Archinect
anchor

Job Interview Help: 20 years experience

ssimon82

I have been at my most recent job for almost 10 years and I have almost 20 years of work experience. After a decade, it's time for me to move on and look for a new job.

The problem is that it's been so long since I've had a job interview I have almost no idea what a person at my level of experience is expected to bring to an interview in terms of a portfolio.

The last time I went on a job interview I brought along a portfolio that had "tear-sheets" of projects from the office that I had worked on, a couple of half-size CD sets of projects so I could show which sheets I worked on to show my drafting skills, and even some projects and hand sketches from college.

I don't think much of that is appropriate. At my level of experience, I'm a project manager mostly, I might do crude sketches of details to explain something to someone on my team but more likely I'm red-lining drawings, preparing schedules, reviewing project budgets, staffing requirements, etc.

I thought I would bring tear-sheets from major projects that I have worked on over the years. Some copies of some analytic spreadsheets that I've done and maybe a couple of diagrams, plans, or details that I've done that explain some intricacies of some projects.

Am I on the right track? What else would you expect to see from a candidate? What have you brought to your own interviews?

I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Feb 6, 21 3:50 am
thisisnotmyname

I think you are on the right track.  The tear sheets are good to orient the interviewers with the types, scales, and quality level of buildings you have worked on.   The other stuff should be things you conceived or produced that visually support and exemplify your ability to fulfill the needs identified in the description of the position you are seeking.  

Feb 6, 21 11:56 am  · 
 · 
your conscience

don't forget these:

Image result for brass balls glengarry

Feb 12, 21 4:02 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

My last job search, all I would bring to interviews was a roll of bumwad, pocket scale, and a few sizes of Microns.

Feb 14, 21 5:26 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

With 20 years, you tailor it. Research the firm; the history, their values, the type of work, experience, etc. and current work.  This is marketing; identify your target market, and tailor your pitch to them specifically. If they do hotels, they aren’t necessarily going to give a crap about your retail big box until you can draw that line for them; “You’ve dealt with sophisticated clients, corporate imagining, national chain, owner’s reps, budgeting/estimates, and assembled internal teams and processes to streamline efficiency and standardized details specific to those brands so the firm isn’t starting each project from scratch with each project… Which of course has resulted in the projects you managed consistently earning 20-30 percent profit margins and tighter deadlines.” That sort of extra context goes over a ton better than a nice photo and some detail drawings and spreadsheets. You are a manager, not just production, not just a designer and someone who will make them lots of money. If you can click with them and the culture, that’s just cool whip. Let others show glossy photos; you have them, just draw them that line of what that photo really represents of your skillsets and why it should matter to them. So pick the work examples that you believe tell your story best and would be important to what they do.  

You are on the right track.. I usually add stuff beyond the immediate need for their hire; like mentioning I write contracts, have marketed, do zoning process and code reviews, etc. which adds value down the line for other slots you can help them with.

Feb 12, 21 1:30 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

I wager you'll spend maybe 1/4 of the interview looking at whatever you take.

Feb 12, 21 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 
zonker

If it's a Zoom interview, you want to test how you come across. It's like being a TV personality - don't get too close the screen, laptop cameras will make you look like a dork. And be agile and fascicle with the Zoom controls, many employers will knock you out of consideration if you don't Zoom, Team<Slack and or Gotomeeting weill

Feb 12, 21 4:15 pm  · 
1  · 
msparchitect

My feeling from my most recent successful interview with similar experience is that the portfolio is just to show a general level of competence. Project types and level of sophistication that you've worked on. We looked at it for a few minutes but then just sat there and chatted for an hour. Everything from competency to firm fit will come out in the conversation. Something similar to a tear sheet to a student portfolio is appropriate in my opinion. 

Feb 12, 21 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: