Archinect
anchor

Do graduate schools care if you were a high school valedictorian?!

jordanmattkim

Hey guys,

Currently applying for grad schools in the US, and I'm just wondering if schools care if you were a high school valedictorian? Do they care to an extent that they would ask you to submit materials to prove it or what lol 

Thanks

Jan 6, 21 5:25 pm
Non Sequitur

no.  hopefully you've accomplished more since then.  It's a one-liner in your CV.

Jan 6, 21 5:30 pm  · 
1  · 

not even worthy of a one-liner. Should be a bullet point at the tail end at most. Should maybe just be a word next to the date you graduated from HS.

Secondary Education: "Go Team High School," graduated valedictorian 2016.

Jan 6, 21 5:56 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

agree. I think I even abbreviated my HS's name to make it look even less important on my grad school CV.

Jan 6, 21 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

As soon is a HS diploma is no longer your highest academic credential, it should never be mentioned again.

Jan 6, 21 7:43 pm  · 
7  · 
Bench

I tend to think if I saw that on a resume I would question why there wasn't more relevant recent things to mention. Grasping at the high school glory days is never a good look...

Jan 7, 21 8:26 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

speaking of highschool, I just recently (November 2020) had to make a formal request for my HS diploma in order to demonstrate I attended a french-language institution for license reciprocity in Quebec. Turns out they don't have a copy on record but determined I should have passed 20 years ago so they wrote me a nice letter. I most likely tossed away the piece of paper or never bothered to pick it up. Who knows and who cares? Not much value in something you get just for showing-up.

Jan 7, 21 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Sorry if you can't provide proof I'm not sure I believe you. Collis esti-le!

Jan 7, 21 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^not important anymore, name now officially listed on the OAQ directory.

edit: tabernak

Jan 7, 21 9:46 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I went to a Tech high school & studied carpentry and drafting, so I leave that as a line on my resume since it helps explain why I had industry experience before 16. Incidentally, I graduated valedictorian, so I tack it on the same line just for funs. One line is all it needs.

Jan 7, 21 1:09 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

So, funny story about HS graduation and career: I didn't actually finish HS, I took the state proficiency exam and quit at 16, I then got about 3 years of college under my belt, but dropped out (I eventually went back and finished my BA in my late 30s), then I went to a technical college for Architectural Technology, but got my first full-time architecture job and blew off the last semester. So, for the first decade of my architectural career, Certificate of HS Proficiency was my highest educational credential. When I became a project manager, I wanted to get ", CHSP" after my name on my business cards, but my boss just lacked a sense of humor.

Jan 7, 21 2:21 pm  · 
2  · 
Broadstreetexpresstrain

Sure leave it on there ....it shows leadership abilities and potential

I have that I was captain of my football team on my resume and architecture design awards won in highschool  and honor society too ... just for that reason  .....to show  leadership abilities and potential dating back to my teen years......but this info is not added at the expense of my current information.

Jan 7, 21 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
_rococo_

I say include it. I remember the dean of my grad school once telling me something along the lines of, "We need to work on admitting more students with top grades like you." I didn't have any prior professional experience and my undergrad design work was just OK, but I ended up becoming one of the top students in my M.Arch program and winning all of the big merit scholarships. A good work ethic is worth something!

Jan 9, 21 6:32 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: