Archinect
anchor

Architecture Competitions for High School Students?

OkSoDefineIt

Hey Everyone,

What is the best place to look for architecture competitions for high school students? I'm currently a Junior in high school looking for some comps to join and would appreciate the help.

Thank you! 

Mar 21, 21 2:18 pm

After a quick look at your post history, I'd give the same advice others have already given you. Rather than look for design competitions, learn how to swing a hammer! Seriously ... that's excellent advice, especially if you're just starting out. 

Why?

Understanding what it physically takes to construct a building will make you a much more competent designer. If that's anything like my experience, you'll get to do some less than pleasant jobs, but you'll gain a much deeper understanding of the consequences of your design decisions. (You haven't lived until you've installed insulation in a confined crawlspace filled with spiders, etc. in 100º heat!)

The last thing a client/developer ever wants to hear is how some arbitrary design decision you made is going to cost them (lots of) money because it requires specialized labor/permitting to build. Understanding how that works in the field, especially at your age, will set you miles ahead of your competition. 

Best of Luck!

-Lorrin    

Mar 21, 21 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

https://bustler.net/

Mar 22, 21 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: