Archinect
anchor

Responsibilities as an Intern?

vitzune

I’ve started an “internship” in a studio recently. I’ve been here for two weeks and the only thing I’ve done so far is a Welcome Workshop that lasted a week and now they’ve made me do 3 sections in autocad which took me two days to complete them. Also they’re making me read a book on history of the place where they’re developing a project. I feel like I’m not doing much. 

What can I expect? More responsibilities or is it always gonna be like this?  

Nov 5, 20 11:02 am

1 Featured Comment

All 11 Comments

apscoradiales

3 sections in ACAD shouldn't take that long.

They may not be busy enough so that's why maybe they made you read a book. As a junior or intern, you can expect anything and everything including taking garbage out. Gets better with time... 2-3 years.

If it doesn't in that office, move to another.

Nov 5, 20 12:12 pm  · 
1  · 
vitzune

Honestly it’s a place where I’m probably going to stay for 3-4 months since it’s called “prácticas profesionales” here in Spain and that’s how long they are. There’s a chance you can get hired after you finish them.

Nov 5, 20 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

is this a paid internship?

Nov 5, 20 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
vitzune

I think it is not. It was supposed to be at first but now I don't know, since it's through university they don't HAVE to pay you.

Nov 10, 20 10:52 am  · 
Non Sequitur

So, you're getting uni credits instead of pay?

Nov 10, 20 10:59 am  · 
 · 

You should know whether or not you're getting paid.

Nov 10, 20 12:44 pm  · 
3  · 

It's been two weeks, give it some time. Sometimes firms hire for work that will be coming, not for work they have to do NOW. If it's like this in a couple 2-3 months, come back and ask for advice again.

Nov 5, 20 1:18 pm  · 
1  · 
vitzune

It’s a small studio and they only have 2 on going projects right now. One of them is a house and the other one is an office building. They already have people working on both so I’m apparently joining a team but it’s been very lazy.

Nov 5, 20 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

An office with only two projects doesn't sound like a good place to be. I'm a part-time solo firm and I have at least 5 projects.

Nov 6, 20 11:08 am  · 
1  · 
senjohnblutarsky

Find some friendly looking people and ask them if they need help with anything. 

Nov 5, 20 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
vitzune

It’s worse when I say there’s only 3 people working at the studio right now... there’s more 4 people but they’re staying home since one of them got Covid and those 4 were working together by that time.

Nov 5, 20 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
vitzune

It’s worse when I say there’s only 3 people working at the studio right now... there’s more 4 people but they’re staying home since one of them got Covid and those 4 were working together by that time. 

Nov 5, 20 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I think it's safe to assume that your firms management is distracted by other matters like the office COVID outbreak.   Do you have a supervisor you directly report to?  If so, gently contact them and communicate to them you have time to do more work than you are currently assigned.  Also, perhaps take the time to learn new skills with the software the offices uses.

Nov 5, 20 1:31 pm  · 
1  · 
BabbleBeautiful

There's no normal internship experience. In an office that small I think management is aware of the workload that's available and being distributed. You're obviously eager to learn and if you truly feel underutilized I suggest letting them know you have the capacity for more tasks.

Nov 5, 20 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Archinect

Check out this piece we published in our Archinect's Guide to Job Titles series, looking at a typical internship role:

Archinect's Guide to Job Titles: Intern

Nov 5, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Those 3 sections were a test - they want to gauge what your real ability level is before they start assigning you more work, because the last thing they want is to give you more than you can handle and then end up having to redo it themselves.

Nov 5, 20 2:47 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

also, nothing wrong with making coffee. I make coffee, my boss makes us coffee too, and we share prepping lunch too...it’s a team effort, all of it, especially in a small office. be a team player, let them know you want more to do and you can handle it. show them what you can do. I also always dive into the history of the places we do projects, that’s where the leads and gems are hidden that will inform your projects, where to find the clues to the concept  that the client will embrace etc. I love that part of a project and always spend too much time on it, but it usually pays off.

Nov 6, 20 2:48 am  · 
1  · 
kenchiku

You're going to get lots of different answers because the word 'Intern' and 'Internship' mean vastly different things in different places.

Intern/internship in Canada is something you do AFTER you graduate with a Masters, obtain a mentor, and register with the National Certification Board to start counting your hours towards obtaining your license.

Internship somewhere else may simply mean a few months of working between school semesters. In this situation what you're being given for work makes a bit more sense.

Nov 6, 20 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

OP is in spain, I believe. Also, it's not called the National Certification Board, it's called the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB).

Nov 6, 20 9:13 am  · 
 · 
kenchiku

Apologies, I didn't mean to capitalize National. Meant to just say it was a national governing body that oversaw the internship. My student status is showing.

Nov 6, 20 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: