Archinect
anchor

NY State Continuing Education

VettNYC7575

Greetings All.  Do online free AIA-approved HSW/LU CE classes count towards the 36 hours required every 3 years by the NY state professions office?  

NY State guidelines say all classes must have a LIVE teacher, however, nobody actually needs the classes in order to renew their professional license. The state just reviews people randomly to be sure they have completed their CE classes. 

Any help is appreciated.  I do not want to waste my time doing a lot of study work if I need to have live classes only. Thank you!

Aug 19, 21 6:27 pm

Not needing to submit the actual courses to the board is fairly normal. Most boards enforce it through random audits as well. 

This should be all the help you need: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/a...

NYS requires that half of your credits come from "courses of learning" which will have live instruction where there is "the opportunity for immediate interaction with an instructor/presenter," (see question 14 in the link above).

For the other half of your credits you can continue doing "courses of learning" or a combination of other allowed "educational activities." Self-study programs without live instruction are acceptable "educational activities" if they meet the requirements outlined in the link above.

Aug 19, 21 6:41 pm  · 
1  · 
VettNYC7575

Thank you & really appreciate your comment.  Thankfully, I can do 18 credits in the comfort of my own home.  Maybe AIA has live ZOOM presentations that are courses of learning for the other 18 class credits.  Peace & happy trails.

Aug 20, 21 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

TBH, you can probably do all the hours from the comfort of your home. Online webinars should be fine as long as they are live and you can ask questions. I’ve got invitations to probably about a dozen being offered by various manufacturers and industry groups in my inbox in the past two months. 

Aug 21, 21 11:00 am  · 
1  · 
VettNYC7575

Perfect. I was just going to ask the question.  I was previously an AIA member and received many invites.  Need to find a source going forward.  Anyone having a live webinar links source, please forward. Thank you! 

Aug 21, 21 11:15 am  · 
 · 
VettNYC7575

Found it: Live AIA free classes

Aug 21, 21 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: