Archinect
anchor

M.Arch I YSOA vs GSD

bp0425

Anyone willing to leave their thoughts regarding either program will be greatly appreciated, especially current or past students. Let's set out stereotypical assumptions and feel free to contradict/set the record straight!

YSOA: 3 year program, one semester less than GSD; leans more heavily towards theory/history/phenomenology in architecture;  pluralistic faculty; less diverse student body, smaller class size=more studio space; post-graduation paths more closely related to traditional architectural practices

GSD: 3.5 year program, global approach to design and space-making; diverse student body that widens discussions of certain topics; cross-registering at MIT; post-graduation paths (wide spectrum?)

Mar 17, 21 7:43 pm
bp0425

*specific course details/opportunities

YSOA: no thesis involved in M.Arch I; First year building project; anyone aware or can give an idea of Dean's direction/focus for the program?

GSD: more opportunities to apply for fellowships (more globally connected); more crossover between content of courses with MLA, MAUD; same question: anyone aware or can give an idea of Dean's direction/focus for the program?

Mar 17, 21 8:11 pm  · 
2  · 
nastronaut

Can't forget how critical an "extra" semester is when it costs around 25k, and you lose working time! I think that's the most objective difference, as most other things are really dependent upon your background, what you want out of your education, and where you want to go. Very personal.

Mar 18, 21 11:33 am  · 
 · 
bp0425

Definitely agree that it is a more personal decision rather than an objective difference in pedagogy than if you were to compare let's say a program like Columbia GSAPP to YSOA (GSAPP seems to be heavily speculative and experimental with digital mediums.)

Mar 18, 21 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
bp0425

It is more difficult for me to identify a difference in discourse and pedagogy between GSD and YSOA, aside from the general fact that GSD seems to address global/ecological issues more frequently and on a larger scale while YSOA approaches creating space through a wide range of perspectives/courses that are independently focused in their own way.

Mar 18, 21 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
RichardV

Thanks for starting this. I'm having the same questions of GSD vs YSOA

Mar 18, 21 9:38 am  · 
2  · 
square.

both are machines for reproducing the architectural status quo. i don't mean that positively or negatively- but as an observation of the size of these programs and their impact on discourse.

Mar 18, 21 9:51 am  · 
monosierra

More GSD folks than Yale at SOM for sure.

Mar 18, 21 10:17 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

YSOA offers the opportunity (A rare one) to do an MBA at the same time. I personally find YSOA's elective studios sometimes more diverse than the GSD's - outside of Notre Dame, does any school really go into depths into classical architecture?  A smaller class size and the lack of landscape and UD departments could be a good thing in terms of competition for limtied fab resources though you do lack interaction with other designers.

Mar 18, 21 10:16 am  · 
 · 
seel2884

Are you a current YSOA student pursuing an MBA? If so, could you provide a little more insight into what your experience has been and what made you decide to pursue one? This element of YSOA has a great deal of appeal for me personally, and I would like to understand more about its specifics.

Mar 18, 21 10:26 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Nope, it was just something I looked into way back. It is tough as you have to gain admissions to both schools independently and then sequence your semesters to finish them almost simultaneously. About 2 or 3 students tops enroll in it per semester - you should ask their Admissions about it as it is pretty unique. Folks tend to go into the business side of design after this dual degree.

Mar 18, 21 10:57 am  · 
 · 
seel2884

Thank you for your response. The one aspect that seems slightly farfetched for me personally is being accepted to the SOM. (Not that it is impossible.) I assume they are also more likely to select someone who has already matriculated at Yale than someone applying from the outside, but this is me solely speculating. I was also reading and understand that if enrolled in the MBA program your M ARCH requirements are lowered to allow for enough time to pursue both degrees. Nonetheless, I can imagine it is an absurd amount of work.

Mar 18, 21 11:26 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Depends a lot on the office location and seniority. SOM Chicago hires from UMich, UIUC, UIC for instance. If they're looking for a mid-level hire, your project experience would count for far more than where you got your degree. The leadership echelon indeed comes from a few schools but even then, being great at the political intrigue of such a large firm would make or break a career more so than your alma mater.

Mar 18, 21 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
nastronaut

I think SOM in seel2884's comment is in reference to the School of Management, where one would get an MBA from at Yale. Also, screw Skidmore loool its the worst

Mar 18, 21 12:32 pm  · 
3  · 
monosierra

Hahaha you're right! Totally forgot they call their business school the School of Management.

Mar 18, 21 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
DustFlâneur

Does anyone know how many students are typically enrolled into GSD's MArch 1 programme?

Mar 18, 21 10:40 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

50 to 60 usually

Mar 18, 21 10:55 am  · 
2  · 
nastronaut

Around 20ish join in the second year for advanced standing though

Mar 18, 21 11:28 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Geez they really boosted the AP intake that much?

Mar 18, 21 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
DustFlâneur

I emailed the admissions director and apparently there are only 9 students who are granted AP status.

Mar 18, 21 12:41 pm  · 
1  · 
nastronaut

Oh oop i read 20 somewhere, saying around 70 students graduate each year. I guess that would make sense of there are 60 joined by around 9 students. I just thought there was close to 50ish students starting the first year

Mar 18, 21 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

That makes more sense. The MLA AP intake is massive but MArch is usually less than a dozen.

Mar 18, 21 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
baboo.fei

9 is the correct number here. Last year was 12 I believe.

Mar 31, 21 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
nastronaut

I think I'm biased because I only applied to yale, and it's probably where I'm going in the fall. My biggest issue with the GSD is the sheer scale of the school, as well as the student body. Very large, and competitive, which isn't particularly conducive to a good learning environment. You'll get the "prestige" from both schools, but I deeply believe yale will give you a more wholesome architectural education. There's something to be said about building a house in your first year. You'll enter the last two with your feet on the ground. Again, this is very dependent on your undergraduate and professional experience. My undergrad was a very theoretical architecture program, and more theory isn't what I need in my development right now, although I'm sure I'll get it at yale. 

Mar 18, 21 11:46 am  · 
3  · 
seel2884

I thought I was the only one! I'm feeling somewhat remorseful now, however, as I do really like the GSD. I think this feeling will fade away soon, but I can't help wishing I applied to both. I would agree with you that Yale is a much better environment and will likely lead me down a similar path. Lastly, you can't get more wholesome than Deborah Berke. She is totally right on with her philosophy and grounding principles. For those interested, I recommend watching her lecture entitled "Everyday 2020" as it provides a great insight into her understanding of current architectural discourse and likely how the entire YSOA operates. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1xz0tj_Wdg

Mar 18, 21 1:36 pm  · 
5  · 
analoguearchitect

Just wanted to chime in here and hopefully get this conversation started again. I've been agonizing over GSD vs YSoA for the past couple weeks and have spoken to about 10 students from each school plus reached out to faculty. Just finished speaking to Anna Dyson and Alan Organschi this week. 

I think Yale is on its journey to being a leader in the architecture field. The direction that Deborah Berke positions Yale students to be at the forefront of addressing coming global issues. The historical notion of being conservative/strictly design oriented is quickly fading (although they still have their tendencies to prefer hand-drawings). Anna also said that the distinction between Yale/Harvard is that Harvard is a little more corporate. She walked me through images of Gund and Rudolph Hall and Gund is just super open - sort of like a "big brother" feeling where you're constantly being watched. On the other hand Rudolph seems to better balance a sense of privacy and collaboration. Yale students also (from her perspective) seem to be more of the troublemaker activist types whereas Harvard tends to aim more toward corporate firms.

On the other end, my conversations with current GSD students have been utterly fantastic. They've taken time to speak with me and can really articulate points (whereas my instagram DMs to Yale students have been a little lackluster). I don't think the "competitive cutthroat" reputation of the GSD is much of an issue these days. Living in Cambridge also has its perks (but is more expensive). I think that their larger, more diverse program, is appealing because you're able to be exposed to so many different fields (within design). However from my emails with Faculty from the GSD, it's pretty much limited to 20 minute slots that you schedule through a link (seems a little limited/impersonal). Yale has fantastic connections with the environmental school and also has more elective slots than the GSD so you are able to explore those. Yale's limitations are that it doesn't have as diverse a selection of classes within the school of architecture. The GSD is the opposite - lots of courses but few slots.

I'm still trying to figure out which school better suits me. Would love to talk to other students who are also thinking the same.  

Mar 26, 21 4:33 pm  · 
2  · 
kx.rbz

are you m.arch 1 or 2? you seem to have a much stronger alignments with Yale then the GSD. And your observations about ysoa's trajectory seems accurate. Especially with it's new leadership

Mar 26, 21 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
analoguearchitect

I'm M.Arch 1. I think GSD is somewhat TBD at the moment since I'm scheduling some calls with professors. However they're doing a great job hosting little events for students to start meeting each other. So far Yale admin has been a little MIA.

Mar 26, 21 5:51 pm  · 
1  · 
kx.rbz

since you're march 1, i'd recommend ysoa. you'd have more time to be part of what you described - and to play a role in it. i always recommend to go to a place where you will not only grow, but will have a big impact. harvard is more corporate, but the real distinction is the size. princeton, ysoa and mit are serious/realistic about trying to make attendance affordable, gsd is not as able to because of it's size. either way, both schools are excellent and have strong alumni networks. there isn't a wrong choice.

Mar 26, 21 6:27 pm  · 
1  · 
kx.rbz

i think generally ysoa is having a tough time with their admissions logistic. but that is more of an administration droping the ball and not indictive of what the school is like pedagogically. are both schools giving you good financial aid?

Mar 26, 21 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
analoguearchitect

I've got the same amount of aid from both schools, but YSoA is a little less expensive since it's a shorter program. Will definitely try to reach out and negotiate for more aid. I'm a little curious about your background actually? Were you a GSD/YSoA student?

Mar 26, 21 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
kx.rbz

well, you can certainly use gsd offer to pursued ysoa to give you a 2-4 thousand bucks. and neither, i went to gsapp. my partner went to ysoa. good luck

Mar 26, 21 7:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Luques

you all are making me question whether i should go to GSD : (  and feeling bad about not having the option to go to ysoa ... 

Mar 26, 21 10:31 pm  · 
1  · 
itiswhatitis

​I've had the same experience with yale students thru Instagram dm haha, its a little difficult to get advice from them :(

Mar 29, 21 5:08 pm  · 
1  · 
clevelandcynic

I went to MIT for undergrad and had a lot of GSD faculty on my reviews. I definitely found a lot of them aloof and impersonal, more interested in raising their own talking points than actually discussing your work. I didn't attend the GSD, so this is obviously a brief and possibly biased opinion. But your feelings about limited/impersonal contact with GSD faculty don't surprise me based on my limited experience with them.

Mar 29, 21 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
analoguearchitect

At the same time, from conversations with current GSD students, I've heard that there are professors that have actually just sat down with them to talk through assignments that they had trouble with and offer advice - generally making themselves pretty available. So it likely balances out across the faculty (they're more geographically diverse but that affects their availability).

Mar 29, 21 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
adesignerdesigner

I know this thread is for yale vs gsd, but if anyone has any opinions on yale vs penn, please help me out! here is the link https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Mar 30, 21 1:51 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: