Archinect
anchor

I love architecture but I hate being an architect - is it worth sticking with the profession?

pandahut

I've always told someone that the only thing to look forward to in arch is pointing towards a building and proclaiming I worked on that. Until I realized that we are just building needless shit (that will be torn down before 75 years of its existence), harming the environment, that most people give fuck all that we built a building and it only serves our ego in the end, reinforcing most architects ARE in the field to stroke their own. 

Now, I just go outside as often as I can and enjoy the non built environment because I find solace in desolate areas not ravaged by human touch. Architecture is a JOB to me now, not a HOBBY. 9-5 and get the fuck out and on with my life. 

Jul 10, 23 11:33 am  · 
5  · 
square.

spoken like a wise person.

Jul 10, 23 11:39 am  · 
1  · 
  • I'll see building's I've designed and think - dang I could of done things better. 
  •  Other buildings I've designed I'll see and think - this really did help the community. 
  •  I've never seen a building I've designed and though - what a nice building. 
  •  I've never pointed out a building that I've designed to another person. 
  • If asked about a building I've designed I say I was part of the team that designed it. 
  •  I've never designed a building that only serves my ego.  I have designed buildings that serve my clients ego though.  
Jul 10, 23 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
s2smooth

I'm in the same boat. I like the idea of architecture but hate it at the same time. I need to get out before it really starts to eat away at me but I have no idea what I should pivot my career too.

Jul 10, 23 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

What exactly did you think you would be doing on a daily basis at work? And how is that different from what you are doing daily at work?

Jul 10, 23 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
s2smooth

I've been in the field for 15 years now and I'm just tired of the profession. Some days are enjoyable others are misserable but that can happen with any job.

Jul 10, 23 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

A joke with a twist;

A man goes to see a guru, asks: Guru, were is success?

and the guru points to a road, the man starts walking and 5 minutes later 3 thugs come out and beat him and steal all his possessions.

The man goes back to the guru, asks what's wrong and the guru again points at the road.

Same thing happens 5 minute after, beating and robbery.

Again to the guru, now more angry; Where is success?.

And the guru says "Over there, in that path, after the beatings"

Jul 10, 23 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Typically, experiencing some adversity is part of being successful at _________. That doesn't mean you need to experience exploitation, or any of the "isms" though.  This includes literal or metaphorical beatings.  

Jul 10, 23 5:30 pm  · 
3  · 
G4tor

Anything that is a "profession" will have its share of ups and downs. Even if you switch to another profession, it'll still be the same thing... I've learned from a young age that "hobbies" and "jobs" carry different burdens even though you can be doing the same task.

Jul 11, 23 2:29 am  · 
2  ·  1

For a year I converted my hobby of model building and painting into a side gig. It took all the fun and enjoyment out of it. It wasn't because of the hours. It was now it was something I had to do instead of wanted to.

Jul 11, 23 10:08 am  · 
 · 
pandahut

Please read the book the alchemist. Only book I've ever read in one sitting without putting it down. As Scott Jurek said "this is what you came here for".

Jul 11, 23 10:09 am  · 
 · 

This is an interesting topic.  One thing I think has been overlooked is the concept of self worth.  Hear me out . . .

We take pride in our work as architects / designers.  Some of us base our entire self worth on our work.  I don't think that's healthy.  I've always tried to base my self worth or happyness on a collection of things.  In no order of importance these categories for me are:

• creativity
  • personal relationships
  • romantic relationship
  • physical fitness / health
  • outdoor pursuits 

Obviously these are rather broad categories.  Creativity for example could be linked to work, artistic pursuits, building a shed, ect.  

The idea is that I need at least three of these categories to be fulfilled in order for me to maintain my happiness.  If I get below that I don't feel fulfilled and tend to be unhappy.  Maybe we need to stop trying to find fulfillment only from our work?  

Just a thought.  Enough of this self evaluation, I have to get back to researching historic building requirements and related building codes.  ::uhg::

Jul 11, 23 10:24 am  · 
1  · 
joseffischer

historic building code reviews are great, soooooo many exceptions!

Jul 11, 23 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
s2smooth

To be clear work is not my fullfillment...I dont care if I move up or get promoted. @Chad Miller...100% agree on this. I'm extremly happy on the items you listed. With work I guess you could say I live for the weekends.

Jul 11, 23 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: