Archinect
anchor

Career Path

whitneydabere

Hi there, I am a high school student and I have been contemplating my path to become an architect and I was wondering if I could get some advice. So my initial plan is to get my Bachelors in Architectural Science and work towards getting my license from there. My second plan is to get a degree in civil engineering and then take the two year course with the RAIC to get my architecture license. The only thing is that I am not sure which path to take because, if I can get into a good architecture school with a co-op program then I would be able to gain experience in the field and become an expert at what I do. On the other hand, if I get my civil engineering degree then I have a wider range of career options. However, I am unsure of if when applying to an architecture firm, whether an employer would be looking someone with range or expertise. Also if the job as an architect falls out for me, I would have civil engineer as a back up. BUT the biggest thing for me is that I am not someone who is GREAT at physics and chemistry (my marks for them were in the 80s this year) -- also from my experience with the architecture course at my school, I have a deeper interest in becoming an architect as opposed to an engineer. What ever advice you can give on this subject (including the work environment, job availability, salary, and the licensing process of an architect) would be very helpful

Mar 9, 21 6:32 pm
Non Sequitur

RAIC = Canada? If so, I’ve already covered this many times, as well as a few others, in the forum. 

Mar 9, 21 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

if you don't feel strong in physics or have an interest in engineering it wouldn't be useful to study that. architects work with engineers but engineering isn't the core part of an architects work, and it would be hard to get a design oriented architecture job with an engineering background. the jobs for civil engineers in architecture firms usually are still engineering work or possibly construction administration. if you actually do like the work of an architect, having only an engineering degree will limit your possibilities.

Mar 10, 21 8:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Whitney, I got your DM.  Here's a few of the recent discussions regarding the RAIC Syllabus path.  I don't think you have the description down tho... 2year for license?  Where is that, because the syllabus is about 7y total + work experience then you get the green light to write the ExACs.  I am assuming you're considering Athabasca.  It's an interesting option but unlike the traditional M.arch route, you don't really get anything other than a syllabus diploma at the end.  There is something to say about a design gratuate degree.

links:

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Mar 10, 21 8:39 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: