Archinect
anchor

In Search of Mentor in Japanese Minimalist Design

MPJohnston85

I am an architectural designer in the US, nearly licenced, with 7 years of professional experience in small commercial, high-end residential, higher education, and planning.

I have always been very interested in Japanese minimalism and design, as well as a lot of other aspects of Japanese culture. 

I have found my current employment lacking in attention to design, with more of a focus on utilitarian pragmatism and budget-driven projects. I would love to find a mentor to truly learn the art of minimalist design and all that it entails. I've even considered relocating to Japan to fully take it in and understand the craft.

Would anyone out there be open to a relationship like this? 

Apr 23, 21 4:51 pm
x-jla

I think you’re supposed to wait here for as long as it takes for the master to invite you in

Apr 23, 21 10:12 pm  · 
6  · 
MPJohnston85

Haha well played.

Apr 25, 21 9:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Learn the art of Japanese minimalist design? What does that mean. Design is just a preference. One of the most important things I learned in Arch school is to lift yourself from those existing paradigms in order to search for something above. Design is a choice made based on various factors such as history, context, vernacular techniques, culture preferences, etc. All of those style terms or isms are just made to give design feature a label for easy identification. I want you to explain to me what is different between Japanese minimalist, Western minimalist and vernacular western utilitarian construction. I hope you are not thinking that Tatami floor, wood and paper wall giving the Japanese minimalism the distinct look is the kind of "design style" that one should pursuit in western to be considered high design. Japanese do not wear shoes in house. Japanese has no bed, they lay the sheets onto tatami during night because their land is very scarce, their house is in small footprint. The light wood and paper walls are because of seismic. There are a lot of cultural and practical aspects in it. I hope you are not thinking about just duplicating one and think that is a cool high design.

Also Minimalism is way in the past. Less is more becomes less is bore.

Apr 25, 21 8:51 pm  · 

Shut up you arrogant jerk.

Apr 26, 21 12:13 pm  · 
1  · 
MPJohnston85

No worries, Chad. We can all agree to disagree!

Apr 26, 21 12:48 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

You got it wrong OP. I do not agree nor disagree with your Minimalism. I have no preference over any design styles. I do not limit myself to any specific principles. I may believe in context in this project and ditch it in next. I may choose to incorporate history in this project or totally ignore it in next. I may do a box in this project and do a complex curve in next. No one knows what the best architecture is. You just do what you like.

Apr 26, 21 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Jay - I think you'll find that most projects have constraints beyond the architects control.  How an architect responds to these constraints shows the skill of the architect.  

Few if any architects 'just do what you want'.  

Apr 26, 21 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Chad- Constraints may exist on practice. I am sure OP is more concerned in exploration of design and ideas because he is tired of utilitarian projects. Pure exploration of academic architecture should not be limited to such constraints. You may have to reduce your budget and limit yourself with certain design options because you have a poor client. You may have a client with preferences. But even with all the limits, there are many approaches even to the same condition, just like in a studio project. You may like or dislike the approach. And the "skill" you think is just the value you impose based on your existing value and paradigm. Just like how you do not believe in spending big $$ on form making like Gehry. Thinking it is a waste and lack of real skill. It is just your value of designer's "poor skill".

Apr 27, 21 9:45 am  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Chad - don't ruin people's mood with the mention of real projects. A $1B development high rise may just be an utilitarian box with teams of architects. The stair detail alone takes months. Whole project takes years. There may be one or more architect's full time job just to be onsite to observe the GC's work and coordinate things. The stupid public school jobs I do, don't even let me shift away from using VCT floors. The "design" of the new school was done in a week. Basically box layout of listed programs on urban infill site. Even if you go creative, you will get rejected immediately. The client is more interested in lowering architect's fees and build the project fast. The reality sucks balls, but that does not mean one should stop the exploration of architecture design beyond the norm and cave in. You may bend your value to think your work is fantastic even with those limits. Guys like Gehry are just lucky to have rich clients. Perhaps it is true, perhaps not. No one knows the road to architecture success and stardom. 

Apr 27, 21 10:12 am  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

When viewing architecture and design, there is definitely two distinct lenses between practice and academic. For example, a modern residential design like the modern minimalist listed by OP. If viewed through the Lenses of practice. The design is fantastic, of course in comparison to the 2x4 vinyl sticks spec builds 99% of us in U.S. are living in. But in the lenses of academic, Modernism and minimalist are something from last century. Such design won't be considered avant garde in the field. Not even Gehry is considered avant garde now. The environment has shifted again. Into sustainability and performance I think. I don't know. If I know, you would see me on the cover of the magazine and not here.

Apr 27, 21 10:43 am  · 
1  · 

I don't think the OP was discussing academic architecture.

I agree with you about academic vs built designs.  I don't agree with you that there aren't external influences on a building design that the architect can't control.  Even in academic projects these influences exist.  

Apr 27, 21 11:47 am  · 
1  · 
MPJohnston85

You are right, Jay, I am indeed tired of blasé utilitarian architecture. You are also correct, Chad, I was not discussing academic architecture. I am striving to position myself in a more desirable position in the field of architecture. Similar to as you mentioned, I believe there are two main types of architects, ones who are more technical and detail-oriented and ones who are more aesthetically and artistically oriented. I pretty well fall into the second camp, and currently, work within an office that is nearly completely in the former. Yes there are combinations and yes both are generally necessary for good design to exist, I just want a better balance in my life. That is my preference.

Apr 27, 21 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

I can relate. I'm in the aesthetically orientated camp. I've been fortunate to learn the technical aspect from others throughout my career. It's a benefit to reside in both camps.

Apr 27, 21 2:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Chad, you haven't seen enough academic work yet. Even gravity can be defied in that world. Wish I can find you some of the winning design competition entries I saw. 

As for OP's desire, it is just the market and reality. Someone has to do the door schedule and stair details. Not all clients are rich. You can work in big firms or starchitect's office for those more creative projects. But it is competitive to get in and prepare to overwork. Some times I really envy the half professor half practice successful architects. Use studios to test theories, then build it in their own practice firm.

Apr 27, 21 4:39 pm  · 
1  · 

Jay - I've seen academic work for the past 23 years. Not many defy gravity. They may push the limits of what is possible but that is just fine. 

Your comments about having to work in big firms to get creative projects shows a general lack of experience.  

Apr 27, 21 5:58 pm  · 
1  · 

Jay - Here are just a few areas where you can design things wrong that all dramatically impact the buildings overall aesthetic 

Egress

Fire Protection

Energy Code

Structural Design

Deflection

Control Joints

Accessibility

Circulation

Programming

Surface Storm water Flow

Regardless of how great your buildings aesthetic is if it's not functional then it's designed wrong. 

Apr 27, 21 6:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

LOL, I know you are trying to backup miles. But please stop bringing technical/regulation requirements into the discussion of architecture design philosophies like miles. You could even say If you design your structures wrong, your building could collapse and kill people. Duh, stupid argument. Stop shifting my original architecture design philosophies argument into technical requirements.

Apr 27, 21 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"Design is just a preference."

Nice of you to admit you have no idea what design is right out in the open.

Apr 27, 21 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

Oh Jay, try harder little troll. Try harder.

Apr 27, 21 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

That is what you think design is. Not what I think design is. Just like some people think following code minimum is design. Or some people pick some floor and wall finishes think it is design. Whatever you think dude.

Apr 27, 21 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Try harder little troll.

Apr 27, 21 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

LOL

· 

Oh you're not trolling? That's too bad . . .

Apr 27, 21 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
MPJohnston85

Jay,

Thanks for the detailed response. You're absolutely correct, any sort of design style is merely preference. 99% of designs produced by an architect or designer is some amalgamation of all of the random design influences we have been exposed to throughout our lives. I think it is reasonable for someone to focus on a certain style or area of interest, right?

As far as the difference between Japanese minimalist, Western minimalist, and vernacular western utilitarian construction - Japanese Minimalism, is rooted in Japanese traditions and philosophy, namely the concept of "ma", empty space, nothingness, and Wabi-Sabi, the quality of simple and plain objects... While this isn't a uniquely Japanese idea, eastern cultures have held these principles long before they were introduced to western civilization. Western Minimalism, in my understanding, is largely derivative from Eastern minimalism... so why study the shadow when I can study the source? As far as Western Utilitarian Construction construction, I am not sure I fully understand that being any different from western culture's interpretation of Eastern Minimalism. 

I am of the understanding that the pendulum of design aesthetics is swinging toward maximalism and "less is a bore" now, but largely unmerited and unbacked by any true meaning. "More is more because it is more." The simplicity found in minimalist design is pure and simple, borderline sacred. It leaves room for the mind and soul to breathe...

But again, as you stated, this is just my preference! 

Thanks again for the thoughts!

Apr 26, 21 10:09 am  · 
 · 

Design is not "merely preference" unless you are a fasion designer.

Apr 26, 21 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
MPJohnston85

I guess that was a bit flippant. I reckon it would have been better to say, "Design is largely based on the influence and preference of the designer." While I understand design (at least good design) should hinge on the unique factors of the site, client, program, etc... the design itself is a synthesis of the designer's interpretation of all of the above. I think the designer's preference also is the main influence on the aesthetics of the project in the end. I hope that clarifies my statement a bit.

Apr 26, 21 2:51 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Of course design is a preference. That is why there is no right or wrong in design. Every decision is your choice. From structure, construction, to form, to material, to spatial organization, to whatever. You may think your design is the god given masterpiece backed by the golden rule of design principles you believe like a bible. But it may just be a piece of shit to other people. The only way for it to get recognized, is if there is enough collective forces behind it to make such design a distinctive movement. Even then, different styles and isms come and go. And honestly, if your design already has a name for it. You are already behind in terms of academic architecture. Just like OP prefers minimalism, he probably dislikes Gehry/ Zaha's work. That does not mean Gehry/Zaha's work is bad. 

Seriously, counter with something solid. The discussion just reminds me of how that arrogant Chad and some others got trolled by hobbyarchitect. Hobby Posted starchitect's plan and he went in and criticized and sketched new plans. Only to get burned. 

Anyway, I just hope OP is not trying to simply mimic the marketed "Japanese minimalism" in a western setting. If you lose those distinctive Japanese construction techniques, materials and replace with western stud sheetrock wall. You got your Western minimalism. But having tatami floor and Paper/wood sliding horizontal doors and wall is simply inappropriate in western setting. Of course you could do it, just like how rich Chinese likes to build Big western Royal Palace style houses to make them feel like kings.

Apr 26, 21 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Actually Jay hobby asked for our opinion on her graphics and the floor plan layout. I provided feedback on her graphics and showed her what I thought could be done to the plan. As you say design is a preference.  I didn't personally like the layout. 

Just because the design was from a 'famous' architect doesn't mean I'll like their work. 

Apr 26, 21 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

Jay - I think you'll find that most architecture has exterior limiting factors placed upon the design that are out of the architects control.  How an architect responds to these constraints are what make someone a good architect.  

Apr 26, 21 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

"there is no right or wrong in design" 

There is no right and wrong in fashion design. There is plenty of right and wrong in design.

Apr 26, 21 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
apkouv

And how would you know this Miles since you have never been an architect?

Apr 27, 21 8:31 am  · 
Volunteer

Neither was Frank Lloyd Wright.

Apr 27, 21 8:36 am  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Miles, why not give a few solid examples on what is wrong with certain architecture design? Back it up with your explanation's. I am pretty sure the ""wrong" you have is just your opinion based on your values. Just like some people's hate on Gehry.

Apr 27, 21 9:49 am  · 
 · 

apkouv - you've never been an architect either so . . .

Apr 27, 21 11:50 am  · 
2  · 

@Jay1122 you are absolutely clueless. Grenfell Tower, Hancock Tower, Aon Center (Standard Oil Building), Ray and Maria Stata Center, Pruitt-Igoe, Disney Concert Hall, Library Gardens in Berkeley, Hyatt Regency Kansas City, Kemper Arena ... and I'm barely scratching the surface.

Apr 27, 21 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
MPJohnston85

I think we can put away the tape measures, fellas. Letters next to your name make you no better a designer than the next person.

Apr 27, 21 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

MP - sorry about the drama. Jay has a tendency to speak beyond his experience here and doesn't take criticism well. A lot of users are not very patient with him anymore.

We have no idea why apkouv has such a hate boner for Miles.  

Back to your original discussion.  

Apr 27, 21 1:15 pm  · 
1  · 

Penis envy.

Apr 27, 21 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
MPJohnston85

Aw man. There was a whole other part to that response but I must've missed hitting 'submit'... oh well. Just know that it was really good and responded adequately to everyone's comments.

Apr 27, 21 1:30 pm  · 
2  · 

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Apr 27, 21 4:03 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

LOL miles, I knew Gehry is gonna be on your list. Seriously? why be so predictable. LMAO

And are you referring to code on your link? OMG I knew egocentric Americans will think U.S. = world. You do know code is just safety measures and not design right? There are many developing countries that do not follow U.S. codes. Are their buildings not architecture?

Apr 27, 21 4:42 pm  · 
Jay1122

And what about buildings built before those codes were enforced? Are they all trash and wrong? I bet there will be more strict future codes, does that mean our current building designs are wrong? Man, that is what you came up with to counter my points? I am disappointed.

Apr 27, 21 4:54 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

Miles... ^ this is why I limit interaction with current students.

Apr 27, 21 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

Jay1122 is a textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Apr 27, 21 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Ha, jokes on you NS. Just passed all my ARE exams without fail in 5 months and waiting for my license now. Seniority and experience may help with technical stuff, but not architecture philosophy. I welcome opposite design philosophies in architecture. Like a good quote from the Archdaily interview series I read, "Architecture is a form of debate". I am seriously disappointed by mile's answers. Simply childish denial without solid backup. Writes nothing solid but one sentence offensive language. Pure objection of projects simply because of personal dislike. Funny thing is, Gehry is the one walking around with the Pritzker. Anyway, I am out. I doubt he can come up with anything solid except one sentence offensive languages.

Apr 27, 21 5:24 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

Well, the quality of your responses sure fooled me. BTW, seniority helps with everything, especially design philosophy.

Apr 27, 21 5:30 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Whatever, typical shallow minded people that thinks anyone not following your same idealism is wrong.

Apr 27, 21 5:34 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

pot...something...kettle...black.

Apr 27, 21 5:37 pm  · 
1  · 

@Jay1122 Did you even look at the projects I listed? 72 people were killed in the Grenfell Tower fire, which was the result of bad design decisions.

Every project cited is a failure because of bad design, not "pure objection of projects simply because you don't like it". Meanwhile you hypocritically object to the projects cited based on styles that you like.

Ignoring health, safety, and building performance (the principle concerns of architecture) - in favor stylistic exercises is the very definition of ignorance. The idea that someone as utterly clueless as yourself could become a licensed architect is an indication that bad design is here to stay. Hopefully you won't kill anyone with your stupidity.

Apr 27, 21 5:45 pm  · 
1  · 

Jay - congrats on passing your ARE's!

Don't get cocky though.  A co worker of mine pass all of his in five weeks and he never went any type of architectural school. 

Apr 27, 21 5:59 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Seriously miles. Bring something solid. Is CODE important? Sure, it is a series of recommendations and regulations that help save lives. But it is not design. It is a guidance on design criteria to promote the health and safety. Many countries do not follow it. It will continue to change and evolve. We are discussing architecture design philosophies here, not code. Even Ghery's buildings met code. 

"idea that someone as utterly clueless as yourself could become a licensed architect is an indication that bad design is here to stay". You see, another typical offensive language when you can't get into an argument with solid stuff. Just pathetic. Your old forum buddy may back you up, does not mean you are right.

Apr 27, 21 6:24 pm  · 

Many things that aren't considered architecture by themselves make up architectural design. Building codes are one of them.

Apr 27, 21 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"You do know code is just safety measures and not design right?"

Nice of you to admit you have no idea what design is right out in the open.

Apr 27, 21 6:36 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Now we are into the territory of what architecture is? What architecture consist of? What design is? LOL, I don't think there is an answer to that. Is an architecture thesis architecture? Some say it is. Is a series of building drawings on paper architecture design? Some also say it is. Some professors never cared about code, wrote many books on architecture. Is it architecture? Save it guys. Not gonna go into that argument. The old infinite answer question of what is Architecture and design. LOOOOL

Apr 27, 21 6:46 pm  · 

Jay - you've been arguing what is considered design for this entire thread . . . . I give you a T3 for your dedication but you have to work on your subtlety. You can't go contradicting yourself like that.

Apr 27, 21 6:51 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

What does LOOOOL sound like in real life? I wager it's not as cool as you might think.

Apr 27, 21 6:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

I will end it with this. I got your answer here. Hmm, read up. 

What is architecture?

If you think your code minimum meeting box is Architecture and design. So be it. I hope I see your statements there someday. With your talk about codes.

Apr 27, 21 6:59 pm  · 

Jay1122 wrote

"Now we are into the territory of what architecture is? What architecture consist of? What design is? LOL, I don't think there is an answer to that."

If you want to be a good troll you have to stop contradicting your own posts so close together.  

Apr 27, 21 7:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

You just can't comprehend what you do not agree with. Stop shifting my arguments into technical requirements. And go read the article a little, maybe it will broaden your vision a little and look beyond minimum codes.

Apr 27, 21 7:10 pm  · 
Jay1122

Ha, My statements does not contradict. I still stand behind my idea that architecture is still a series of choices and preferences. Like your code argument. You can choose to meet code, or exceed code. Still a preference. Even if you did not meet code, does not mean it is not architecture or worthless. It is just less safe. It is just you that think code is the absolute standard judging architecture. Not meeting code = garbage. It is just your opinion. Even if it does not meet code, there may be other great design qualities one could learn from. And old buildings did not meet code, Louis Kahn learned Monumentalism from ancient architecture styles and executed his work in a modern way. Just like you can only think Gehry's work is bad, does not mean Gehry's work is bad. Try harder man.

Apr 27, 21 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If you choose not to meet code, you will likely have the ability to call yourself an architect taken away from you. After that you won't be making architecture. You want to have a semantic pissing match, fine. You're the one being reductionist. Your projections give it away. Nobody is saying that technical aspects and code are all there is in design. You, on the other hand, have repeatedly said that one can just ignore what you don't like and that is the essence of design. Design is problem SOLVING, not problem IGNORING.

Apr 27, 21 8:12 pm  · 
1  · 

From time to time ignoring is indeed the solution. Though in this case it is not a problem, merely an annoyance.

Apr 27, 21 8:58 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

No one said to ignore the technical aspects or code. Where did you get that? We are discussing measurements of design qualities. And my original statement of there are no right or wrong. Do you know Primitive African Mud houses? I bet in your narrow mind those "not code meeting" mud houses are garbage not meeting your golden American standards right? Wrong design according to the arrogant miles. But I read a book that studies the African mud house's history, local construction techniques, and the sustainable strategies they incorporate in the vernacular architecture. The author did not diss it off as some poor garbage work instead studies the different aspects and principles that may help the modern design of sustainable structure and construction.  Your arrogant narrow mind just can't comprehend it. Out of all those different intangible aspects such as social, economical, historical, contextual, political, performance, etc. you could bring up for a worthy discussion. You brought Code as your backup? Man you are not even worthy to be on the same table. Anyway, I am not gonna help educate your narrow mind. You should stay ignorant and arrogant.

Apr 28, 21 9:01 am  · 
 · 

Jay - you need to take your own advice.

I'm not saying that imposed standards such as building code define what architecture is.  These imposed standards that new buildings must meet are part of architectural design and certainly influence current design.  

The reason we've brought up building code is that you stated that there is no wrong way to design a building and that everything is personal preference.  While that may be true for the aesthetic and cultural aspects of building design it is not so for the imposed standards most current projects must adhere to in order to be built. 

Apr 28, 21 10:17 am  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

The thing is Chad. The "Code" you treat as your bible is only based on the U.S. or other similar developed construction industry. In the standard of U.S architecture practice. Yes, it is an important factor one must incorporate and meet as an architect. But it is not wrong in a much broader sense of Architecture if it is not met. For example, the traditional Japanese house OP likes. A lot of those houses do not have insulations. They do not really have HVAC systems. They use Kotatsu table when it is cold. The house certainly did not meet the U.S. energy code requirements. Does that mean they are wrong and bad? No. It is just in that local climate condition, with eternal forces like economical or cultural influences. The need of such U.S. energy code standard does not apply.

I don't want to pull this. But I have to since you are laughing at my "personal preference"

Here is the link to Alejandro Aravena's " To design is to Prefer"  Interview.

https://www.archdaily.com/9060...

Read and broaden your sense a little. Go beyond typical U.S. utilitarian boxes. Look at other parts of the world. Dive into deeper philosophies beyond basic codes.

Alright, I am seriously out. Teaching too much.

Apr 28, 21 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

deeper philosophies like championing slavery for the sake of social consciousness? Yeah, you're scoring big points here Jay.

Apr 28, 21 11:59 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Jay: 

"No one said to ignore the technical aspects or code. Where did you get that? "

Also Jay:

"You can choose to meet code"

Inference being you can choose to not meet code.

Apr 28, 21 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I typed a long reply and it got eaten by my browser. Cliff notes version: stop being a dick and stop being a hypocrite by calling design a preference and then in the same breath making up positions of preference for other people those people aren't taking in order to tell them they suck. You're being a dick, Jay. Why are you surprised when you're being treated like one?

Apr 28, 21 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
MPJohnston85

Not trying to stir the pot here but as OP this is my "pot" to stir... Technically ALL (read most) of you all are being dicks. I started this thread to make connections to specific people to help build and shape my career but it was hijacked by a bunch of dick-measuring and nonsense. I have been forced to 'unfollow' my own damn post. Thank you to the few that have actually offered something helpful and beneficial to the conversation.

Apr 28, 21 12:47 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

MP, welcome to archinect. Just don't you dare touch the Jukebox it's Neil Young jams all day long. The thing is, and ignoring for a minute Jay's ridiculous & unfounded ranting, there is plenty here. You just need to learn to squint hard enough to see beyond the snark.

Apr 28, 21 1:01 pm  · 
2  · 

MP - sorry your thread got hijacked. Jay dose this quite a bit.

Apr 28, 21 1:03 pm  · 
2  · 
MPJohnston85

All good. I understand that the interwebs brings out a lot of angst, but I can see beyond the snark. I appreciate the great recommendations and entertaining banter, I just had to draw the line and try to get things back on topic.

Apr 28, 21 1:18 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Its alright. Just an arrogant and ignorant guy trying to insult others without real comprehension and solid backup. Then their same ignorant forum buddy jumped in to help. They would love to put their ideas into others mouth. Assumes my "preference" here = ignore code. Like that sneakypete, you are the one "implied" not me. The preference could easily apply to code. Example, you need 2 Hr wall. You can do concrete, CMU, Gyps. You can even do 3 Hrs if you prefer. It is all preference. Even if you prefer to go below code. You only have a Non-code compliant project. It just means you can't get approval for construction. Not WRONG ARCHITECTURE/DESIGN. only you think it is wrong. Small brain can only think black and white. What if it is not a built project? A design studio project? Does that mean it is totally worthless and wrong? They are just too arrogant to admit their ignorance and narrow view. And think their view is the absolute standard. And OP, it does relate to your topic,  while you explore the "Japanese" Modernism vs Western modernism. You have to look carefully into the regional influences specific to Japan. Unlike those ignorant guys think U.S. code = world architecture.

Apr 28, 21 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jay, are you really that incapable of learning anything?

A wise man once said: Dig up, stupid.

Applies to you.

Apr 28, 21 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

and he's passed his licensing exams . . .

also he's a self proclaimed expert on architectural theory . . . 

Apr 28, 21 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Apr 28, 21 2:45 pm  · 
3  · 
Jay1122

Here it is again, putting words and labels into others mouth. Sure better than someone's first reply being "Shut up you arrogant jerk." Honestly, I think you are the most arrogant one I've seen in this forum. Just put me on ignore or something, I really don't mind. Or go cheer up your Buddy in TC. He sure seems mad. stop replying to me.

Apr 28, 21 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

No. When you say rude things I'll call you out on it.

Apr 28, 21 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

You know what annoys me that started this long thread? I was having a discussion with OP hoping to learn something in terms of Japanese Minimalism. Then arrogant losers like Chad comes in with "Shut up you arrogant jerk". Another Arrogant loser Miles comes in with "you have no clue" and other insults. I just want to show how arrogant and ignorant they are. And I have successfully done so revealing their narrow paradigm & vision. Don't even want to enlighten them. Bunch of losers wasting time on forum even dare to laugh at Pritzker winners. I may not agree with Gehry's work. But I respect all the Pritzker winners. I would never say their work is wrong/bad. I have studied their work and viewed many articles about their work. I know why they have won the award and what aspects they focus with their architecture. Seriously, If you guys waste less time discussing useless shts in Thread central and spend it reading some actual architecture materials. Maybe then you can be less arrogant and ignorant. Come prove me wrong when you win some international awards or have your name on publications. That's when I'll have the respect. Other wise, just some internet forum losers thinking they are good.

Apr 29, 21 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Jay - I didn't read your OP as asking for a discussion or willingness to discuss and learn something. I read it as an arrogant rant telling other how to think. You admonish us for being arrogant and closed minded yet you yourself have exemplified this behavior on this form.

You're just an anonymous young person trying to make yourself feel better about your lack of experience and accomplishments.  You need to know that their is NOTHING wrong with not having experience or accomplishments at this point in your career as an architect.  These things take time and it's important to not judge yourself based on other accomplishments and progression.  As long as you're learning and bettering yourself it's all good.  Just don't try and belittle others because of your own perceived failures. Doing so makes you an asshole that no one respects.  

Apr 29, 21 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jay, please point to where you revealed all this? I won't hold my breath tho.

Apr 29, 21 10:25 am  · 
 · 

While my visualization is rendering . . . .

Apr 29, 21 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Its ok. Chad. I know you love to think you have all the experience and ideas. Not the first time, won't be the last. Everyone disagree with you is just low level scrubs trying to BS. I know someone as arrogant as you won't stop replying. You have to finish an argument as the last one replying to think you won. So go ahead, but I am out. I know in the narrow minds of arrogant guys can only see hostility in my post rather than the ideas behind it. They are not for you guys anyway. Hope you guys can stay the same. Just like how narrow minds read architecture literatures brushes it off as some useless jargons and bullshits.

Apr 29, 21 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

You're not helping yourself here Jay.

Apr 29, 21 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

look for an interview with John Pawson online, I think it was from Dezeen. His story of study in Japan is interesting and might give you some idea how to approach this. it certainly worked out for him.

I do think you're just going to have to go over there and figure out how to learn through experience as you go. Asking for mentors online in a north-american focused forum isn't going to yield results.

Apr 26, 21 10:18 am  · 
2  · 
MPJohnston85

Thanks for the recommendation on the Pawson interview. I saw that one come up and never circled back to listen!

And that was my thought... The first-hand experience is invaluable, especially in such a master craftsmen-centric design philosophy. But this was the most international forum I knew about. I just figured I would ask! :) 

Apr 26, 21 12:36 pm  · 
1  · 
apkouv

Midlander's advice is usually spot on. Also, don't take advice from Miles and his kind, as they are people with little credibiltity who have failed in architecture and end up spending all their day on their internet.

Apr 27, 21 8:15 pm  · 
SneakyPete

Don't look now but your axe is totally gone and you're grinding your knuckles.

Apr 27, 21 8:23 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Says the guy who's only contribution to this forum is harassing Miles. Maybe if we had some inkling that they actually knew something about design, their words would have merit. But alas, it's just a troll.

Apr 28, 21 12:41 pm  · 
2  · 

I think apkouv is Jay1122

Apr 28, 21 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Slightly off topic but some of my favorite design styles, and what my clients often ask for if they are design-literate, are Japanese and Scandinavian. Although they are on opposite sides of the globe, they share a minimalist approach, deep understanding of materials, connection to the landscape and other elements that make them distinctive compared to conventional North American architecture. I coined a term for this combination: Japandinavian. Then I realized that I, and my clients, also love traditional New England vernacular architecture, so I coined another term, New Enjapandinavian. I don't expect it to catch on but in case it does, you heard it here first (I think).

I understand that some people find labels limiting, but I find that categorizing things helps me understand what they are and how to use them. 

To the OP: one of few regrets I have is that in college, when I had the idea to study abroad in Japan to learn the craft of traditional Japanese timber framing, that it seemed impossibly complicated to figure out. If you are really interested, and can afford the time or money involved, I encourage you to go to the source and learn directly from Japanese practitioners. 

Apr 26, 21 10:29 am  · 
3  · 

I did a three-year apprenticeship with a Japanese Master Builder. It completely changed the way I see everything.

Apr 29, 21 12:54 pm  · 
1  · 
MPJohnston85

EDIT: Sorry I missed the reply on this one but this is clearly in response to you, Wood Guy

Japanese "Ma" and Scandinavian "Hygge" do seem to be a match made in minimalist heaven! Both can lead to such simple and beautiful design solutions. 

And that is where I am... I never really had the opportunity to travel internationally when I was younger and now, just turning 30, I realized it isn't going to get any easier. So that's where we are!

"Honey, get this kids! We're moving to Japan!"

Apr 26, 21 12:45 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Japan was a great place to spend time, but I'd have to seriously debate whether I'd want to move there. That being said there are folks on the forum here who practice in Japan and started their career in the West.

Apr 26, 21 2:06 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

When I was 30 I thought I was too old to do a lot of things. You're still young. Now in my late 40s I feel to old to do a lot of things but my 60-70yo friends say I'm still young. Do it!

Apr 26, 21 2:17 pm  · 
1  · 
RJ87

Japan is in interesting mix. On one hand you have the minimalist & on the other hand you have some pretty wild forms. I was fortunate to go over there for a bit & Kyoto ended up being my favorite Japanese city because it was quieter. I was always interested in crisp lines / visuals, so I was into some of the modern bath / teahouse design that stems from Japanese processional tradition. I ended up looking at them a lot for my thesis.

Apr 26, 21 5:20 pm  · 
1  · 
MPJohnston85

Kyoto is where I would love to end up. The hustle and bustle of the big city is a young man's game.

Ditto on the processional traditon. I have always thought that was an interesting subject, especially comparing and contrasting the techniques across eastern and western cultures. Very cool stuff!

Apr 27, 21 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Kyoto, while quietER, is still a big city. Only 4 US cities are more populous.

Apr 27, 21 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
MPJohnston85

I'll take it!

Apr 27, 21 4:58 pm  · 
1  · 

Kyoto is amazing and wonderful.

Apr 27, 21 5:08 pm  · 
4  · 
Volunteer

Sapporo or Helsinki?

Apr 27, 21 7:56 am  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Helifiknow but it looks cool. Though I'd want a roof over that deck.

Apr 27, 21 11:36 am  · 
1  · 

Naw - da sunz iz good!

Apr 27, 21 11:51 am  · 
2  · 
MPJohnston85

I cheated - This is the Glasshouse Chalet in Niseko, JP.

I actually feel like this is pretty inauthentic as far as a "minimalist" home... This seems much more like a western knock-off that just so happens to be in Japan. Maybe that was your point...

And I am with you Wood Guy, having grown up in the North, I'll pass on having to shovel my decks along with my driveway! ;)

Apr 27, 21 1:25 pm  · 
2  · 

Shoveling builds character.

Apr 27, 21 2:01 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

I'm enough of a character already ;-)

Apr 27, 21 3:03 pm  · 
1  · 

Touche!

Apr 27, 21 3:03 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

The only thing that could ruin this is one of those silly hanging tulip bulb fireplaces.

Edit... fuck. 

Glasshouse Fireplace | Lower Hirafu

Apr 27, 21 4:05 pm  · 
5  · 
MPJohnston85

haha The interior kills anything the exterior had going for it...

Apr 27, 21 4:58 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

yep, nothing says careful minimalist design like a big TV in front of a full height glass wall.

Apr 27, 21 5:11 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

One mans hanging tulip bulb fireplace is another mans testicle warmer

Apr 27, 21 5:45 pm  · 
3  · 
x-jla

Biggest problem with minimalism is clients filling it with all their junk.

Apr 27, 21 5:47 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

^thanks X for solving the mystery of that floor drain. Never thought I'd see an interior fireplace/urinal combo.

Apr 27, 21 5:47 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

without reading what he wrote my guess would be ventilation to get the heat moving

2  · 
Wood Guy

Makeup air makes sense to me. But floor drain/urinal is a possibility...

Apr 28, 21 9:18 am  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

XJLA, the secret to minimalism is to have a junk room for every clean room.

Apr 28, 21 9:19 am  · 
4  · 

Make sure you get a trap on the floor drain/urinal plumbing. If not, you'll get make up air from sewer gases and that's an explosive combination near open flames.

All about the HSW over here.

Apr 28, 21 11:08 am  · 
1  · 
MPJohnston85

for your health GIF

#foryourhealth

Apr 28, 21 11:22 am  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

FWIW there is a book out called Japan Living by Marcia Iwatate that showcases 27 modern Japanese homes, all by Japanese architects. It is available at Barnes and Nobel for $22. The designs are from all the different climates in Japan and the designs reflect to varying degrees the traditional influences. In several places the author points out the Scandinavian furniture in many of the homes and how that compliments the Japanese modern design. 

The 'Horizon House' is on the cover.

Apr 27, 21 6:36 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

Nice! I avoid Amazon when I can but they had a copy for $6 and I had a credit so I ordered one. I wonder if they used the term, japandinavian...

Apr 28, 21 9:17 am  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Sounds like a steal. The author has another book out, 'Japan Houses', but I haven't seen it yet.

Apr 28, 21 11:27 am  · 
1  · 

Check out FujiaraMuro Architects.  They have a good deal of articles about their process and design philosophy.

Apr 28, 21 1:06 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: