Archinect
anchor

Urban Planner Studying a Masters of Urban Design

mckinnms

Good afternoon,

I hold a Bachelor's of Urban Planning, as well as a Grad Cert Env Design and have about 3 years professional experience. 1 and a half of which has been as a planner for a university in Australia. I have predominately been in a strategic role for the uni, with a strong focus on design - especially concept design for fit outs. I also completed a master plan for one our campuses. 

I was seeking further study options to up-skill and I was recommended to undertake a Masters of Urban Design. I have just completed the first week of the course. I am very passionate about the course but I am concerned that I may be wasting my time. I work regionally and contacted several architects in the local area. No architects were interested in planners with urban design quals as master planning/urban design was such a small portion of their portfolio. It was only sought after in metros.

I have a few questions... Do you know of any urban planners that have switched to urban design and found employment? Do you think urban design would benefit a campus planner? Would you recommend any other masters which may fit my career path as a campus planner/strategic planner?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Mar 1, 21 12:21 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: