Archinect
anchor

Is the title of an Architect legally protected in Japan?

Eren_123

If so, how would a licensed Architect from the EU become licensed in Japan and work there? I can’t find anything on the internet talking about this

Aug 8, 21 2:49 pm
Non Sequitur

Google broken today?

https://www.aiajapan.org/resources-

Bottom of page.  And yes, it's protected does not appear to be easy. Which is a good thing.

Aug 8, 21 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

American Institute of Architects... Japan. Something about that seems wrong.

Aug 8, 21 4:25 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Damn. Only roughly 10% pass rate. But you can eventually get licensed with no formal education.

Aug 8, 21 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I’m sure Rick can fill you in on the requirements...

Aug 8, 21 4:07 pm  · 
3  · 
rcz1001

Technically, yes but it's the japanese word for architect that is regulated and there is licensure in Japan. Years ago, I read about the Japanese architectural licensing and its multi-tier licensing from what I remember.

Aug 8, 21 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Do you speak Japanese? Good lick getting a job as a foreign architect in Japan, ifs extremely difficult as well due to the work culture according my my Kate's who work there.

Aug 9, 21 3:44 am  · 
 · 

it became harder about 15-20 years ago. It is possible to do a simplified version of the exam, so you don't need to take the entire exam, and even to answer questions in English and have them translated officially. Or it was possible to do that anyway, relatively recently. I am not sure if that is still the case. Things may have changed.

A few years ago they changed the regulations to be stricter, requiring more years of experience after passing exams and then requiring another exam to be able to stamp drawings properly on your own.

I would contact the JIA, but for background on how it used to work in terms of process was that you could apply for reciprocity if you had 10 years experience, all documented. After some paperwork JIA would confirm your eligibility to take the exams. Instead of doing all the parts though you would be exempt from all but 2 parts, which simplified things quite a bit.

The thing is, if you dont speak japanese and dont have experience in Japan it will not be easy to answer the questions. The building code is similar but different in important ways, and so is much of the contract law, compared to Europe. Once you have your license you will not be doing any work in English in any case, so it is kind of a moot point. If you can speak Japanese then it is easier. Still hard, but easier. 

Aug 9, 21 4:50 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Thank you for chiming in, I was hoping you would.

Aug 9, 21 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

as far as contacting the JIA btw, I would do so in Japanese. Japan is not a bilingual country.

Aug 9, 21 4:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Miyadaiku

I thought I had posted this but I think it didn't end up posting...

Anyway this is a little late but I happened to have recently gone through the process of getting licensed in Japan via reciprocity (from the USA, specifically) and yes as you said there is little information on this to help you even if you google it so I thought I would elaborate the process a bit.

First, as mentioned before, you need to know Japanese both to take the registration exam(they'll make you take it. It's in Japanese. You can bring a pocket dictionary.....but that doesn't do you any good if you can't already read Japanese. There is no English version) and to work with Japanese people(they don't generally speak English). Here's the Japanese Building Code https://elaws.e-gov.go.jp/document?lawid=325AC0000000201 Be prepared to be able to read at this level, literally.

You need to be licensed in your home country as well. You'll need to submit proof of licensure, details on how licensing is done in your country, the level at which you are allowed to practice with said license, your employment history(verified with letters by the employers), college transcripts, examples of past work(they want to see some CDs), and a short blurb on what you plan to do if licensed in Japan. All this needs to be translated into Japanese. I ended up being about 100 pgs of stuff.....

The license is tiered into 1st class(no restrictions), 2nd class(restricted up to 13m high and 3000m square area) and....Wood class(wood only up to 300m square area). You can take any of them without getting the other ones first.

You apply for 1st class with the Minister of Land and Infrastructure in Tokyo in April and take an exam in July. The exam has 5 sections of multiple choice on Planning, Environmental Controls, Building Law, Structures, and Means and Methods. Then there is a practical design/drawing exam if you pass that. It's freakin' hard(10% pass rate) but not impossible. Depending on what you submit, you MAY be exempted from some sections. I didn't have to do the drawing exam because I guess they liked the CDs I showed them....

You apply for the 2nd or Wood class with the Prefectural Building dept. Same timeline, similar exam. The 2nd class test is also freakin' hard(20% pass rate) but not impossible. The Wood class......is pretty easy, honestly, but you may as well go at least 2nd class. 300m? c'mon man...

Here are the respective exams http://www.jaeic.or.jp/shiken/index.html

When you pass(don't give up, you can do it!) you'll get a fancy letter from either the Minister of Land and Infrastructure or the Governor ordering for the dept to issue you a license and after submitting that, viola! They will follow the order and you get registered!

If you didn't go to college here or don't have direct practical experience working in Japan, you will not be eligible to sit on the exam without the prior experience and licensure in your home country, so if you wanna pursue this, do that first and just learn Japanese in the meantime.

Japan's cool, go for it!

Apr 18, 22 2:26 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: