Archinect
anchor

What is professionally better to do here? Additional interview request after accepting another job offer

anongarcia85

I'm a recent graduate and was job searching since February this year with little success for a while. After getting two job offers, one from a less well known, medium-sized corporate firm and one from a more well known large corporate firm, I took the latter. I've accepted the offer and filled out preliminary forms and I start in three weeks.

However, I just got an interview request for an internationally-renowned firm whose work I've been a fan of for a long time. It's another large corporate firm, so quite similar to the offer I took but they are, in my opinion, more design focused and receive more design awards. 

I think it's too late to reject the offer I've accepted? I feel it would be leaving on bad terms. But I am debating accepting an interview with the last firm to at least meet some leadership there and possibly be considered for future opportunities and get my name and face out there. Ultimately though, I would say I took another offer a couple days after the interview, since I feel it is too late to not follow through on the job I've accepted. 

Would taking the interview just to get my foot in the door and meet some leadership, only to say no a couple days after be unprofessional? I'm not sure if it would come across as wasting their time or if they would consider me for any future job opportunities should I apply again since they obviously liked my portfolio? Would it be better to not do the interview and let them know I'm interested in future opportunities but have taken a job? I ultimately want to work with them in the future but am not sure which option would come across better.

Sep 13, 21 2:55 pm
Kinsbergen

Ask to be compensated as per your hourly rate for the interview. It counts as work hours now, no?

Sep 13, 21 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Conduct yourself as a professional.

Sep 13, 21 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Way to be vague.

Sep 13, 21 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

This is written after a number of people have already responded. All of these comments make good points. The fact of the matter is imo it really doesn't matter which firm this person works for. They will be doing basically the same thing.

Sep 13, 21 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

I am not being judgmental or being nieve. Most companies get all of the loyalty they deserve.

Sep 13, 21 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Would I do this? No. Why? Karhama. I am retired now (mostly) and have been reflecting on things in general if I was younger my answer might be different.

Sep 13, 21 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

*karma*

Sep 13, 21 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Something to consider - with your experience in any large firm you're not going to be do much designing UNLESS that's why they have stated they're hiring you.  Almost certainly you won't be working on any award winning projects UNLESS you're a really outstanding candidate.  Finally, in any large firm you're not going to be meeting with the firm leaders that do the award winning design when you interview. 

All that being said, take the interview.  You're interviewing them as much as they are you.  You need to look out for your own professional development and happiness.  If that means backing out of the firm you accepted an offer from then do it.  Be aware that you'll probably never be able to work with that firm again though.  

Good luck. 

Sep 13, 21 3:11 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Practice, practice, practice. However, meeting your heroes, sheroes, or much admired firms, will usually leave you terribly disappointed. Tread with caution.

Sep 13, 21 3:24 pm  · 
3  · 

As someone who was once in a similar enough situation ... take the interview. You don't need to worry about telling the firm you've already accepted the offer from about it until the time comes where the other firm makes you an offer. A lot of stuff needs to happen between them offering you an interview and offering you a job. Chances are if you get an offer from the other firm, you'll have been working at the first for a few weeks to a month or more and can simply let them know that you don't think it's a good fit and leave. Know that they would have no issues doing the same to you if they decided you weren't a good fit after a few weeks.

There is virtually no downside to taking the interview. 

Worse case scenario is the firm that you accepted the offer from finds out and rescinds the offer, and then the second firm decides not to make you an offer. That's still fine because you could still go to the medium-sized firm who made you an offer and you can say you've reconsidered and want to know if their offer is still on the table. 

Sep 13, 21 4:29 pm  · 
2  · 
midlander

do the interview. there is nothing wrong with interviewing, receiving an offer, and then telling them you've already accepted another offer but thank them for the opportunity and keep in contact. no large office would have any problem with you doing that.

or even you just do the interview and tell them you have accepted another job but wanted to get to meet and learn about their office. totally fine, and it puts you in a much better position if 2-3 years later you decide to change jobs. the time spent on this is considered routine networking, and most experienced firm leaders are happy to meet this way.

but also, companies have no legal obligation to follow through with an offer. it's just a proposal until a contract is signed, and sometimes offers are revoked. my former office did this a few times when local managers would extend an offer, but a week or two later global HR would announce a hiring freeze due to some big project getting cancelled - and then the poor local managers would have to awkwardly tell recruits who accepted offers that those offers were in fact being withdrawn, through no fault of the recruit. the lesson: it's always useful to have a backup available.

Sep 13, 21 4:51 pm  · 
2  · 
square.

good advice here. i'll add that eventually, you will see yourself as valuable in this situation as the offer from the company, which is hard to do so close to being done with school. these are business decisions from both parties; you shouldn't feel any obligation to something that doesn't involve a contract. and there are only things to gain from expanding your opportunities at other places.

Sep 13, 21 5:01 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Do the interview. You can even accept the job if you get the new offer. But seriously, generally speaking, big starchitect offices are literally the worst place for entry level position. Repetitive mundane task, expected long hours, low salary. Bosses with huge ego and bad temper. You could work there for 2-3 years still only doing diagrams and renderings. Or bathrooms and stair details. Anyway, I will let reality teach you the lesson.

Sep 13, 21 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Definitely take the interview so you can learn more about the firm whose work you admire.  Firms that do nice projects aren't always well run in terms of time management and HR, so they may or may not be a good working environment for the staff.

More information will help you plan your future moves.

Sep 18, 21 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

My job offers usually also come in two's, sometimes more...and I usually pick the wrong offer and regret it and the entire cycle repeats itself,,,so don't take my advice, word!

Sep 18, 21 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But not taking your advice on taking your advice is still taking your advice!

Sep 18, 21 4:51 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

I advice against that!

Sep 19, 21 7:34 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Take the interview. If they make you an offer, you can decide then whether to accept the offer or stick with the first firm - there is no decision to be made until then.

Sep 20, 21 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: