Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Fall 2021 Application Status

cbkk

Hey everyone,

Found this thread super helpful last year so figured I'd revive it for this round of applications. Feel free to share and we'll get through this (exceptionally) stressful time together.

• Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
  • Letter of recommendations 
  • Personal Essay/Statement 
  • Portfolio
  • Schools 
  • Open house impressions 
  • Results 
  • Tips

Dec 18, 20 3:52 pm
archi_gram

I heard this year is going to be the most competitive year in history because of all the deferrals. So Good luck to all! 

Dec 26, 20 8:34 am  · 
4  ·  1
Luques

can you expand on this comment - from whom did you hear this? is this in reference to a particular school? are you saying that applicants who were accepted last year deferred starting their Masters programs to this year so there will be fewer seats for this year's applicant pool? I was under the impression that (some? many?) schools did not allow deferrals.

Dec 29, 20 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
kidomega

OP posted the same comment in another thread exactly like this. Probably just trolling/intimidating/stressing applicants. There were definitely deferrals in the previous cycle, but that doesn't guarantee that they're re-applying again for this coming cycle and/or get automatically accepted. No one is even assured yet if schools next year will be back in campus or still be remote/virtual.

Dec 30, 20 6:57 am  · 
1  ·  2
archi_gram

You probably just don't want to accept the fact. Here are some data from Harvard's EA to give you some insights on this application season "Havard College today accepted 747 students to the Class of 2025 from a pool of 10,086 who applied under the early action program. Those students will join 349 others who deferred admission to the Class of 2025 this past summer. Last year, 895 students were selected from the 6,424 who applied." And I think you have some misunderstandings about the word defer

Jan 12, 21 7:59 pm  · 
2  ·  2
Whoknow

I mean not everyone here only applies to Harvard, some people just want to apply to an M.arch program that suits their interest, you know... But well if you are talking about Harvard, it is competitive regardless.

Jan 12, 21 8:39 pm  · 
1  · 
dd_x

I don't know about all the school but some (GSAPP, Yale, GSD, Princeton, Cornell) did mentioned on their open house events that they didn't allow people to defer the past cycle. Regardless, I do agree with archi_gram that this will be a more
competitive circle.

Jan 12, 21 9:06 pm  · 
1  · 
kidomega

That's Harvard COLLEGE, not even the GSD which does not have the same student intake/population in terms of age, experience, etc. (nor any graduate school or school of architecture/design/etc. that the people in this thread are applying to). That is a totally different demographic and the statistics of that sample doesn't automatically equate nor translate with the other institutions. The issue here is that you seem to be spreading this comment of yours across the application status t hreads with no basis (as Luques is asking you). Generally speaking, by default, Harvard as a whole has always been competitive, but so are the other Ivies, UCLA, UC Berkeley, etc. Do you have the figures of these institutions (and the others) that also prove that this cycle will forecast a more competitive selection/even lower admissions rate than ever before (specifically for graduate school)?

Jan 12, 21 10:09 pm  · 
4  ·  3
deathbydesign

Maybe what OP meant by "competitive" is that there's a broader pool of applicants this year because the application process and requirements were more lenient? Thus setting a higher bar in the selection criteria for admissions. Possibly what used to be the hierarchy of requirements (portfolio, essay, recommendations, GPAs) will now share equal value, making it more challenging to craft each requirement equally as important and as provoking as the other. There's great talent out there that don't get to apply to their dream schools, or the big schools, due to restraints in even complying with what is asked during application, so this cycle gives them that opportunity. Let's face it, certain admitted students, even while having a stellar portfolio, essay, recommendation, and grades to get admitted into their choice of programs, have the extra advantage of accessibility and privilege that some, if not many, equal to their talent don't. So with a few extra doors opened for this cycle making it possible to apply without hesitations, there's definitely a higher level of competency that this cycle of applicants are setting.

Jan 15, 21 10:59 pm  · 
2  · 
mitbos

@Luques I got in GSAPP last year. Defers are only barred after July. There were about 1/4 of the class deferred to this year as they made their decisions early before policies changed. One classmate said we were really desperate last year and accepted 200 waitlist. Not sure if true. I know there were less defers at Cornell because they resumed in person. But It wasn't pretty at all at other ivies and MIT because of online. I was in the sciarc email ring. The tension was there in the last few months before school starts because many people can't decide if they want to apply again.

Jan 26, 21 5:52 am  · 
3  · 
placebeyondthesplines

the issue with this year's admissions has less to do with deferrals than leaves of absence. though schools were generally stingy with deferrals for 2020-2021, they allowed for many returning students to take a semester (or year) away from their programs.

as many of those students are expected to return in fall 2021, there will be reduced studio space for the newly admitted incoming class, so the admissions process will necessarily be more competitive.

Jan 27, 21 10:30 am  · 
3  · 
rainonme

schools only stop allowing deferrals after too many people doing that. Either way, reapplying this year still stresses the already fierce competition.

Jan 31, 21 6:30 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

you have no idea what you're talking about. many of the top graduate architecture programs do not ever allow deferrals.

Jan 31, 21 8:54 pm  · 
1  · 
rainonme

As an international student, I can tell you based on my own experience associated with a top-ranking university and stories from my current classmates at a study away program in China who are from all different other top universities in the US, that schools have dramatic adaptations on defers and gap year goers over the past year in light of the US embassy shut down globally. It might be unprecedented, but Covid changed everything. Schools provide options for international students because it's not fair for us too. Again, I studied away and took online courses, but I told you what I saw in groups chats and what I heard from people

Feb 2, 21 7:31 am  · 
 · 
growingblockuniverse

I'll start:

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign - Class of 2020

GPA: 3.31 

Letters: Two past studio professors and current boss (founding principal architect)

Portfolio: https://issuu.com/andrewjerryf...

Schools:

Architectural Association (early application)

UCLA

UC Berkeley

Washington University in St. Louis

UPenn

Columbia

GSD

University of Hong Kong

Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts

Open House Impressions: None in-person. Most attracted to the AA for its mix of computational experimentation (AADRL) and prioritization of realistic architectural prompts in its studios' assignments. Columbia and AA have very impressive shops/resources for fabrication.

Results: Awaiting decisions from all (as of 12/29/20)

Tips: 

Portfolio - "Finish" your portfolio weeks before the first deadline. While many of the applications have roughly equivalent requirements for the portfolio, slight differences (such as page length, file size, spreads vs, no spreads and whether a spread counts as a single page, credits to collaborators and professors, etc.) will become time-consuming to adjust. 

Personal Essay - Like the portfolio requirements, the prompts and word-counts for this submission often vary slightly from school to school. Give yourself plenty of time to make adjustments to accommodate these differences. Like any writing assignment, my final products came by writing and revising a number of drafts. Space out working on these between days/sleep levels/moods. What felt like a brilliant sentence might be completely different to you three days later. Send for proofing to people whose writing and intellects you trust/respect (in and out of architecture) for proofing.

Letters of Recommendation - Send the requests to each referee as early as possible. I would recommend jumping straight to this page on each application and then returning to fill in the rest. Give your references as much time as possible to complete the submissions.

General - Applying to Graduate School is a serious time commitment, and the entire process has required consistent work since early October (for me). Start earlier than you think you need to. Start earlier than you think you need to. Start earlier than you think you need to.

Good luck to all!

Dec 29, 20 1:25 am  · 
2  · 
natematt

If you're interested in fabrication you should check out the University of Michigan.

Good luck!

Dec 29, 20 4:05 am  · 
1  · 
cbkk

Portfolio link doesn't seem to be valid anymore but looked great when I flipped through a couple days ago, and couldn't agree more re: most of your tips.

We're applying to many of the same places, so good luck!

Dec 31, 20 2:14 pm  · 
1  · 
growingblockuniverse

Edit: Invited for a Zoom interview at the Architectural Association

Jan 16, 21 4:06 pm  · 
4  · 
cbkk

B.S. Arch / University of Cincinnati / 2018

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.5 / N/A

One former professor, two current supervisors (design principals with corporate firm)

Took a more personal approach in describing a unique upbringing and the ways in which that background has come to elucidate my current perception and future ambitions for architecture. More or less kept a consistent format for each and heavily modified one/multiple paragraphs toward each school.

• Portfolio

https://issuu.com/connorkramer...

• Schools 

Harvard GSD

Yale SOA

Columbia GSAPP

Rice

Cornell

Penn

MIT

Michigan

WUSTL

• Open house impressions 

Attended virtually but wasn't exceptionally impressed by any of them... Placing more stock in current student/alum experience and past personal visits.

• Results 

Awaiting

• Tips

Recommendations: Make sure to have a backup recommender that you trust to pull through if/when someone else flakes. A former professor that agreed to write my third letter months ago went silent days before deadlines, so I decided on a second professional recommendation instead. Most schools prefer two academic references but in the end they want someone who knows you well and will give an honest opinion, especially if you've been out of school an extended period like I have. That being said, give them plenty of time – I sent requests in September and each of them submitted only a few days ago. 

Portfolio: This is undoubtedly the most significant part of the application, so treat it as so. Make sure the information is clear, concise, and easy to follow. Let your main images pop (hero renderings, drawings, etc) but don't be afraid to show dirty process work as well. Schools want to know how you think critically and why you approached a problem in the way you did. Rendering and graphic skills are no doubt important but the focus should be on the overall story you're intending to tell. To this end, allow text to serve as a supplemental narrative to the imagery - outline a problem and how/why you chose to solve it, rather than simply verbally explaining what's being shown in the visuals.

Essays: Allow for more time than you think you will need for these. Writing always came relatively easy to me so I wasn't too concerned going in, but found these to be much more difficult and time consuming than I anticipated. Treat the statement as a companion to your portfolio - a written account of who you are and why these schools should accept you. Rather than simply listing the things on your CV, use it as a chance to explain how you've come to form the position you inevitably possess and wish to further develop with graduate study. 

General: Treat the portfolio, essays, CV and letters as a cohesive, single package. Aim for each to complement and build off one another, but still maintain the ability to adequately portray your qualifications independently. And above all else, start early. 

Good luck!

Dec 31, 20 3:48 pm  · 
4  · 
hellion

Great portfolio! Neatly laid-out as well. Good luck!

Jan 6, 21 10:38 am  · 
 · 
lmaccora

Hello, M.Arch Fall 2021 Applicants!

My name is Lisa and I am currently working for UTSOA's grad office as a student assistant. I would be more than happy to help or inform anyone who has questions about our M.Arch program or its application process! I have a BS.Arch from OSU and will be graduating with my M.Arch from UT Austin in May 2021! I also will be graduating with a certificate in Historic Preservation if anyone has questions about that as well. 

Best of luck to all applying for grad programs this year!

Dec 31, 20 4:56 pm  · 
7  · 
emselyyy

Hi! I'll go since last year's forum has helped me a lot: 

• TCU 18' Studio Art/Art History, 3.6 
    • No Architecture background but I took LAIAD's Grad Prep Program and i would recommend it to any non-arch background entering grad school. 
  • Took the GRE because UCLA needed it, didn't do great 
  • 3 Letter of recommendations from LAIAD Professors 
  • Portfolio https://issuu.com/landshark/do...
    • would love any critiques! 
  • Schools 
    • UCLA
    • UC BERKLEY
    • GA TECH
    • UT AUSTIN
    • COLUMBIA
  • Open house impressions 
    • really wish we could do these this year. 
  • Waiting on Results (as of 1/10/21) 

Jan 10, 21 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
bullymaguire21

Neat portfolio! I felt the descriptions were easy to understand and the work is pretty cool. Though on the 10-11 spread, I think the title block is a bit hard to read over the photo. Also with the line running underneath, I notice some of the drawings bleed over it to the bottom edge and sometimes not. That's really a minor peeve though.

Jan 13, 21 4:10 pm  · 
1  · 
lmaccora

Hi! I see that you have applied to UT Austin. I am currently in the M.Arch program there (graduating in May 2021) and would be happy to answer any of your questions about the program or give you insight into student life! Feel free to reach out if I can be of any help! - Lisa Maccora

Jan 15, 21 5:27 pm  · 
1  · 
emselyyy

update: in at Berkley!

Feb 17, 21 10:15 pm  · 
2  · 
y920

congrats! Btw it's so nice to see another studio art & art history student here :) Are you going to their open house?

Feb 19, 21 12:33 am  · 
 · 
emselyyy

Yeah, I went to their open house, it was nice!

Mar 9, 21 1:11 pm  · 
1  · 
emselyyy

and update: in at UT!

Mar 9, 21 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
emselyyy

in at Georgia Tech

Mar 16, 21 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
emselyyy

out at UCLA, finally heard back

Mar 25, 21 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
emselyyy

Out at Columbia, finally heard back

Mar 30, 21 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
emselyyy

final update: committed to Berkeley

Apr 15, 21 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
bullymaguire21

I've been a ghost on this forum for a long time. I recently made an account for this graduate admission cycle.

professional BS Landscape Architecture/Cornell University/2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.7/4.0 - 165V/164Q/5.0 -  no TOEFL

2 Studio Instructors and 1 Professor/Employer

Focused on my research interests, my career aspirations and how I began to pursue them through my undergraduate studies. It's crazy where I am right now. Originally, I went to Cornell to study Physics. Interests lie in climate resilience, new design materials and collaborative design research projects.

• Portfolio

I'm definitely not the most technically proficient and I focused a lot on the layout to keep things relatively easy on the eyes. Converted a lot of data into graphs and diagrammes. I tried to keep the pages succulent and edited out a lot of drawings that weren't too great. I honestly had a lot of great sketchbooks in storage back in school. With the travel restrictions, it's too bad they didn't make it in.

https://issuu.com/mdchang99/do...

• Schools 

M.Arch I or M.Arch I/MLA II dual-degrees:

MIT, Harvard GSD, Cornell, Yale, Columbia and UPenn

• Open house impressions 

MIT, GSD and Yale most align with my current research interests. I have my fingers crossed and hope for some scholarships too. I definitely can't afford to pay it all.

Would also love to return to Cornell as an MLA grad. Ithaca might be cold and drab but the people at Cornell are lovely!

• Results 

TBA

• Tips

All of these programmes are so competitive and any acceptances should be celebrated. The times are so unprecedented and I wish everyone the best of luck!

PS If anyone is applying to Cornell MLA or any Cornell school, DM me if you want to know more about the studio culture (or Ithaca).

Jan 13, 21 4:03 pm  · 
2  · 
bullymaguire21

GSD: In $$$ (M.Arch I)

Mar 1, 21 3:14 pm  · 
3  · 
bullymaguire21

Yale: Out

Mar 1, 21 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
bullymaguire21

Cornell : Out (M.Arch I)

Mar 5, 21 11:37 am  · 
 · 
bullymaguire21

Penn: In (early notif idk why. no aid package yet)

Mar 6, 21 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
dougy99

Hey so this is late but I thought I might as well post this here cause the these posts in the last few years were helpful

Economics and Computer Science / McGill University (Canada) / 2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.85/4.0 - didn't do - didn't do

2 from profs at my school; Economics and Architecture prof, two from past employers; President of a tech market research company and president of an interior design firm

I focused mine a lot on why I am where I am now, harping a fair bit on my brothers and mums battle with cancer over the course of my university education. I was originally going to do a Bachelors of Arch but after talking to some other architects they suggested I try a few other things first to then really confirm this path so here I am. I've had to pay for my own way through school so I've always had a job (which required design work) while working at school which I spoke about as well. 

• Portfolio

All my design work comes from work experience where I've designed advertisements and websites / draw in my free time so this is definitely lower quality than the rest. I don't have my portfolio on issuu but for reference here is one of the websites I developed and included in my portfolio: https://www.wyngit.com. I included some sculptures as well as I really wanted my portfolio to have a little bit of everything seeing as I'm coming from a relatively different background than most. A big fall back of mine is I laid out my portfolio in a very minimal way as though it was a pamphlet which lacks display of my process for each piece. 

• Schools 

M.Arch I:

Columbia, UC Berkeley, UBC (Canada), U of T (Canada) 

• Open house impressions 

Didn't go just read about them here lol.

• Results 

TBA

• Tips

As has been repeated so many times already, start early. I left my essays to a week before their due date each time. They were all due around the time of my final exams which made December a very stressful month. 

Jan 20, 21 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Whoknow
  • Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

BA in Architecture / UCB / 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.1 - Waive - Waive 

4 Studio Profs 

Basically talked about architectural elements in the city where I grew up and how those inspired me. 

• Portfolio

https://issuu.com/vietnguyen7/...

• Schools 

UCB, Yale SOA, GSD, Upenn, GSAPP

• Open house impressions

I didnt go to any of them, I wish I could, it always conflicts with my work hours. Tho, I did join GSD InDesign Bootcamp, and the instructors shared their portfolios, and I think those are pretty beautiful portfolios.  

• Results 

Will See! Wish me luck I guess. :)

• Tips

General, I can’t stress it enough is to start early, if you couldn’t start the application physically, start it in your head, think about it, be obsessed with it, and treat it as a year-long design exercise where you have to craft your portfolio and writing. Make your personal statement and portfolio speak with each other cohesively. 

Portfolio: Most important material, it is a process of understanding yourself as a designer, and trust me, if you spend enough time working on your portfolio, you will realize why you design certain things and understand your logic behind the design. I looked back at my old sketchbook years ago, and I was trying to compare those final products with my early sketches, and I realized a lot of those sketches are basically my final idea with just more refined graphics. So sometimes, you got to have to look backward to move forward. Schools give you full of deadlines, parties, events, and sleepless night studies, and certainly, we just forgot about the most valuable elements hid behind the early pages of your sketchbook. So keep your sketchbooks, don’t throw them away. Include sketches in your portfolio, and not all but some that speak out the most. 

After you think you are at a stopping point with your portfolio, ask people to judge it, sure they will give plenty of comments base on their preference, all are valuable to look at the different set of eyes. You can treat it as Quality Control ( Spelling and Grammar mistakes, Color Balance, Layout ). I have asked many people on this forum to help me with that, and I felt grateful and thankful for all of those comments. The final portfolio is not perfect, still have some layout issues but I am quite happy with it for now. Just do the best you can.

Essay, not an expert in writing because English is my second language. But just think about it when you are free, layout your idea when you are free, I usually did it in the shower, so sometimes I take a 30-minute shower and wasted a lot of water. Definitely write a genuine one and don’t try to impress any school, I think they just want to see an applicant’s unique perspective toward architecture. Do some research on the school you apply, to have a general idea of the strengths and focuses of the program. I am still improving on my writing so...

Good Luck to everyone :)

Jan 21, 21 12:04 pm  · 
5  · 
autocat

Love the portfolio! Best of luck, did you apply for advanced standing?

Jan 26, 21 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

I didn't apply for AP, I think the committee will decide that I think. I am coming from a BA so technically I don't think that I am qualified for AP or M.arch II.

Jan 26, 21 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
autocat

B.S. Environmental Design, Minor- Studio Art/ Arizona State University / 2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.31, Junior/Senior GPA- 3.98 - N/A - N/A

Two professors, my boss

Different for almost every school, especially the GSD one. I took some different approaches with those smaller, sectioned essays that were more about specific experiences, and relayed it back to why I love architecture. Went a little off the wall/avant-garde with some of the essays for GSD, but I don't think it hurt me? Fingers crossed. Overall in the other ones I discussed my cultural background, background in engineering, why I transferred to design, what I aim to do with it, why I will never look back. 

• Portfolio

I transferred to Environmental Design my third year of undergrad, and I've been in this degree for two years. ASU doesn't have the best EnvD degree, so most of my projects have been reliant on first year architecture studio, metalsmithing, sketches I have done, paintings. It's not perfect, there are definitely things I wish I changed, but overall I am happy with it. If anyone requests I'll post. 

• Schools 

Harvard GSD

IIT

Columbia GSAPP

ASU

Pratt

• Open house impressions 

Most of my investment was in GSAPP, so mainly attended those and their online lectures. I already attend ASU so I am pretty familiar with their mission and facilities. Overall: love ASU's focus on Indigenous design, they have a great biomimicry center here and very diverse class range so you could explore other interests as well. But it's just really, really hot, but it's "a dry heat". GSAPP was also great, very comprehensive sessions. It's also NY, and their lectures have been really well-structured and informational. 

• Results 

In: ASU

Waiting on the rest

• Tips

Start as early as possible. I know everyone says this, so I won't go over it too much. I would also recommend taking time away from a project, and coming back to it, even redoing the project completely just for the portfolio. We tend to get tunnel vision, I find that putting the laptop down, taking a break and coming back will help a lot with the creativity block. 

Many of us don't have an architectural background. So if you are showing your art projects, show your progress, even if it means you have to go back to make up some progress. Don't underestimate sketches that you have buried away, they show design prowess. Don't worry about making your portfolio look like an architecture portfolio, they would rather see your amazing underwater basket weaving as opposed to your mediocre CAD drawings. I didn't have a single CAD drawing in my portfolio. Yes I did some in undergrad, but they are faaar from my best work, so I won't include them.

For the essay, don't be too generic. Don't tell them how you were always meant to do architecture and you built with LEGOS since you were 7 and that somehow means you are meant to go to Yale. Be honest, but don't be too TMI. I honestly may have been a little too TMI about my mental illness in my essays. 

For those whose English is not their first language: have someone whose is proofread your essay(s), I would also be happy to read over them if you ever want to DM me. I believe those on the admissions board are understanding to some degree, but this isn't just about grammar. There might also be topics or just ways you structure sentences that seem off, pretentious, or inappropriate that can be avoided if you have someone who speaks English as a first language check your essay. 

This may seem like an unnecessary tip, but this isn't just a tip for grad school, this is just a tip for real life: DON'T BE A CREEP. I've been hit on during open house sessions and guess what? You get reported to the head of admissions, and your name is blacklisted. Don't make women (and people in general) uncomfortable, seriously can't believe I need to say this. This is grad school, we are grown ass adults. And don't make a Zoom call uncomfortable for everyone, we are here to get information for admissions, not to be stalked. 

Good luck! 

Jan 26, 21 5:39 pm  · 
5  · 
autocat

Update:

GSD- OUT, expected honestly

Pratt- IN $$

IIT- IN, no word on funding yet

Mar 2, 21 11:09 am  · 
1  · 
autocat

IIT- $$$

Mar 4, 21 6:58 pm  · 
1  · 
IhAteDaAp

B.S. Arch / U. of Cincinnati / 2021

GPA : 3.5 - GRE : waived  - TOEFL : waived

Recommendation Letters : 2 from studio professors - 1 from coworker

Personal Essay/Statement : Wrote about my career goals and why i would make a good candidate 

Portfolio : 7 studio academic - 1 research - 1 competition - 1 personal work

Schools : U. of Michigan - tOSU - Rice - Yale - GSD - MIT - Cornell - GSAPP - U. of Penn - Pratt

• Open house impressions : Wasn't very impressed with U. of Michigan or OSU, I really liked Cornell's and GSD but didn't get to go to the other ones
  • Results : Not yet (keeping fingers crossed ) 
  • Tips : Take it easy and be as authentic as possible :) 
Feb 1, 21 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
IhAteDaAp

U of Michigan / tOSU / Cornell / Pratt : In

Mar 2, 21 2:58 am  · 
1  · 
IhAteDaAp

Yale / GSD : out

Mar 2, 21 2:58 am  · 
 · 
snehalakshmi1

Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

B.ARCH/ BSAU( INDIA) / 2018

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

7.59/ NA/ 107

Letter of recommendations 

• Dean of the Architecture Department
  • A professor from my Undergraduate program
  • UC Berkeley Summer School Instructor
  • Previous Employer

Personal Essay/Statement 

I spent a few months writing and rewriting my essay. Focused on my values and tied my experiences to those values. Honest and straightforward.

Portfolio

https://issuu.com/snehalakshmisubra/docs/portfolio

Schools 

UCB, UT AUSTIN, WASHU, UVIRGINIA, HARVARD, COLUMBIA, UMICH, PRATT, CORNELL, USC, RISD.

Results 

Will update.

Feb 6, 21 11:53 pm  · 
1  · 
lmaccora

Hi! I am a current UTSOA student in the M.Arch program and would be happy to give you any insight into our school! I graduate in May and also had a background in Architecture. Best of luck!

Feb 10, 21 11:18 am  · 
1  · 
snehalakshmi1

UPDATE : UCB rejection

Feb 23, 21 12:36 am  · 
 · 
odhc86

Hi! Which program you applied for?

Feb 23, 21 1:37 am  · 
 · 
Mayalibya

BA Engineering 

Architecture Conservation and Sustainability Structural Stream

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

GPA 3.75/4

Two professional from government ( One is architect other conservation engineer)

• Portfolio

Created it recently as I have no formal background in architecture. Includes drawings/paintings, one renovation work  and two building designs I worked on my own.

• Schools 

Carleton University 

• Open house impressions
  • Results 

Awaiting..

• Tips

Feb 13, 21 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
hemantjindal

This is Hemant from India

Is there any Update on AADRL, PRATT OR SCIARC applicantation anyone? And how long does ITECH take to reply to their applicants? 

Feb 17, 21 3:38 am  · 
1  · 
JJCESD

what is Itech? applied to SCIARC and IITech - no info from them yet.

Feb 20, 21 5:46 pm  · 
1  · 
dsh_

https://www.icd.uni-stuttgart.de/teaching/itech/

Feb 21, 21 1:44 am  · 
1  · 
SpaceSyntax_fse

Got Pratt update today for MSc. Arch+UD

Mar 4, 21 1:24 pm  · 
2  · 
jerryrodriguez
    BA - English & Creative Writing / UT Austin / 2020
  • 3.71 / N/A
    2 former professors and 1 current employer
    Talked about personal experiences in relation to my love and understanding for design and the human experience. 
  • Portfolio
    https://issuu.com/jerry.rdz.so...

(Heads up, I designed it so that each page was viewed individually, and not as spreads, but ISSUU modified it to fit its own format...)
  • Schools
    MIT, Yale, Columbia, and Cornell
  • Open house impressions
    Only attended Yale's virtual open house. pretty informative, to be honest. It was my first time ever attending one.
  • Results 
    Hoping for acceptance, prepared for rejection, though quite honestly not sure what to expect... :)
  • Tips

Portfolio: 
    This advice is probably more suitable for people with non-arch backgrounds like myself, since that's really the only approach I'm familiar with and have experienced...

Take a few months to produce original work intended solely for the purpose of the portfolio. You can also recycle previous work, of course, but show intentionality about everything. Every work in your portfolio should contribute something towards a GREATER picture. That "greater picture," or the overarching idea, should mirror your essay. Furthermore, I believe your portfolio work is an opportunity not just to reflect what you've stated in the essay, but also to expand on the themes and ideas. Plus, it's also an opportunity to make an experience out of the overall portfolio itself. Think about the mood and tone and colors and arrangements of the portfolio. Say every art/design work is an instrument, and the portfolio itself is a composition...

essay tips: 
    Be unafraid to answer with originality and personal experience, but be sure to stay right on topic and in direct response to the prompt. 

Be concise. 

I'd say start developing ideas early on, like 5 months early, and pretty much just write your ideas, and write, and keep writing. It's a wonderful experience to realize, eventually, that you'll have plenty of personal content to work with. Then, maybe 2-3 months prior to the deadline, start organizing your ideas and structuring your essay. 

Definitely have someone proofread your work and provide feedback. This applies to the artwork you'll be creating for your portfolio as well. Talk about your ideas with people. Talk to people who know you well and ask them why they think you'd be a good match for the arch programs... you'll be surprised what they have to say, I'm sure. 

I might regret providing "tips" if I don't get accepted, lol. Oh well. :) 

Also, last thing, Feedback is definitely appreciated. I'm curious to see what people think of my work, stats, and chances.

Much love! 
Feb 19, 21 12:26 am  · 
1  · 
umarell

an avid lit & cw lover here, and I love how literary (atmospheric) your portfolio looks! good luck !!!!!

also in the "Hoping for acceptance, prepared for rejection, though quite honestly not sure what to expect... :)" stage, accurate!

Feb 19, 21 10:51 am  · 
1  · 
jerryrodriguez

Best of luck!

Feb 19, 21 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
abrahamalzoubi

Hello, 

Thank you for the amazing advice! Did you end up getting accepted into any programs?

Nov 2, 21 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
y920

B.A. Art, History of Art and Architecture / UCSB '20 (non-US student)

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL

3.63 - Waived - Waived

all profs, 2 architectural history, 1 art.

Tailored to each school.

• Portfolio

All studio art projects. The two submitted to UCB and UCLA were kind of bad because I didn't realize at the time the importance of showing process (and really regret not including more process), the one submitted later to the other schools were way more detailed.

• Schools

UCB, UCLA, UOregon, UMichigan, GSAPP, Cornell.

• Open house impressions 

Unfortunately almost all of them conflicted with my schedule, went to UCLA and Columbia info session and watched recording of UMichigan portfolio review.

• Results

Waiting for everything besides UOregon and UCB (both in).

• Tips

- Start your portfolio early and the statements afterward, I tried to write SOP first but couldn't even articulate why I wanted a M.Arch, but everything became more clear after the portfolio is completed.

- Go to portfolio reviews, I was able to make revisions to my
portfolio because of specific tips given in the portfolio session that
aren't necessarily part of the "requirements."

Feb 19, 21 12:29 am  · 
 · 
y920

another tip that may be obvious to other people is don't hesitate to apply to private schools (unless app fees are a burden ofc) ;v; I didn't apply to a lot of schools due to their tuition being on the higher end, but realized later than maybe they also have financial aid or scholarships.

Feb 19, 21 12:36 am  · 
 · 
snehalakshmi1

Hey! Congrats on your admits! When did you hear back from UCB?

Feb 19, 21 12:39 am  · 
 · 
y920

Ty! It was 2/17 but someone on another thread said their friend got it 2/16. I don't know why schools send out decisions in batches tho, does anyone know?

Feb 19, 21 12:41 am  · 
 · 
Bishop81

Most private schools have scholarships and for some they are supported with external scholar programs run by independent support organisations.

Feb 19, 21 7:13 am  · 
1  · 
mahnoorfaheem
  • Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated S.B

B.ARCH/ BNU, Lahore, Pakistan/2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

GPA 3.3/4

3 academic from professors. 

• Portfolio

Includes 3 academic and 1 independent project (residence) 

• Schools 

Georgia Tech

Virginia Tech

SCAD

U of Michigan

• Results 

Awaiting.

Got an email from Virginia Tech today saying the school wants to recommend me for admission, asking for TOEFL scores. no mention of aid. what does that mean for my chances there?

Feb 19, 21 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
ellasuskind

The chances of getting admitted are quite big. I got the offer from VT last year with a 3.05 GPA, but strong recommendation letters.

Feb 21, 21 4:55 pm  · 
1  · 
mahnoorfaheem

Did you go to VT? I am currently trying to decide between Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech.

Mar 16, 21 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
ellasuskind

graduate student reapply.

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

GPA 3.4/4

2 academic from professors. 1 from the previous intern employer.

• Portfolio

I was working on my portfolio for two yrs. tried my best,

• Schools 

GSD, Yale, MIT, Columbia, Cornell, Princeton, & Pratt institute

• Results 

Awaiting.

Feb 21, 21 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
ellasuskind

the reason for me reapplying is that I found out the location of the program matters a lot. It decides the start point of a future career as well as the network quality. I applied to 15 universities and got offers from 12 of them including VT, Sci-arc, RISD, Pratt, Georgia, etc. As a result, I tried to reach out to something sharper and city-centered this year. I absolutely do not think it a waste of time and energy doing the application again. Finger cross for everyone, the waiting time is so long this year----- compared to my offer rain last year overall.

Feb 21, 21 5:08 pm  · 
1  · 
dd_x
  • Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

BS Architecture

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.5 / waived / n/a

Two professors/ former employers and a mentor. All principals at their firms and some attended some of the schools I applied to.

All essays were quite personal, it varied based on prompts and word-counts but basically talked about the questions that led me to architecture, the way I design, and what I aspire to do while in grad school.  

• Portfolio

4 of my undergrad projects and four short personal/professional projects

• Schools 

MIT, GSD, Cornell, Princeton, GSAPP, Yale

• Open house impressions 

I did attend most if not all info sessions, open houses, and lectures from each school, in some cases even reaching out to professors that research and work align with mine. 

• Results 

MIT Accepted $$$ 

Awaiting for the rest

• Tips

Start early and take it slow, I started working on my application during the summer and still submitted most applications a couple of minutes before the deadline. This will mainly give you plenty of time, not saying it is supposed to consume your week, but it will help adjust your essay/portfolio and get feedback from peers or professors. I went back and forth between the portfolio and essay, as I felt it should communicate the same idea. Also, don’t feel like you need to add every project you have ever done to your portfolio; I only added projects that felt represented me the most, how I think and what I believe is important. Still, I don’t know if that will help me get in; take it with a grain of salt and just be true to yourself.

Feb 21, 21 7:17 pm  · 
3  · 
natematt

Is $$$ scaled to MIT, or just general?

Feb 23, 21 3:03 am  · 
 · 
KingGizzard

I think that means 75% scholarship

Feb 23, 21 9:30 am  · 
1  · 
KingsMake

Would you be willing to share your portfolio? Congrats

Jan 3, 22 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
lsanielbanrey

BS Arch - Ohio State - Graduated 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.6/4.0 - 159/159/4 - n/a

2 professors, 1 principal at my firm. I went for people who knew me really well, reached out early, sought legitimate advice from them. I was less concerned about their connections.

tip for future applicants: bring a draft of your portfolio to the professors/mentors/employers from whom you are seeking a letter of rec. Include a project in which they were professor in your portfolio. Ask early, as some may limit the number of recs they right to the highest ranked schools / their alma mater. Make the process easy for them as they are probably writing multiple letters. No need to be anxious in asking for a rec - they do this every year : )

I framed a single significant architectural experience for almost all schools and applied it in different ways. Most schools have unique prompts, but I wrote to that which felt most innate to my individuality as an applicant instead of following the prompt to a tee. I did not spend as much time here as I would have hoped : /

• Portfolio

I chose projects as to display a narrative of my thought process as a designer and my value system as a person. For schools in which professors sat on my crits during undergrad, I made sure to include the project which they had critiqued.

I paid extra attention to creating a cohesive and sharp layout. I probably overlooked at other portfolios to the point of comparison anxiety, but it was helpful in getting a sense of what schools had admitted in years past. I also looked at the portfolios of former classmates who had gotten into the schools I was looking at as another benchmark (surprise, we are judged against our classmates each application cycle).

I have worked for two years - I did not  include specific project work but I did graphically display an initiative I started at my firm.

tip for future applicants: don't get bogged down comparing yourself to everyone else's portfolios. Do what you do best and let your individuality shine.

Schools 

OSU, GSD, Yale, U of Michigan, Penn, MIT

• Open house impressions 

Didn't get to any open houses but tried to talk to current students / recent graduates of each program. 

• Results 

OSU $$$

Awaiting the rest as of 2/23

• Tips

Stay off this forum as much as possible? we all only know so much lol

for future applicants: cultivate real relationships with your professors, reach out to alums of your school who took trajectories you are interested in, look at schools where you would like to live or be intent on figuring out their sphere of influence outside of the city in which the school resides. Consider working between undergrad and grad school (at large and small firms if possible). I feel like I have learned a ton and have refined what I want out of my career.

Feb 23, 21 9:23 am  · 
2  · 
lsanielbanrey

write, not right ** oof

Feb 23, 21 9:27 am  · 
lsanielbanrey

update 3/2: waitlisted Yale, in at GSD with $$, in at U of M with $

Mar 2, 21 10:45 am  · 
 · 
KingsMake

Hey congrats, Would you be willing to share your portfolio?

Jan 3, 22 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
pomegranate_purgatory
    Hon. BA Art History and Urban Studies, University of Toronto, 2018
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
    3.86/4.0 

All academic, 2 from undergrad and 1 from an architecture studio program I attended after graduating

I mostly discussed my interest in architectural preservation, sustainability, and urban design, and how my educational background fits with architecture.

• Portfolio

I included 5 projects total, and tried to showcase a range of mediums (many rough process drawings, writing, photography, and making things out of household materials), varying scales (handheld to neighborhood), and durations (weeks to a day). Looking back, I can see that most of my projects have a historical and urban design/planning focus, so curating a theme that relates to your interests and statement may be helpful. It was my first time ever working with InDesign, so I kept it super simple and worked with spreads. 2 of my references were the professors for my projects.

• Schools

Carleton, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, Calgary (all M.Arch 1, 3-year programs)

• Open house impressions 

Calgary had a super informative Zoom open house and gave specific portfolio tips - there was the option to schedule a critique before the application deadline.

UBC gave a lot of portfolio specifics (like ideas for fonts, sizes)  and had two current M.Arch students overview their experiences and work. Really great!

UofT had multiple Zoom open houses (per program and also for portfolio) - their curriculum overview and research studios were the most interesting to me.

Did not see that Carleton had an open house, or else I would have attended - I know the least about Carleton’s program. If anyone has any experience with Carleton to share I would appreciate it!

• Results 

Awaiting as of 2/23

• Tips

I spent the most time editing, editing, editing my Statement and Portfolio blurbs/captions. Tie together your Statement and Portfolio if you can - what themes are similar between the two? Reference a project or two in your Statement. If I had more time and extra wordspace I would have discussed more specific thesis research interests or longterm goals - finding the balance between past, present, and future-oriented can be tough. Always question your portfolio layout - look at each page separately AND together. 

Excited and nervous for results!

Feb 23, 21 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

UofT as a last resort or if it's free. UBC and Carleton are decent (and I know nothing about Calgary), but either of which produces better M.arch grads.

Feb 23, 21 11:15 am  · 
 · 
jb

BA ECON - Arch Studies Minor - UT AUSTIN 2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.6 - DIDNT TAKE - DIDNT TAKE

2 Arch Professors 1 Printmaking Professor

I used my personal essays to state what my interests are in Architecture, and what I want out of my M Arch degree. I used this area to talk about specific resources/faculty/classes that would help me achieve my career and academic goals.

• Portfolio

Definitely the hardest part for me, but I had a good amount of work from my undergrad that reflected my interests and academic goals.

• Schools 

RISD 

UT

SCI-ARC

U of Michigan

Columbia

• Open house impressions 

Haven't gone to any. Most of my impressions of each school were from talking to former faculty/alumn

• Results 

UT - IN

RISD - IN $$$$

Still awaiting rest

• Tips

Start early! Of all the years to apply, I felt like this was the least stressful. The GRE waiver that most schools had allowed me to focus more on my portfolio and personal essay rather than waste months stressing over the GRE. 

Feb 27, 21 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
jchid711

hey congrats! I wanted to know if you applied to RISD early or anything because I applied to their M-ARCH 2 program and have not heard anything yet.

Feb 28, 21 9:22 pm  · 
1  · 
odhc86

Me either! I'm nervous lol

Feb 28, 21 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
jb

Hey! I'm MArch I and they gave me a phone call. I haven't received any official email or anything yet though. I believe they let me know slightly ahead of time because they offered me money. If I were to guess, you should be hearing back in the next few weeks! Good luck :)

Mar 1, 21 1:59 am  · 
 · 
JJCESD

jb- congrats! same here. no idea on $ though.

Mar 1, 21 9:57 am  · 
1  · 
jb

@JJCESD Gratz!

Mar 1, 21 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
jb

@odhc86 @jchid711 just received my official email today. hoping you all received something today!

Mar 1, 21 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
jchid711

I got waitlisted, which is amazing for me coming from a small practical not know architecture school, so I'm proud of myself. thanks for the help!

Mar 1, 21 9:11 pm  · 
1  · 
itriedmybest

Didn't get into Yale and I am kind of disappointed, High GPA, great work on the portfolios and Essays... I also saw people with 3.3 GPAs get in through Grad Cafe ( not that it's by no means a measure of how wonderful an applicant is but I am chocked). I have been seeing people receive calls from GSD and MIT that are also dream schools and I am kind of devastated ...   I don't know if I should email the admissions of the schools I haven't heard back from or if anyone knows the exact date when we hear back from the following schools :

GSD - GSAPP - MIT - Cornell - Pratt ?

Thank you and Congratulations to everyone on their admissions !

Mar 1, 21 12:04 am  · 
1  · 

BFA Interior Design - Pratt - 2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.5 - DIDNT TAKE - DIDNT TAKE

1 Studio Professor, 1 Thesis Professor (also teaches at GSAPP), 1 current employer

Talked about how my personal upbring lead me to design, and how I am ready to move from interior design to architecture. Stated what interests me in Architecture and what aspect of architecture I want to focus on in the future. 

• Portfolio

Mostly undergrad projects, and included two small hospitality projects from work. 

• Schools 

Yale

Columbia

Pratt

• Open house impressions 

Haven't gone to any. 

• Results 

Yale - OUT

Still awaiting rest AND NOT EXPECTING MUCH :(

Mar 1, 21 3:38 am  · 
 · 
Henlee

BA in Architecture Class of 2021 

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.79 - GRE: 163 Math, 164 Verbal, 6 Essay (Submitted this to Yale since they said they would include it and did this over the summer before all the rest got rid of this exam :( - didn't need TOEFL

3-5 depending on the school 

2 were my studio proffs

1 from the dean of my program

1 from my thesis advisor

1 from an employer from my internship 

Depending on the school it changed but I wrote about my response to COVID-19 and how it impacts my design values/goals and also how I see the future of architecture changing due to the pandemic. I also talked about in certain schools my interest on the "Smart City" ideology and the affects of modern technology/social media on our experience of architecture/space in general (how it takes away from us being present and how we can better respond to our new digital lifestyles). Also spoke on some professors that really stood out to me in each program and clubs that I was interested in getting involved.

• Portfolio

7 Total Projects - mainly studio projects - many of my projects centered on human centric design I'd say. I also had a more design related project included in there that was more fine arts (experimental)

• Schools 

Yale, GSD, MIT, Columbia, Princeton, Penn  - Applying for M Arch I Programs

• Open house impressions 

Went to several virtual open houses, but tbh the online ones just aren't great at showing you what these schools are really like. Luckily I was able to visit both Yale and GSD's open house back in 2019 (I was curious early on about these programs). I've always liked GSD given its interdisciplinary range from the other departments like planning within the school as well as the overall projects I saw (especially the options studio ones) really impressed me. I found Yale's openhouse also really great, I think the program to me seems like almost "pure architecture" in a sense, where if you're in the program, you will really hone your skills/knowledge about design and architecture (rather than receive perhaps a more interdisciplinary education at Harvard). This was just my personal impression back in 2019. 

• Results 

In at Yale! - Very grateful and incredibly surprised...did not think my work would be what Yale liked...

Waiting on the others

• Tips

START UR PORTFOLIO EARLY!!!!! I started in November and it stressed me out so much on top of trying to survive school and everything else. 

Mar 1, 21 9:06 am  · 
 · 
KingsMake

Hey any link to your portfolio?

Jan 3, 22 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
BuSe7en

BS in architecture/ University of Minnesota/ 2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.1- 150,161,3.5- Waive

Three studio instructors. No special.

I basically talked about my whole life from now. Why architecture and what is my goal.

• Portfolio

Three studio projects + two self-art installations.

• Schools 

Columbia, Upenn, USC, Syracuse, Umich, Wustl, UMN

• Open house impressions 

NA

• Results 

UMN- In

WUSTL- In

• Tips

I would say start earlier than what you planned. 

Mar 1, 21 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
yg3.9.0.9.8

Bachelor of Design, major in Architecture/ University of Melbourne/ 2020

• GPA: 3.2 GRE: N/A  TOEFL:WAIVED

3 from studio leaders

PS: I mainly talked about my interests in design and architecture since high school, and some conceptual art and philosophy stuff, also a bit why I shifted from installation and photography to architecture.

• Portfolio

Two projects from undergraduate studios, and two from workshops/summer schools. I had my tutors graduated from GSD and UCLA as reviewers and received some pretty good feedbacks.

• Schools 

UCB, UCLA, GSD, Columbia, Rice, Princeton, Yale (I know this is a bit ambitious and risky, but whatever I got Melbourne as the safe one)

• Open house impressions 

I didn't get the chance to view the virtual one due to the time difference, but luckily I viewed the Yale one and it really got me. 

• Results 

UCB - OUT

GSD - OUT

YALE - OUT

• Tips

Don't have any yet, and you better start earlier tho.

Mar 2, 21 12:43 am  · 
1  · 
IhAteDaAp

has anyone heard from MIT since the last time people posted about it ?

Mar 2, 21 2:59 am  · 
4  · 
Ohlordy

Just putting my information out there so I can see who is going where and start conversations :)

Bachelors in Interior Design / University of Louisiana at Lafayette / 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.2 / Waived / Didn't Need

2 Professors from Undergraduate & 1 Boss/Mentor from Dance Job

Depended on the School Submitted too!

• Portfolio

https://issuu.com/kcdooley/doc...

• Schools 

Yale

Cornell

WashU Sam Fox

Syracuse 

RISD

Pratt

UIC

• Open house impressions 

I only attended WashU and UIC and I wasn't overly impressed with either but also wasn't super focused during it.

• Results 

Yale & Cornell - Out (heartbroken but makes sense)

WashU & Pratt - In

RISD - Waitlist

Syracuse & UIC - Awaiting

Give me your thoughts about the programs I've listed please! I want opinions on programs so I choose the best one possible :)

I knew going into this process that my disadvantages were my gpa was incredibly low because of my awful experience in undergrad, I didn't want to spend money on the GRE so I don't have any scores to set me a part from everyone else, and I didn't have any work experience in the field on my resume. But it is what it is! 

Mar 2, 21 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
chen233

Reposting here: 

• Undergraduate Degree/School/Country/ Year Graduated 
    • Environmental Design, UBC SALA/Canada/2019
  • Program Applying for with Path/Track
    • MLA, M.Des and M.Arch
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL/Duolingo/IELTS
    • 83/100 - Waived - Waived 
  • Letter of Recommendations 
    • 3 from previous professors, 2 from current employer (1 principal, 1 supervisor) 
  • Personal Essay/Statement of Purpose
    • Tailored each essay to the school I'm applying for, wrote about my observations and understanding of landscape architecture/architecture through the lens of a queer person & the questions that I started to ask myself while practicing in a landscape office. Wrote about specific interests for each school (including faculty members, course offered, etc) 
  • Portfolio
    • 2 undergraduate studio projects, 1 group installation, 1 duo exhibition (online), 1 group competition, 1 personal project, and 1 duo competition
  • Schools 
    • UCB - MLA II 
    • GSD - MLA I
    • GSD - MDes 
    • Princeton - MArch I
    • MIT - MArch I
  • Open house Impressions:
  • Didn't attend most of them due to conflict with schedule 
  • Results 
    • UCB - waiting
    • GSD - Waitlisted for MLA I, rejected for M.Des
    • Princeton - waiting
    • MIT - Accepted with $$$
  • Tips/Suggestions

- Dedicate a certain amount of time each day (doesn't have to be a lot of time) to work on it and start early! Many people have reiterated on this but I can't stress enough the importance of starting early - you'll be surprised how much you can do if start early and just chip the application away each day. 

- Ask for references at least 12 weeks prior to your deadlines. Most of my references didn't get to the letters until the deadline even with very early notice. Make it easy for them to write & submit your letters - share some of your previous work in their class if they were your profs, or share your draft CV/portfolio. Take the initiative to show them that this is important for you, but don't rush them for any comments/feedbacks. 

- Don't be afraid to show projects outside of the realm of spatial design - any high-quality work that speaks for your ideas and who you are would help. 

- Revisit your statements after you write them again and again! I didn't get to rewrite my personal statement and had to submit them right before deadlines because of full-time work. After submitting, I re-read my essays and genuinely hoped that I could have more time to refine them. Start planning the essays and the portfolio at the same time so that they can inform each other naturally. 

Mar 3, 21 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
IhAteDaAp

when did you hear back from MIT ?

Mar 3, 21 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
chen233

I got an unofficial email and phone call on Feb 22.

Mar 4, 21 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
kop1234

Hi, have you gotten an official acceptance yet from MIT

Mar 5, 21 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
chen233

No not yet. I still haven't received any official packages from them.

Mar 5, 21 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
KingsMake

Hey! Congrats! Do you have any link to your portfolio?

Jan 3, 22 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
kop1234

Worried about MIT, does anyone have any information?

Mar 3, 21 9:21 pm  · 
4  · 
nnon1234

Does MIT usually send out acceptances in phases? Or should we expect them to send out acceptances, then waitlists and rejections all at once?

Mar 10, 21 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
bogoai

Here's mine

• B.S. Architecture, Virginia /2020
    • MLA, and M.Arch
    • 3.58 - Waived - Waived 
    • 2 from previous professors, 1 from employer
    • I don't think there was anything special. I just answered the questions.
  • Portfolio
  • Schools 
    • Weitzman - MArch I 
    • GSD - MLA I, MArch I
    • GSAPP - MArch I 
    • Princeton - MArch I
    • Cornell - MArch I
    • Yale - MArch I
  • Results 
    • Weitzman - Awaiting
    • GSD - Out
    • GSAPP - Awaiting
    • Princeton - Awaiting
    • Cornell - In with $$$
    • Yale - Out
  • Tips/Suggestions

Will do this part later. 

Mar 4, 21 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
SpaceSyntax_fse

Here's mine

• B.Arch, JJ College of Architecture/India-2019
    • MLAUD/ MAUD/ MCP
    • 7.63/10
    • waived
    • 2 from previous professors (1 of them was thesis advisor +practioner), 1 from employer (urban planning)
    • Tailored to each course
  • Portfolio
    • 1 Graduation Thesis
    • 2 Noteworthy Competitions, 
    • 1 Urban Design Studio
    • 1 Arch Design 
    • 2 pages for Arch Photography 
  • Schools 
    • Weitzman - MCP
    • GSD - MAUD
    • GSAPP - MUD 
    • Pratt-GAUD
    • TU Delft: MSC (Urbanism)
    • NUS: MLA, MUP 
    • KTH: Sustainable Urbanism 
  • Results 
    • Weitzman - Awaiting (11 March)
    • GSD - Waitlist
    • GSAPP - Awaiting
    • Pratt- In with $$$
    • NUS: MLA interview  done, awaiting response
    • KTH: Awaiting (9 April) 
    • awaiting others.

I have no clue what this date notification means. I am half stuck feeling anxious, hoping it's not a rejection. Only because Weitzman's research and curriculum best align with my interests, followed by GSAPP. 

Anyone here going to Pratt? Would love to connect and learn more. 

• Tips/Suggestions

Will do this part later. 

Mar 4, 21 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
jchid711

heyy I got into pratt, not too sure about going there because of how expensive it is, how do you feel about the school and which way are you going towards?

Mar 5, 21 6:44 pm  · 
1  · 
autocat

Hey got into Pratt, still waiting on Columbia though not hopeful. Would love to connect and see what you think about the school, feel free to DM me!

Mar 9, 21 3:39 pm  · 
1  · 
SpaceSyntax_fse

Hey jchid711, I am finding the course expensive as well. Hence awaiting on some other options. I love the influence if mixed media on the course, and the program seems intensive too.

Mar 11, 21 2:36 am  · 
 · 
SpaceSyntax_fse

However I’m looking forward to

Mar 11, 21 2:37 am  · 
 · 
SpaceSyntax_fse

However I’m looking forward to exploring other options keenly. Keeping Pratt as a backup. Let me know if you will be attending the student meet, this March end. Perhaps can connect via mail.

Mar 11, 21 2:37 am  · 
 · 
nalbers
    • BA Architectural Studies -- Middlebury College 2020
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
    • 3.61 GPA -- 164/168/4.5 GRE
    • Two architecture professors, boss at interior design internship
    • Why I'm interested in architecture, significant experiences, goals for graduate school, specific reasons for each program
  • Portfolio
  • Schools 
    • Berkeley, Yale, Pratt, WashU, UT Austin, UCLA (all M.Arch I)
  • Open house impressions 
    • Did not attend
  • Results 
    • Berkeley, Yale -- Out
    • Pratt, WashU, UT Austin -- In
    • UCLA -- awaiting
Mar 4, 21 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
jchid711

Hey congrats! I got into Pratt too, how do u feel about the school and which way are you leaning too.

Mar 5, 21 6:43 pm  · 
1  · 
nalbers

Thanks! It seems like a great school, however I'm a bit hesitant about its reputation for focusing on theory/form-based architecture. Also quite a bit more expensive than UT Austin, so I'm probably leaning that way. What are your thoughts?

Mar 6, 21 12:16 am  · 
1  · 
brand0nlim

Has anyone else received an acceptance to Yale from Sunil Bald, but not the aforementioned financial aid details?

Congrats and/or good luck to all!

Mar 4, 21 3:19 pm  · 
1  · 
koratheexplorer

Some folks are discussing it at the end of the other admissions thread: https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150225328/m-arch-fall-2021-application-status/50#last

Mar 4, 21 4:37 pm  · 
1  · 
holybelly

do you go to uwaterloo :O high-5

Mar 5, 21 12:26 am  · 
 · 
brand0nlim

Lol who ‘dis?

Mar 5, 21 7:40 am  · 
 · 
holybelly

Andrew Lev, obvi. ur tech rprt is due 2day

Mar 5, 21 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
baboo.fei

B.S. Arch, minor in CS / US Top 20 / 2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.67 / N/A / N/A

3 for most schools – advisor, dean of school, program chair.

1 additional for Harvard and Columbia – Former internship boss who is a big deal in the industry. For some reason I thought Yale is a really easy school to get into (not true btw…) so omitted Yale.

Pretty straightforward stuff – just whatever the prompt asked for, really. For the Less is More I did a bit of homework and talked about the office tower typology briefly – which was the GSD’s Core III studio prompt this year, which I learned from friends in that studio.

Did a lot of reconnaissance / research / stalking before I wrote so I could really talk about the things that interest each of the schools (or so I thought).

Had a friend who works for Goldman to proofread my resume and essays – got shredded into bits the first couple of rounds but it did markedly improve my stuff, so thankful for that.

• Portfolio

I would caution people against linking their full portfolio here unprotected there has been some plagiarism scandals on Zhihu involving an extensively plagiarized (we are talking like, straight up Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V) portfolio that got admitted into Yale. Also just bad opsec to leave your personal information out in the open like that.

All undergraduate projects, every single bit of material is independent work. Mostly drawings and models, some renderings sprinkled in – especially for the projects done during COVID when I had no access to the studio space. One project that is not a building, and one spread that is just one standalone drawing. Lots of freehand drawing but I would say be very judicious and honest about the quality of your own drawings – if they’re not actually fantastic then consider omission.

I had very little filler content – an issue I see here with a lot of portfolios is there are just pages after pages of material but very little content. Like nobody wants to see 5 spreads of almost identical diagrams / maps / repetitive floor plans. If it does not clearly advance your design process / intention and is not eye-candy (think big, sexy models, drawings, etc.) then cut it out. Also paid attention to rhythm – I tried real hard to fill it with content without make each page too full and lose the sense of hierarchy.

I started with the 12”x18”, 30 page standard of the GSD and worked from there, which proved to be a good decision.

The total amount of time spent is about 3 to 4 weeks – so probably 500-600 man-hours not including other materials. Also spent wayyy too much time digging up images from old hard drives.

• Schools 

All M.Arch I or equivalents. Applied for AP when applicable.

GSD, GSAPP, Yale, Princeton, my Alma Mater.

• Open house impressions 

Only went to (Zoomed into, more like) the GSD one which was actually quite impressive. I really loved the amount of diversity in thought floating between the faculty and students, and just the general sense of vigor of the people.

• Results 

IN – GSD w/ AP. Leaning towards this heavily...

IN – Yale

IN – Alma Mater w/ AP

?? – GSAPP

?? – Princeton

• Tips

I hope someone is reading this stuff since I’m putting in some real effort writing these, hahaha

1.     SHOOT FOR THE MOON

If you can either spare that $100 (not a small sum, I understand) or get a waiver (actually not that uncommon) then you should definitely try for the seemingly unattainable dream school - you might just get in, and they might just throw down wads of cash at ya. You never know. 

2.     START EARLY

Like, the-summer-before early. The portfolio and essays takes so dog-damned long and it would absolutely suck if you have to do the applications alongside your finals, which unfortunately often coincide nicely with the deadlines. I ended up in this situation and boy, that was not a good time.

3.     Send your referers your portfolio, even in draft form

Seems to be common sense but for some reason apparently some people don't do this automatically? Draft form is totally fine - you will also get some feedback on your work-in-progress which can only benefit the product.

4.     Don't look too hard at Issuu when working on your own stuff

Unless you just want to be depressed. Go your own way!

5.     Just ask the admissions office

...if you have a question about the process. Avoid the "but do you think I have a shot" tho, obviously. It's their job so don't hesitate - they won't hold it against you. Be nice.

6.     Be yourself

This has came up in the previous comments but I just want to stress this again. No amount of refinement, skill, and craft can replace genuity (well maybe that's not entirely true but you get the gist). You will discover who you are as a designer as you put together your portfolio and revisit your previous works, so don't be afraid to express it thoroughly. I didn't believe this when I was told this early on in the process but I see it now.

Anyways, best of luck to current and future applicants. Hope y'all succeed in your pursuits. Now onto looking for cheap apartments in Cambridge...

Mar 4, 21 11:20 pm  · 
4  · 
baboo.fei

IN - Princeton (just noticed the print portfolio I sent is actually kinda low-res because of a mistake in exporting the file... yikes)

Mar 5, 21 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
kevkk90

@baboo.fei congrats big time. I just got rejected from GSD and Princeton for the second time and genuinely don't know why. would be possible if I send you my stuff and you give me some comments? I have no idea what to do anymore and very much appreciate the opinion of an expert...

Mar 8, 21 10:50 am  · 
1  · 
baboo.fei

Ya ofc, hit me up. Sorry to hear - I'm sure you will get it on the next try!

Mar 8, 21 11:06 am  · 
1  · 
nnon1234

Can I also see what your portfolio looked like? Also congratulations!

Mar 10, 21 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
lucxl.

sincere advice - thank you!

Aug 24, 21 7:33 am  · 
 · 
bhumikayadav

Does anyone here applied in KU LEUVEN for Master of Science in Conservation of Monuments and Sites????

Mar 9, 21 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
SAEK

Anyone hear back yet from Rice?

Mar 9, 21 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Luques

Yes, I received an update on my portal, no email - MArch option 1 accepted with $$.

Mar 9, 21 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

has anyone heard back from Columbia M-Arch ?? 

Mar 10, 21 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Dokuser

not yet :( pretty sure Columbia has a later release date...

Mar 10, 21 10:48 pm  · 
1  · 
autocat

Nope, I heard we may hear back the end of this week?

Mar 10, 21 10:49 pm  · 
1  · 
flyingbutt23
    • BA Architecture -- UVA
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
    • 3.5 GPA -- Not Taken - Not Taken
    • Three architecture professors, two studio 
    • My background and undergrad and why I'm interested in the university and architecture 
  • Portfolio
    • 4 school architecture projects, 1 Work Experience Project

• Schools 
    • Yale, GSAPP, PENN (all M.Arch I)
  • Open house impressions 
    • Did not attend
  • Results 
    • Yale -- Out
    • UPENN -- In
    • Columbia -- awaiting

Anyone have an idea of when GSAPP will be releasing their decisions?

Mar 13, 21 4:19 am  · 
 · 
Dokuser

heard the 17th

Mar 13, 21 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
tt27

Accepted at Carnegie Mellon for M AAS and M.arch2 with advance standing. Waitlisted at Sci-Arc. 

Any opinions on what I should do? Should I wait for Sci-Arc. ..Also how’s is CMU’s architecture program. What will be the job prospects for an international students after studying from CMU. 

Mar 13, 21 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
cc20

BFA, GPA: 3.3,

In - Pratt $$, SAIC, USC 

Out - Yale, GSD, UCB

Waitlist - RISD 

Any thoughts on which school should I attend for M.Arch 1? (Leaning towards USC) 

Mar 15, 21 8:15 pm  · 
1  · 
Macarena.Delapiedra
    • B.Arch (5 yr program) - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
    • 3.4 GPA - Not Taken - Not Taken
    • Three architecture professors
  • Schools 
    • Upenn, GSAPP (MS. AAD)
  • Open house impressions 
    • Did not attend
  • Results 
    • UPENN - IN!
    • Columbia - waiting...

Pretty sure I'm committing to UPenn. If any of you are thinking about going there I would love to get to know you before the start of classes! :)

Mar 16, 21 9:46 am  · 
1  · 
Macarena.Delapiedra

UPdate: In at GSAPP

Mar 22, 21 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
nat.silva

Hey everyone!

I created an Interior Architecture / Interior Design graduates study forum, if this feels too crowded for finding information on those specific topics.

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Mar 16, 21 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
chel091

Hi :)

Dual Degrees: B.S. Physics, minor: math | B.A. Russian, minor: public admin / Florida State University / 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.4 - Waived - Waived

3 letters; one from a physics professor, one from a Russian professor, one from former boss at a national lab.

Really leaned into my journey through education and emphasized my interest in remaining in academia/becoming a professor.  I also made sure to connect all of my undergraduate experiences to my current career ambitions. Talked mostly about my involvement in education and how I want to use architecture to improve education (mainly the design of learning environments, classrooms, and laboratories). Expounded on what I want to research, write, critique, and design (ancient and indigenous architecture and learning environments).

I should note that since I have graduated I have been working as an adjunct at a technical college teaching physics and I had teaching experience prior to my current job. 

• Portfolio

Carried the theme of education into my portfolio. I had two original designs intended for K-12 education. One was a furniture design and the other was a learning environment. The visual renderings aren't great or advanced but I made sure to express the problem, my proposed solution, and the benefits in written form. I then included 2 writing samples analyzing the cultural significance of architecture in ancient and indigenous cultures. Decided to do this since I am more interested in the history, theory, and analysis of design within academia more than the practice. Lastly, I included original architectural photographs of St. Petersburg, Russia.

• Schools

Clemson, Georgia Tech, MIT

• Open house impressions 

N/A

• Results 

Clemson - In (offered assistantship)

The rest awaiting

• Tips

I would say: start early, create first - ask for opinions later, & stick to what you know. Really let your own voice, perspective, and experiences shine through. But then again, what do I know lol

Mar 16, 21 7:41 pm  · 
1  · 
chel091

Georgia Tech - In

Mar 17, 21 9:50 am  · 
1  · 
bp0425

hey! anyone willing to join the reoccurring discussion of YSOA vs GSD please share your thoughts here https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Mar 17, 21 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
miabarre_

Has anyone heard back from any UK schools? I am waiting on UCL Bartlett (received a request for portfolio last week) and AA. Is it common from them to reach out to everyone for interviews first?

Mar 17, 21 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Gaidamack

I got my offer for Emtech at the AA two days ago, and the Bartlett will send out decision by next week.

Mar 18, 21 2:57 am  · 
 · 
cc20

Is anyone still waiting for MArch 1 UCLA and GSAPP??

Mar 18, 21 12:36 pm  · 
3  · 
autocat

I am for GSAPP,
feeling like it’s going to be a rejection at this point :/

Mar 18, 21 12:43 pm  · 
1  · 
broccoliii

Yeah it's prob a rejection from GSAPP at this point, as I heard couple ppl got accepted yesterday :/

Mar 18, 21 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
L.Stone

Yep, still waiting to hear from UCLA.

Mar 19, 21 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Interloper25

Still waiting for GSAPP , convinced that it's a rejection. So devastated.

Mar 19, 21 11:10 am  · 
1  · 
aditiarali

Got accepted at UCLA, haven't heard from GSAPP, maybe we could be waitlisted?

Mar 30, 21 3:17 am  · 
 · 
broccoliii

I think GSAPP already sent out waitlist notification few days ago

Mar 30, 21 11:47 am  · 
 · 
d.kk

M.Arch 1 at USC vs. SCI-Arc? I am extremely confused and it sucks that I am not able to visit both schools. What are your opinions on their programs and job prospects?

Mar 19, 21 4:24 am  · 
 · 
L.Stone

Did you do the 360 video walk-through video that SCI-Arc sent out? It was a good virtual visit.

Mar 19, 21 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: