Archinect
anchor

changing architectural path for more artistic- set design, film, stage design- anyone?

apple_pie_21

hello friends,

im not seeing myself in architecture field anymore. because of covid everything changed, its not even about salaries but searching for a new job. im hesitant of what i want to do as an future architect. im in a place that i will need to learn much for my licence. my boss  will not prolong an agreement with my anymore in a few months- because of money and covid struggles in a company. he's told me this recently. i started realising i need to seek for something new or start doing something on my own.

in the past during my studies i was involved in a film industry and i did set design and costume design- as an assistant but i also have some of greater works in my portfolio. the problem is that i needed to quit film journey because of my architecture master diploma, the time that i wanted to put in my master degree and then  - quickly i wanted to get a job in archi to start learning for my licence. i have been hired but the path is so slow and the salary especially during covid times has decreased. im not being payed the amount that person my age with my experience should be payed. and its not going to change. 

i m honestly trying to figure out my life now whether i need to come back to film industry or not. This film industry is better payed than architecture. but i would need to be 'a good professional'. have my own company, have a good equimpent and all of the professional licences to start. i dont have any archi programs now because i deleted them when i graduate from my master. the only pack i pay for is adobe creative that i can work on. but its like a graphic design. i would like to connect myself with other set designer, scenographers, spatial designers not only architecture graduates but also artists and film makers to work with them as a professional now- not as a student as i was and did before.

do you think that taking this path instead of pure architecture is a good idea?im very hesitant because i know i need to think fast and the next 6 months will be crucial for my career and my life. i will need to choose. 

i cant be 'an architect now' because i dont have a licence. BUT i can do interior design, set design, design, graphic art and etc. have you ever consider re-doing , changing your architecture path after graduation? Are you flexible with it or you push to be 'an architect'?

Its also about money because i need to start doing side hustles on my own soon in a more professional way to live on a certain and good level. i know its covid now and everyone struggles but everyone only thinks about themselves. and my boss also only thinks about himself and his office. 

do you think that this idea of changing is good? im afraid of it but i am not sure if i want to seek some new job in archi field when current agreement finishes. these are difficult times for me. i know that many of my collegues from architecture university would not agree with me and only push one path but im more  of a 'free bird, colorful person' in every office that i am in. everyone that i meet says that i should do more film stuff but i need to change my life completly to be the best in a film industry.

Feb 16, 21 10:55 am
senjohnblutarsky

I considered it as a fallback during the recession.  Graduated, didn't have a lot of job opportunities.  Glad I found a job and didn't go that route. 

Feb 16, 21 11:29 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

You probably have heard of the poor working conditions in the un-unionzed sectors within the film industry e.g. VFX - which puts architecture to shame. Set design is probably unionized but be sure to check whether you are eligible.

"BUT i can do interior design, set design, design, graphic art and etc." Also make sure that you do have the skillset and talent to compete with those who trained or have worked in these areas for years. Talented designers are able to work across fields but do perform a rational assessment of your skills as well. I've seen skilled pros from other fields go "I can do this too!" when talking about architecture - and it's true, they too can photoshop a sleek tower but as we all know, that's not the end and all of architecture.

Aug 26, 22 7:50 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Yes, a former classmate of mine is working in film/tv set design in the US as a member of the IASTE union. You can find them online at iaste.org.

Aug 26, 22 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: