able to draw from that pool for studio critics or for seminars and there isn't a lack. Especially at the top schools you will have Pritzker Prize winning architects or others who are no less respected teaching regularly or as faculty members. Speaking of the pritzker prize, the announcement is coming up in a few days and people like Jeannie Gang (GSD), Elizabith Diller (Princeton) and wildcards like Nader Tehrani (Cooper Union), all of whom have a decent chance of winning the prize this year are all located in the northeast, at these very schools. The thing to remember however is that being a well known or respected architect isn't the only criteria for being a good educator. Rice is regularly at the top of the rankings with good reasoning, even though most of the educators at rice aren't that well known. This of course doesn't keep Rice from inviting certain well known critics, but its just that they can't have a long or regular residence there because they have firms to run elsewhere.

Mar 11, 22 11:42 am  · 
 · 
ham17

For those who've heard back from UCLA, did anyone else receive an admissions recommendation letter?

After seeing the initial congratulations, I read:

"As Chair of UCLA Architecture and Urban Design, I am very pleased to inform you that we are recommending to UCLA’s Graduate Division that you be admitted to the Master of Architecture (M.Arch.) first professional degree program for Fall 2022. If approved, the Graduate Admissions Office will email you an official letter notifying you of your acceptance into the program". 

I'm obviously very happy to receive it, but at the same time a little anxious in the event I'm ultimately rejected. A few years ago my sister got a similar letter from UC Davis' school of engineering before eventually getting rejected. Just curious if anyone knows the odds/if this is normal.

Thoughts?

Mar 8, 22 4:26 pm  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

A few of my friends and I got it back in February. They said all students well receive the first letter usually make it and get the final letter.

Mar 8, 22 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
guyerme0316

BA in Linguistics, Minor in Studio Art from Dartmouth in 2013 (yes, it's been a while!)  - Applying to 3 year non-background programs

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL

3.83   -  168/168   -  N/A

• Letter of recommendations 

All three were from Dartmouth professors (two Linguistics, one Studio Art) with whom I was close and did research for/worked with

• Personal Essay/Statement 

I focused on my goal of improving low income and affordable housing options, influenced by the time I chose to stay home and raise my 5 small children over the past 8 years (as well as other personal/community service-based influences that led me to this path, plus the fact that I taught myself how to design/renovate/flip entire homes while staying at home).

• Portfolio

About half was my home flip renovations/designs I completed myself (work included) from digital render to finished room, and half was fine art (paintings/drawings) and furniture/woodworking

• Schools

Yale, Princeton, Georgia Tech, UIUC, University of Oregon

• Results

Out at Yale, in at Oregon (funding TBD), out at Georgia Tech, still waiting on Princeton and UIUC (which is strange....)

I am honestly slightly surprised that it was a hard no from Yale and Georgia Tech with how strong I felt my scores/GPA/application and portfolio were (not sure if it hurt me that I didn't have any actual architectural studios or experience included but I thought that was the point of the 3 year track).  I can't help but wonder if the 8 year gap in school/employment plus the fact that I am applying as a woman with small children was factored in in some way. There was no way to hide that in the application process!  Given my current results, I'm assuming it will also be no from Princeton, and I thought I saw that someone on this thread had heard from UIUC weeks ago so I can't imagine that's good for me either! At least I have one!

Mar 8, 22 8:08 pm  · 
1  · 
Notastarchitect

Honestly, I have noticed as someone who graduated in 2017 themselves it seems harder to land the fancy colleges while showcasing any professional work. It seems bizzare but I had about the same thing happen to me. I worked for hours on my SOP and portfolio and I was really proud of them only to be rejected by most of the top 5 colleges. I think because of waived GRE more kids fresh out of school of applying and they are preferred because of their advanced graphic skills and recent accademic connections.

Mar 8, 22 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Notastarchitect

By accademic connections I mean they were more recently in contact with their LOR people in an academic setting

Mar 8, 22 8:46 pm  · 
1  · 
RemLamehaas

Princeton is out

Mar 9, 22 12:19 pm  · 
2  · 
sanahmengi

Just saw Princeton is out too

Mar 9, 22 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
mnat99

Hey everyone I wanted to get some input about deciding on a school.

About me:

Econ Major at Vanderbilt with 3.5/4 gpa. GRE: 163q 158v

Portfolio was essentially just sketches I've done over the past year plus my project from GSAPP's intro to architecture program.

IN: Sci-arc ($$), Pratt, Michigan, UT Austin, Tulane ($$$ and a dual degree program with a masters in sustainable real estate)

Out: GSD, Yale, Princeton

Still waiting on Penn and GSAPP

Would love to get some feedback about the schools I've gotten in to. I really am interested in Sci-arc especially with the scholarship but have heard that employers find it to be a little "out there." Would UT Austin or Michigan be a safer bet? Or maybe Pratt

Mar 9, 22 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

take the cheapest.

Mar 9, 22 2:19 pm  · 
hnate

Sci-Arc is definitely a much more experimental/art school than a lot of other architecture schools, but it is still very respected and I don't think it'll put you at a disadvantage to find a job and would be great if you want to stay in SoCal post graduation. Pratt is also a little more on the art school side of things. It really comes down to which program you think matches up to you more. Michigan is a great program and Tulane is really getting good too so no bad options

Mar 9, 22 3:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Just remember folks, architecture school is not worth 6 figure debt.... and no-mater what the school promo department tells you, 30k+/year (or whatever fools these days are paying) is not an investment.

Mar 9, 22 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Michealreynolds77

have you heard from ut about scholarhip/ aid?

Mar 20, 22 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
mnat99

I just did over the weekend. was given 15k scholarship as out of state student. Hbu?

Apr 5, 22 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Michealreynolds77

Same - seems they were released at the same time!

Apr 5, 22 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Michealreynolds77

Which way are you leaning?

Apr 5, 22 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
mnat99

I'm deciding between Texas and SCI-Arc who gave me a bit more money but think i'm leaning Texas. Hbu?

Apr 6, 22 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Michealreynolds77

headed to texas but was between WashU and UT

Apr 6, 22 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
zikr

Hello! I wanted to share my experience so far since this forum has helped me keep peace of mind and has always been a useful resource. 

• Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 
  • B.A. Arch in US (M.Arch there is top 10 internationally), 2015
  • 2-year M.Arch in Europe, 2020
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
  • Both around 3.6
  • I requested letters from 3 professors in late October; only one got back to me in a timely manner, one even got back to me only a day before application deadlines but was happy to write a strong letter. It was stressful, but in the end I had four letters - B.A. studio professor, M.Arch theory professor, M.Arch studio professor with internationally-awarded design firm, and nationally-awarded arch firm partner where I worked the last few years part-time.
  • I connected my professional and academic experiences surrounding ecology and the built environment with my upbringing/heritage and a social mission, and listed specifically what I would seek from a post-grad degree, why the program is a great fit, and from which faculty I would seek mentorship/advising. I think it is advantageous to be very personal and provide a clear image of who you are, where you come from, what your goals are, what you have already done to accomplish them and how they could help you further them (as opposed to an academic piece of writing or manifesto, like I started with). 
  • Portfolio
  • I gave myself a month since I had an earlier version upon which to build, which was definitely not enough time. For Princeton and Yale, with their large page limits, I submitted very comprehensive portfolios including early conceptual projects: (M.Arch thesis with 12 spreads, 3 M.Arch projects with 2-3 spreads each, B.A. Thesis with 6 spreads, 3 B.A. projects with 2 spreads each, 2 spreads of independent research, 3 professional built projects with 2-3 spreads each). I filtered out the smaller spreads, down to 30 or 20 spreads as necessary. I think it is all about creating a specific narrative as one flips through the portfolio, linking it to your SOP and CV. 
  • Schools 
  • SCI Arc M.Arch 2
  • Yale M.Arch II
  • Pratt M.S.Arch
  • Princeton M.Arch 2
  • MIT SMarchS Architecture+Urbanism
  • Columbia M.S.AAD
  • Results 
  • IN - SCI Arc ($$$$, 95% funding) 
  • (call from director of admissions with FA offer on 2.23; official letter as email 3.03) They only gave until March 23rd to respond!
  • IN - Yale (??? funding) 
  • (email to check portal 2.25; chair of admissions email 3.03; FA offer email awaiting!)
  • IN - Pratt ($$, 60% funding) 
  • (email with letter and FA offer 3.01, POI email 03.04)
  • IN - Princeton ($$$, 67% - listed as max for program)
  • (Email to check portal, and email with log-in to see FA offer 03.09)
  • Tips
  • If your recommenders have time, send them WIP versions of your portfolio and statements and ask for feedback, especially if they have ever sat on admissions committees. Even two recommenders who immediately agreed to provide a letter still waited until a day before app deadlines, so it was important to involve them in the process and send updates.. But also don’t rush or hassle them if they do not engage much!
Mar 9, 22 3:20 pm  · 
2  · 
zikr

I’m really just waiting on MIT’s decision now. If accepted, it would be a tough choice between them, Princeton and Yale, though I have a sense of which program aligns best with my goals. I am however unsure which ones has the best academic and alumni network across the whole US and in Europe…. Princeton, perhaps??

Mar 9, 22 3:21 pm  · 
1  · 
I.M.Pain

Hey zikr! Have u gotten the phone call/email from MIT?

Mar 11, 22 8:30 am  · 
 · 
zikr

I haven't had any contact from them yet! 

Mar 11, 22 8:09 pm  · 
2  · 
fangl

Hi zikr, congrats and your tips and insights are so helpful! I am just very not sure what to do if I don't really have much connections with faculty members and do you think the recommendation letters weigh a lot when you are applying to all the places?

Mar 14, 22 3:52 am  · 
 · 
fizh

Hi zikr, wonder how you gonna decide between yale and princeton. or are you waiting till MIT's result? I'm also accepted to both schools and awaiting MIT (I applied for MArch I).

Mar 14, 22 5:14 am  · 
 · 
sanahmengi

Hi Zinr, did you get any email from MIT?

Mar 16, 22 2:44 am  · 
 · 
OMAf fAMO

Congrats on all of your acceptances! Have you heard back from Columbia GSAPP MSAAD yet?

Mar 16, 22 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
vicyvic

67% is not max for the program. i got offered 100% + stipend and they say that's maximum

Mar 17, 22 6:23 am  · 
1  · 
greengrasshopper

Yes I also got 100% plus stipend

Mar 17, 22 7:29 am  · 
 · 
zikr

UPDATE:
IN - Columbia M.S.AAD ($, 20% funding)
(email to check portal update, letter includes scholarship offer 03.16)

Still waiting on MIT…

@hollyl. One of my recommenders told me that he only glances at the LORs and statements when he’s on admissions committees and focuses primarily on portfolios, but knows that some colleagues really care to read the SOP and LORs thoroughly. I think there is an element of luck with who your reviewers are in this whole process…

@fizh I‘m still unsure and will maybe start reaching out to faculty to help clarify. Too bad that the open houses for PSoA and YSoA are on the same day and time. Were you planning to attend both?

@vicyvic + @greengrasshopper The acceptance letter has some text stating “this is the highest offer the SoA provides for students in your program and year.” Are you also in the post-professional M.arch II program?? Maybe I can ask for more then lol…

Mar 17, 22 12:27 pm  · 
1  · 
greengrasshopper

No I am in M.Arch I

Mar 17, 22 12:33 pm  · 
1  · 
fizh

@zikr i'm international applicant, not able to physically visit either one or them. I will join the YSoA's virtual open house. and i just got an email from PSoA that they will try reaching out those who can't join them. if i were you, i will go to PSoA that day since they are kind of "mysterious" (very limited information even in their instagram and facebook). every teacher from my bachelor's school says PSoA is very unique.

Mar 17, 22 9:41 pm  · 
1  · 
fizh

i think the PSoA gives more funding to MArch I than MArch II. that's why MArch I is 100%

Mar 17, 22 9:43 pm  · 
1  · 
fizh

hi zikr. wonder if you are attending princeton/yale's open house?

Apr 3, 22 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
RemLamehaas

Honest opinions requested: if we haven't heard back from MIT M.Arch I yet, does that mean we've been rejected? I don't want to be the fool that stays hopeful until the rejection notice at the end of the month.

Mar 9, 22 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

My honest opinion is that MIT is doing something weird with acceptances this year. I have only seen one person on Grad Cafe and potentially the same person on this thread say they have been accepted. 2 people, 1 of them being me have said we have received waitlist. So even though I'm confused, i'm going to lean toward keep the hope alive. 

Mar 9, 22 3:50 pm  · 
3  · 
MTTS

I have exciting but confusing news. If you look at the MArch admissions page for MIT it says "April 1, 2022: Application results released: April 15 decisions due." This is confusing because they already released the waitlist. 

Mar 10, 22 11:18 am  · 
1  · 
I.M.Pain

I think that just probably means April 1 is the latest date they'll release results

Mar 10, 22 11:20 am  · 
1  · 
FrankLloydWhy

Between MIT and Princeton - What are your guys' thoughts?

Mar 11, 22 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
RemLamehaas

I prefer the program at MIT, but the funding and campus at Princeton

Mar 12, 22 4:20 am  · 
 · 
lootiecht

I did not apply for the scholarship at the time of the application for GSAPP, does this mean *if* accepted, I will not be considered at all for funding? 

Mar 9, 22 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
harderthanithought

Asking for a friend

has anyone not yet heard back from Cornell and UCLA? (Cornell AAD and UCLA MS. AUD program). I received my decision from Cornell on the 1st, and a couple of my friends has yet to heard back Cornell or UCLA (I heard a lot of decisions came out in Feb).

And good luck everyone who applied to Princeton!

Mar 9, 22 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
gjjar

I haven't heard anything back from Cornell MS.AAD yet! I'm guessing they are staggering admissions and waiting to hear back from their first-choice, first round of acceptances before waitlisting/rejecting..? Or have people already been rejected?

Mar 9, 22 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
harderthanithought

I recall seeing some rejections on GradCafe, but the programs aren't listed in the decisions. Just trying to find more information for my friends

Mar 9, 22 5:30 pm  · 
2  · 
anaghaor

Has anyone heard back from TU Delft or AA yet?

Mar 10, 22 12:12 am  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

AA, a lot of people have been accepted. And TU Delft, my status shows I’m in the last stage

Mar 10, 22 1:59 am  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

yes i was accepted to AA last month!

Mar 10, 22 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Eatx

Has anyone heard from UCL Bartlett? I got an email early February requesting a portfolio and nothing since

Mar 10, 22 11:54 am  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

it usually takes them a few weeks to reply to ur portfolio (once you've uploaded it to issu.) dont worry! :)

Mar 10, 22 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
juliacheung1

Hey everyone!

I got in at Rice with a full scholarship and UPenn with none. It was my fault for not applying for one when I was doing my application. Will I be able to ask/apply for one now that I received an offer? 

Thank you!

Mar 10, 22 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
architecture?

So what's the deal with Cornell (MArch 1)? They sent out acceptance notices on the 1st and nothing else since then? Are they just dragging their feet on rejections at this point in case an unexpected number of people turn them down?

Mar 10, 22 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
newmoon

Has anyone heard from UofT? 

Mar 10, 22 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
song22

wondering if YSoA and Princeton will host in-person open house event soon before we are making final decision. Did anyone receive any open house information from them? It's always helpful to visit the school first before deciding!!!

Mar 10, 22 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
ZahaHadude

according to the email from the chair of admissions, yale is hosting an in-person open house on april 4th! there was a link in that same email to register for the event

Mar 10, 22 3:26 pm  · 
1  · 
zikr

Princeton lists their open house as April 4th as well, on their SoA website calendar at least... https://soa.princeton.edu/cont...

Does anyone know how feasible it is to try and go to the YSoA and this one on the same day? I guess it's only a 2.5hr car drive between...

Mar 10, 22 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
song22

Thanks for the information!!

Mar 10, 22 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydWhy

Do you have a preference between Yale SoA and Princeton? I'm waitlisted for Princeton :(

Mar 11, 22 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
zikr

Did anyone receive their financial aid offer from Yale SoA already? (supposedly an email from Andre Massiah "no later than Thursday, March 10")

Mar 10, 22 3:33 pm  · 
2  · 
nioma

Still waiting :’)

Mar 10, 22 4:05 pm  · 
2  · 
kd2022

yeah also anxiously still waiting

Mar 10, 22 4:11 pm  · 
2  · 
tml85923

Same here, still waiting :(

Mar 10, 22 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
cmb15

Just got mine. Does anyone have a sense of what is normal/what is their max offer?

Mar 10, 22 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 10, 22 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

Ditto, still waiting.......

Mar 10, 22 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
zikr

Just got it now too! For the sake of transparency, they offered about 60% of the tuition cost as a scholarship. That is in line with what I heard is normally offered.

Mar 10, 22 7:31 pm  · 
1  · 
cmb15

Gotcha, thanks for sharing. Fairly similar for me. And still leaves pretty daunting
amount.

Mar 10, 22 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

Just received mine. Also similar offer!! Hoped for more but alas appreciate this. GSD has offered absolutely nothing..! Is anyone considering taking out a loan/how will they supplement the rest of it? X

Mar 10, 22 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
HeptagonAgency

Congratulations everyone on your admittance and (hopefully) financial aid..! I’ve gotten a 40% aid from Yale and truthfully the remainder is still quite substantial. Does anyone know if the aid can be negotiated, and what would the likelihood be for a bump up to 60-70% instead for an international student ?

Mar 10, 22 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

Congrats!! It seems we all allowed our optimism loose and expected full fee waiver haha. I hope negotiation is a thing!

Mar 10, 22 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
cmb15

What is the best avenue for negotiating? Just reaching out to the fin aid office?

Mar 10, 22 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
tml85923

Also got mine and it’s about 60% of the tuition as well. Congrats to everyone!

Mar 10, 22 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
kd2022

got mine also its really good about 60%

Mar 10, 22 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
fizh

hi there. congrats to all! i've also heard from ysoa. 40% too. wonder how to negotiate. write to the dean? fa office?

Mar 10, 22 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

hi guys, any updates from anyone regarding negotiations about financial aid?

Mar 29, 22 6:02 am  · 
 · 
nioma

just got mine too!

Mar 10, 22 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
nioma

Whoops that was meant for the Yale SOA reply thread lol

Mar 10, 22 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

amazing! how is it? :)

Mar 10, 22 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
nioma

Not bad! Did you get yours yet?

Mar 10, 22 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

Aw I’m glad to hear!! not yet … need to go to sleep soon as I’m on british time

Mar 10, 22 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
greengrasshopper

Hello! I haven't heard anything from Yale in regards to financing... is anyone else still waiting?

Mar 11, 22 8:47 am  · 
 · 
frank2022

Did you submit your financial aid forms before the 1 Feb deadline? If not it’s best to check with Andre about it.

Mar 11, 22 11:15 am  · 
 · 
greengrasshopper

No I never submitted the forms. I'll reach out, thank you!

Mar 11, 22 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
c_b_97

@greengrasshopper yup think you gotta submit that

Mar 11, 22 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
parkkim

I want to hear many people's opinions about Upenn's MSD-AAD(advanced architectural design) program. 

Could you share your opinions?

Mar 11, 22 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
lootiecht

IN AT GSAPP!

Mar 11, 22 6:55 pm  · 
6  · 
newmoon

congrats!! wasn't expecting for them to get back so soon this year since they didn't release results until later in the month last year. did you get an email?

Mar 11, 22 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
lootiecht

i got an email with a portal status update

Mar 11, 22 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Zs1225

Anyone else got the email?

Mar 11, 22 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
greengrasshopper

Yes, I did too: accepted. And my friend (not on here) did as well

Mar 11, 22 8:24 pm  · 
2  · 
Zs1225

Will there be more offers coming out for GSAPP?

Mar 11, 22 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
dougy99

I hope so lol

Mar 11, 22 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Blobfish

Is receiving anything yet from GSAPP a red flag?

Mar 11, 22 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
rev.x

Congrats!! I’m in as well!

Mar 11, 22 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
lootiecht

I didn't get any funding... If anyone is in this same boat do you know if theres any ways to negotiate with GSAPP? I obviously would LOVE to go here its just so expensive...

Mar 11, 22 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
whydw

in at Gsapp march 3y with $

Mar 11, 22 7:35 pm  · 
1  · 
FrankLloydWhy

This forum helped me immensely over the past few years, so here's me paying it forward:

• Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

Undergrad B.ArchSc / Canadian Uni / 2022

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.4 - waived - waived

2 studio professors and 1 research supervisor. Some went to the schools I applied to. 

Wrote about my upbringing, my values, and my life experiences. I tied these together with some of my accomplishments and initiatives as an architecture student and how these experiences informed what I specifically care about in architecture as a discipline. I maintained the same general narrative for each application, but I varied the details and emphasized some things differently depending on the Uni, and mentioned some projects, resources, or faculty that interest me at each school.

• Portfolio

Varied in format, but in general: 3-4 studio projects, 1 competition, 2 design-build temporary installations 

• Schools 

- University of Toronto, M.Arch AP

- Columbia GSAPP, M.Arch I

- Princeton SoA, M.Arch I

- UPenn, M.Arch I

• Open house impressions 

All online, so... okay I guess. GSAPP definitely seemed the most engaged in various kinds of conversations and provided opportunities to meet and speak with many students and faculty. Princeton's was a little more reserved and formal. UPenn's was okay, I can't remember much. UofT I'm already familiar with, so I didn't attend.

• Results 

IN - UofT M.Arch AP ($?)

IN - Columbia GSAPP M.Arch $$$$ (Dean's Scholarship, full tuition)

WAITLIST - Princeton M.Arch 

OUT - UPenn M.Arch

• Tips

- Start your portfolio much earlier than you think, and make a plan! Have several people that you trust of varying backgrounds critique it. 

- Research the schools! Learn about the topics and ideas they push. Weave some of these ideas into your essay or portfolio if they genuinely align with your interests. Create sheets or docs to help you keep track of deadlines and your research.

- Start thinking about your essay much earlier than you think! Let your ideas marinate in your mind even if you're not working on it. Write down your ideas constantly, even if they sound terrible. Eventually, you'll start to bring your ideas together. Have trustworthy people both inside and outside of architecture critique your drafts, including your recommenders.

- Finally, as overstated as it may be, just be yourself! Focus on displaying the best version of YOU, all of you, through your portfolio, essays, CVs, and recommenders. Resources like Issuu and Archinect are great to start, but ultimately this is your application and your future. 

Mar 12, 22 12:20 am  · 
2  · 
mrcutout

congratulations! Good luck to your Princeton waitlist as well. Did you attend X University by any chance?

Mar 12, 22 12:55 am  · 
2  · 
jacksonjackson1

Congrats! Do you mind if I ask when did you receive the GSAPP march1 admission email/portal update? Thanks so much!

Mar 12, 22 1:48 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydWhy

Thanks! Yes, I just received it yesterday, March 11 in the evening.

Mar 12, 22 5:13 am  · 
1  · 
MTTS

I didn't even know Columbia gave full tuition, Congratulations!!! Do you feel like that makes up you mind now, or will you still be considering Princeton?

Mar 12, 22 7:42 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydWhy

@MTTS, Thank you! Honestly, I didn't know they did either!!! I was (and still am) completely shocked. I think this definitely makes up my mind. As much as I was keen on waiting for Princeton, GSAPP's offer makes me feel like this is where I belong.

Mar 12, 22 9:08 am  · 
1  · 
newmoon

hey, congrats on your offers! do you know of any one else who has been accepted to UofT?

Mar 12, 22 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
brisesoleil

has anyone heard from mcgill yet? (international applicant here)

Mar 12, 22 10:05 am  · 

Has anyone heard from UIUC or Carnegie Mellon? so anxious waiting for them...

Mar 12, 22 11:41 pm  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

CMU

Mar 13, 22 12:45 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for replying! Which program did you get? Was it CMU MArch??

Mar 13, 22 3:40 am  · 
 · 
jenishthakkar

@samahmengi - Did you receive a decision from CMU ?

Mar 13, 22 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 

@jenishthakkar I received an admission from CMU MArch with a little $...

Mar 13, 22 8:06 pm  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

Same, just got into the MUD program
at CMU. They’re just offering TA, no $ :/

Mar 13, 22 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
r.00
Hi! I got into Illinois Institute of Technology (with some funding) and Taubman. I’m an international student with no experience/background in architecture. Any suggestions on where to attend, what would be better in terms of job opportunities etc?
Mar 12, 22 11:52 pm  · 
1  · 
sanahmengi

Taubman any day

Mar 13, 22 12:45 am  · 
5  · 
sanahmengi

Guys, do you think SMArchS is gonna come out on Monday (3/14) pi day? Last year trends show it should come out on Monday. Last year it came out on 15th (as 14th was a Sunday) and last to last year it was sometime around this time. 

I’m so bummed :/ applied for the Urbanism track. What about you guys? 

Mar 13, 22 12:47 am  · 
 · 
r.00
Anyone heard from Cornell yet?
Mar 13, 22 3:44 am  · 
 · 
sanahmengi

Mar 13, 22 4:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: