Archinect
anchor

Looking for a Mentor

crisprods

Hi architects,

I am a young aspiring architect. I am 26 years old and I am looking for a mentor. At the moment, I am going through my AXP/IDP hours but I have hit a standstill. Due to the pandemic, I am not employed by a licensed architect at the moment. I work with a subcontractor and cannot leave the job in the near future.

I only have 160 hours left in my AXP/IDP in the Project Planning & Design section and have already filled up the 320 hours that I am allowed to submit under construction work.

I am allowed to submit up to 320 hours more if I participate in a design competition and the hours are certified by a licensed architect mentor.

Please if there is anybody out there that would like to help an aspiring architect fulfill his AXP hours, do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you.

Apr 22, 21 12:47 pm
SneakyPete

How dare you try and become an architect through a non-traditional career path? HOW DARE YOU!?

Apr 22, 21 2:24 pm  · 
2  · 
crisprods

Haha, tbh. We gotta spend so much time becoming architects that I do not blame people for feeling bitter when others seek shorter or less traditional routes.

Apr 23, 21 1:17 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

You might get lucky here, but I should warn you this forum isn't the best avenue for what you're looking for. Happy to help point you in the right direction, though.

I'm not sure where in the country you are, but I'd suggest reaching out to someone at your local (city or state) AIA office, or an AIAS org at a nearby university if one exists near you. Most have emerging professional groups that meet regularly. If not, maybe they have occasional socials or a design lecture series.

The point is, get involved with your local architecture community and try to meet some people in real life with the eventual goal of an informal-then-formal mentorship. It's going to take some of your time and some of your bandwidth, but then again it should. 

Apr 22, 21 2:35 pm  · 
4  · 
crisprods

Tduds, thank you for replying. I understand this forum may not be the best avenue. I have superficially looked at my local AIA chapter and other organizations. I have found mentorship programs but they mainly focus on highschoolers and younger kids. The one professional mentorship program seems inactive, probably due to the pandemic. Which brings me to why I have come online to ask. I am in contact with a non-profit in my area that can sign hours for me but they are also stuck due to the pandemic. As you recommend you are right that creating a local and physical network would be best, but I thought I'd try online as local resources are shut down due to the coronavirus.

Apr 23, 21 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

What’s in it for the mentor?

https://youtu.be/JsQRI_A9xyE

Apr 22, 21 3:49 pm  · 
2  · 

FYI - I'm rather certain that NCARB has some type of reporting requirements for interns and mentors who don't practice and live in the same state / country

Apr 22, 21 6:35 pm  · 
1  · 

NCARB has Supervisors and Mentors that can sign off on hours last I checked. Supervisor does the majority and oversees your work on the job. Mentor can do other hours not necessarily work related but still practice related (like competition work per the OP) but I don’t think there is any stipulation they are in the same location as the candidate. I don’t think they even have to be licensed in the same jurisdiction the candidate works in, or in the same jurisdiction the candidate wants to get their initial license in ... providing the jurisdiction allows it. Check the jurisdiction’s fine print (NY is a unique one IIRC).

Apr 22, 21 10:54 pm  · 
1  · 

I was thinking of the supervisor role.

Apr 23, 21 9:30 am  · 
1  · 

That's what I thought. Most people probably never really have/use/need an official NCARB Mentor. I never did. I mean I had plenty of mentors, still have plenty, but not any that served as one for signing off hours for NCARB.

Apr 23, 21 11:05 am  · 
1  · 
crisprods

Everyday Architect is correct. Mentor and supervisor are different roles but they can be performed by the same person in some cases.

Apr 23, 21 1:42 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Guy that does not even work in an architecture firm wants to get licensed immediately. Mean while, my colleagues of 10+ yrs experience did not even bother to start the NCARB stuff. I am actually curious why you are in a such hurry. Want to start your own business and stamp drawings for contractors?

Apr 22, 21 7:03 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Why would you say what SneakyPete already said, but nonironically?

Apr 22, 21 8:38 pm  · 
1  · 

Because he's disappointed in his career path and it makes himself feel better by putting down others?

Apr 23, 21 9:31 am  · 
2  · 
crisprods

Jay, Yes, I am in a hurry to become a licensed architect. I have an entrepreneurial mindset and I cannot wait until I can practice on my own :) I have worked plenty in architecture firms previously and I am kind of tired of not doing my own work. Another reason I am in a hurry is because I am going to jump ship. I have just finished a computer science degree and have done freelance programming for a bit. So, I would like to finish my AXP hours before I obtain a SWE job. My idea is to use the high salary from a software engineering job to finance my own projects as a licensed architect. It will definitely be challenging, but so is working for somebody else and dreading my existence. As to your colleagues who took that long, I am not sure. Everybody doesn't work at the same pace. So, live and let live I suppose.

Apr 23, 21 12:55 pm  · 
1  · 
crisprods

Another thing is that I don't think you should discount my experience while working with a subcontractor. You have no idea the things I have learned and seen. I think it will make me a much better architect in the future than just seeing screens and drawings screens for the rest of my life.

Apr 23, 21 1:30 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

"You have no idea the things I have learned and seen." 

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion? C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate?

Apr 23, 21 1:48 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Those things are so easily lost. Like tears in rain.

Apr 23, 21 1:56 pm  · 
2  · 
crisprods

Haha, I am gonna have to watch Blade Runner after this.

Apr 23, 21 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

What design competitions are you looking at? this will help us who can be mentors figure out if we can be of much help or not and it will spark interest.  Also let us know where you are seeking first licence in as that can make a difference too.

Best of luck

Peter N

Apr 23, 21 9:58 am  · 
1  · 
crisprods

Well, I am not looking at one comeptition in specific. I do have an interest in homelessness and affordable housing though.

Apr 23, 21 1:39 pm  · 
1  · 
crisprods

I am also located and seeking licensure in CA .

Apr 23, 21 1:40 pm  · 
1  · 
crisprods

Jay,

Yes, I am in a hurry to become a licensed architect. I have an entrepreneurial mindset and I cannot wait until I can practice on my own :) I have worked plenty in architecture firms previously and I am kind of tired of not doing my own work.

Another reason I am in a hurry is because I am going to jump ship. I have just finished a computer science degree and have done freelance programming for a bit. So, I would like to finish my AXP hours before I obtain a SWE job.

My idea is to use the high salary from a software engineering job to finance my own projects as a licensed architect. It will definitely be challenging, but so is working for somebody else and dreading my existence.

As to your colleagues who took that long, I am not sure. Everybody works at the same pace. So, live and let live I suppose.

Apr 23, 21 12:54 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: